Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Keane

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well either they wanted Barry or they didn't. They offered £16m plus Finnan (whilst still having Alonso on the books). MON held out for a straight cash deal of £18m and Liverpool went cold on it. Just seems a little odd when they're happy to pay well over the odds for Keane (who's a good player, but his best days are probably behind him now), yet won't go an extra £2m to land Barry, who's stock has rarely been higher.

:shrug:

What do I care.
I'm not sure I follow your logic Easy, £18m for Barry = good, £19m for Keane = bad?

I'm confused.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not sure I follow your logic Easy, £18m for Barry = good, £19m for Keane = bad?

I'm confused.

I'm not saying £18m for Barry is particularly good either, SB. The market is ridiculously inflated, and the fact that Carrick went for £18.6m a couple of years ago inevitably means Barry is also going to be in that kind of bracket, particularly now he's back in the England fold.

But Liverpool were so close to meeting Villa's valuation, that quibbling over a couple of million there to seal the deal for Barry now seems rather strange in light of the fact they were clearly quite happy to pay OVER the odds for Keane, with no fannying about.

In an inflated market, I can (kind of) see why Barry is valued at £18m. But I still can't see why Keane is valued at over £20m.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I'd like to see Liverpool win it this year for a change, but mainly because i have them in a bet.

Robbie Keane yet another "final piece in the jigsaw" for Liverpool.

They will not win the league.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm not saying £18m for Barry is particularly good either, SB. The market is ridiculously inflated, and the fact that Carrick went for £18.6m a couple of years ago inevitably means Barry is also going to be in that kind of bracket, particularly now he's back in the England fold.

But Liverpool were so close to meeting Villa's valuation, that quibbling over a couple of million there to seal the deal for Barry now seems rather strange in light of the fact they were clearly quite happy to pay OVER the odds for Keane, with no fannying about.

In an inflated market, I can (kind of) see why Barry is valued at £18m. But I still can't see why Keane is valued at over £20m.
I think the problem with Barry was the Alonso deal, where Liverpool themselves were quibbling with Juventus for a couple of million. Juve eventually turned their attentions elsewhere, which left the Barry deal in limbo as Liverpool had a similar midfielder and no cash. They suddenly needed Keane more, rather than wanting both, having sold Crouch.

I think strikers are always at a premium, Keane's a good player. He's scored 20+ in the last two seasons, ans the one main criticism of him over his career has been he was an inconsistent scorer but at 27 he should be coming into his prime. I think it is a great signing for Liverpool, Keane playing off Torres would be an excellent pairing although I can see Benitez using him wide in the 4-3-3 system they played last year, which would be a waste.

fenech1elphick1

Apr 3, 2008
shoreham
what an excellent signing that that will be i can see him getting well up there in the assisting charts and the scoring charts

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spurs have got a great price for the 28-year old, but their season will hinge on how wisely Levy spends that money. Every top team needs 4 good strikers, so with Keane and Defoe gone he needs to spend £20 million on 2 quality strikers before the season starts.

The reality is that that is extremely unlikely to happen. Spurs are likely to panic-buy and splurge £15million on a donkey, and £5 million on a 4th choice. They've previously paid well over the odds for Rebrov, Darrent Bent, and if you go back a bit Chris Armstrong, while they've spent small amounts on Championship strikers like Rasiak and Zamora.

Keane is pretty fit, so Liverpool should get 4 years out of him, with 2 good ones at least. I still think they are light in midfield and defence, so are running to stand still.

You have to feel sorry for Spurs. This signing is partly to ensure that the team most likely to finish 5th will go into the season with a considerably weaker squad than Liverpool who are likely to finish 4th. This signing should guarantee Liverpool Champions League football, so the signing needs to be seen in the context not just of what they've paid but what state that's left a rival team in now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every top team needs 4 good strikers, so with Keane and Defoe gone he needs to spend £20 million on 2 quality strikers before the season starts.

He'll be needing more than that once Berbatov is, errr...ov.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spurs are up about £14 mill on transfer dealing this summer. It looks as though they'll sign Bentley for c. £17mill though - now being linked with Pavlyuchenko.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
if liverpool now signed a couple of decent wingers instead of that cvnt pennant and benajew they might be in with half a chance

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Spurs have got a great price for the 28-year old, but their season will hinge on how wisely Levy spends that money. Every top team needs 4 good strikers, so with Keane and Defoe gone he needs to spend £20 million on 2 quality strikers before the season starts.

The reality is that that is extremely unlikely to happen. Spurs are likely to panic-buy and splurge £15million on a donkey, and £5 million on a 4th choice. They've previously paid well over the odds for Rebrov, Darrent Bent, and if you go back a bit Chris Armstrong, while they've spent small amounts on Championship strikers like Rasiak and Zamora.

Keane is pretty fit, so Liverpool should get 4 years out of him, with 2 good ones at least. I still think they are light in midfield and defence, so are running to stand still.

You have to feel sorry for Spurs. This signing is partly to ensure that the team most likely to finish 5th will go into the season with a considerably weaker squad than Liverpool who are likely to finish 4th. This signing should guarantee Liverpool Champions League football, so the signing needs to be seen in the context not just of what they've paid but what state that's left a rival team in now.

I think you have pretty much summed up the problem with Spurs there.

My guess is they will do the usual and bring in a big name like Villa or someone of that stature to appease the fans only to have lost the backbone of their squad in the process.

When you look at the steady progress and improvement by Portsmouth, Villa and Everton over the last few years Spurs have really lost the plot with transfers this summer. 2 weeks to go and with Berbatov likely to be on his way only Darren Bent to rely on for goals not looking good for them!

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Every top team needs 4 good strikers.

Are you in-ruddy-sane?

Brighton - 2 good strikers
Man United - 2 good strikers
Arsenal - 3/4 good strikers
Chelsea - 1 good striker
Liverpool - 2 good strikers

Barcelona - 2 good strikers
Real Madrid - 2 good strikers

the list could go on

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Are you in-ruddy-sane?

Brighton - 2 good strikers
Man United - 2 good strikers
Arsenal - 3/4 good strikers
Chelsea - 1 good striker
Liverpool - 2 good strikers

Barcelona - 2 good strikers
Real Madrid - 2 good strikers

the list could go on

Man utd have rooney, ronaldo, tevez and saha. i make that 4 good strikers.

Barcelona HAD eto, henry, gujohnson, messi, ronaldinho, Bojan krkic, dos santos. thats seven.

Chelsea have kalou as back up who has a brilliant scoring record for the amount of time he has played. and shevchenko is not a BAD back up now is he?

Real Madrid, Raul, Van Nistlerooy, Saviola, Baptista.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i also re-iterate my belief that darren bent will be a blessing in disguise. Him being thrown into the team because of keane's sale may prove to be a brilliant outcome. He has been fantastic in pre season now that he has some confidence again.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008

Barcelona HAD eto, henry, gujohnson, messi, ronaldinho, Bojan krkic, dos santos. thats seven.

Chelsea have kalou as back up who has a brilliant scoring record for the amount of time he has played. and shevchenko is not a BAD back up now is he?

raul - shit. baptista - midfielder.
messi, ronaldinho, dos santos - not strikers.
ok, chelsea have drogba and kalou, that's 2 for them then. shev - awoooooO!
ronaldo - not striker
saha - shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. man utd have 2.

barney

Jul 31, 2006

man united have tevez and rooney. saha always injured. ronaldo winger.

barca HAD (yes had..) them but now have henry eto'o bojan.... dos santos ronaldinho messi gudjohnsen do not count as strikers..

cheslea have drogba and anelka.. kalou plays on the wing for them.. shev is poor for a top premiership side..

saviola has left madrid, baptista plays in midfield..

so in everything you just said, you were wrong :clap:

barney

Jul 31, 2006
i also re-iterate my belief that darren bent will be a blessing in disguise. Him being thrown into the team because of keane's sale may prove to be a brilliant outcome. He has been fantastic in pre season now that he has some confidence again.

agree with that. your previous post, utter bollocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here