Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Simpson - why?

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Hey folks,

It seems quite odd that we seem to be in the process of bidding a six figure sum (reportedly 400k) for Robbie Simpson for a number of reasons.
a) It is quite a lot to pay for a striker when surely our main priorities lie in midfield
b) He doesnt seem that prolific and doesnt seem to be a target man figure?

What do other people think? I would have expected someone with a better scoring ratio and with more physical prowress, esp for that sum of money.

Does anyone know anything more about him?

Cheers

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I tell you what I would expect. Everybody to let our manager bring in the players he sees fit to improve the team. If that means paying 400k for Robbie Simpson then I'm willing to trust big Russ.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Coventry fans seem to like him, apparantely he works hard but Is played out of position all the time, give him a chance anyway as someone mentioned a while back Peterborough paid 250k for George Boyd from Stevenage and look at him and them now.
If we do sign him, I trust slade's judgement.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The George Boyd arguement is slightly different in that it is almost half the price for a winger who had scored lots of goals. This simpson scored 1 in 2 in the conference for 2 seasons but hasn't scored in the championship all be it if he was played in midfield. On the plus side he must be half decent to make 60 appearances (is this as sub ?) though.

Overall I think for 400k we could get a proven L1 player

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Overall I think for 400k we could get a proven L1 player[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this. But then big Russ has done the biz with Dicker so i trust his judgement. just seems like lots of money (compare Murray's goal ratio with Simpsons)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of course it may not turn out to be anything like £400,000 if indeed we are even remotely interested.

Or there may be attachments, like £100,000 plus extras if we get promoted, he scores 'x' amount of goals etc etc. It's a guessers market right now!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
400k would be huge for league 1 and should buy you one if the best players in the division. seems a bit odd though as we've got loads of forwards two of which cost a combined 450k (murrey 300k plus davies 150k). i assume bloom views them as investments as they are both fairly young.

if we spend all our budget on simpson then it would seem a touch silly. but perhaps we're planning to spend this sort of amount on several players?

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I tell you what I would expect. Everybody to let our manager bring in the players he sees fit to improve the team. If that means paying 400k for Robbie Simpson then I'm willing to trust big Russ.

Is the correct answer. Russell is probably the only manager who I have completely trusted in my young career as an Albion fan. I've always been a bit worried by others and their decisions in the recent past.

Any decision he makes I'll stand behind, 100%.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
The fee (if we buy Simpson) will be undisclosed anyway as we wont want to alert other clubs to the kind of money we have. IF we spend that much on Simpson 2 scenarios are possible. 1) We have a decent pot of dosh available, 2) Murray is going?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The only thing is that Simpson wants to leave only if he is guarenteed to play upfront and not out of position, well so somebody said. If he is playing upfront, his record is as people say 2 decent seasons in the conference, seems a silly price to pay. If we are signing him as a striker, would much rather we got somebody like akinfenwa who is big and strong which is what we lack, or someone proven at this level like Danny Graham who would be fairly cheap.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Overall I think for 400k we could get a proven L1 player

But then big Russ has done the biz with Dicker so i trust his judgement[/QUOTE]

Is there something I don't know on this? Has a deal been done for Dicker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here