Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Savage

Yoda

English & European
I always thought he was thinking two stages ahead and playing nice first time balls, it was a shame the rest of our team just weren't thinking along those same lines. :down:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Playing for a tactically astute manager (Slade) would suit him whereas one of Adams' biggest failings seemed to be his lack of tactics, therefore when Savage played for us he didn't do particularly well. He basically came down here to get fit then went back to Derby who then had a change of manager themselves and walked back into their team.

Slade would get the best out of a fit Robbie Savage playing for a club that paid his wages. Whether that would be good enough is another matter!

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Anyone see the story on pg 11 of the Argus on Monday (?) about how Savage
had been turned away from a Brighton nightclub coz he didn't have the right ID?

The article said this happened when he was on loan at the club ie 5 or 6 months ago!!!

Another complete NON-story (and out of date non-story!) from the Arsegas!!!

:nono: That was on the podcast in October! The Mirror nicked it from their, as did The Sun - but at least they did it within a week.

Robbie Savage was a top bloke, and did loads of off-pitch stuff for the club, but it was clear he wasn't fit on it. Therefore I don't think we saw the "best" of him last season. However, back at Derby, after a month playing for us, he did pretty well for Nigel Clough playing in a midfield holding role.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He was on Soccer a.m. recently and admitted he was crap at Brighton and said that he thinks his legs have gone.

Still think hes a smashing fella though.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I thought he was pretty average for us but I followed his progress a little when he went back to Derby and he seemed to be a first team regular and contributing alot in games. Either Clough was judging him on his past abilities or he proved himself to be up to the job?

I reckon if his hearts in it, he could be pretty good for Tranmere.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I thought he was pretty average for us but I followed his progress a little when he went back to Derby and he seemed to be a first team regular and contributing alot in games. Either Clough was judging him on his past abilities or he proved himself to be up to the job?

I reckon if his hearts in it, he could be pretty good for Tranmere.

he had a month with us to get fit, which obviously helped, and was then playing under a manager who obviously knew how to use him

as somebody else said, id be interested to see how he gets on in this league with a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players - something that adams so blatantly lacked this time around

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
There are some v unkind comments in this thread (not like NSC at all!)

He was trying to reinvent himself as he hadn't played 1st team footy for a while. He tried taking a step down the league, and being the solid, knowledgeable old pro deep in midfield. Concentrating on intercepting the opposition and simple, square passing - nothing flash, nothing too energetic.

Lots of players have pulled this off in their careers (Gary McAllister took us apart doing this when he played for Cov, I recall).

But basically it wasn't what we needed at the time and it didn't do us any favours at all; our problem was we needed midfielders who could take the initiative.

If Tranny need that sort of player, he could be a success. If not, don't touch.

I always thought he was thinking two stages ahead and playing nice first time balls, it was a shame the rest of our team just weren't thinking along those same lines. :down:
What he said.

His main failure was his apparent unwillingness to run around like a headless chicken and hoof the ball vaguely in the direction of whoever-it-was-up-front-that-would-have-been-a-brilliant-striker-if-only-he-got-the-service.

What he said.

His main failure was his apparent unwillingness to run around like a headless chicken and hoof the ball vaguely in the direction of whoever-it-was-up-front-that-would-have-been-a-brilliant-striker-if-only-he-got-the-service.

that's because that was Frasier's job:bla::bla:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here