Votes: 7 9.2%
  • OUT

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My grandmother was from South Yorkshire and she always served Yorkshire pudding before the main course, flat like a pancake covered in gravy. The reason she gave was that it would take the edge of people's appetite so they wouldn't notice how little meat was served.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The problem with your preferred way is that it provide so much filler that it negates the need for the prize element of Sunday lunch - the roast potato!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Out! Definitely out. The yorkshire is supposed to be crispy, that's never gonna happen if you use it as a bowl.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I'm definitely an outie, but it took me years to get used to having the Yorkshire Pud as a starter when I had to live there. There was complete uproar when we got married, as I refused to have Yorkshire Pud & Gravy as a starter:lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The picture of it out is exactly how I think Roast Beef should be, rare and pink but accompanied with horseradish sauce and a strong english mustard.

I do not know why people go on about perfect Yorkies as they are so easy to make follow Brian Turners example and use equal quantaties of Eggs, SR Flour and milk, leave in fridge for 1 hour and then add to hot pan where the fat is nearly smoking. They will always come out perfect.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
The meat in that bottom picture doesn't even look cooked. :sick:

I was just thinking that it looked PERFECT.

I don't really care either was whether my roast is in or out of the yorkshire, as long as there's plenty of it!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I like it when I get a roast IN a yorkshire pud at the pub, it's a bit special. At home though it's always OUT.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I don't mind one or two yorkshire puddings, but having your whole dinner SURROUNDED by it just takes it too far in my opinion.

Give me extra sprouts instead.

That's just madness! What kind of sick individual would want extra sprouts over extra yorkshire puddings?

I haven't had a yorkshire pudding for at least half a year - can't wait to get back to England.

Oh, and out.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The correct way to have a Yorkie on your sunday dinner is in fact as a starter with onion gravy made from the sediment in the bottom of the roasting tin.

Deeeeeelish!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My grandmother was from South Yorkshire and she always served Yorkshire pudding before the main course, flat like a pancake covered in gravy. The reason she gave was that it would take the edge of people's appetite so they wouldn't notice how little meat was served.

Is the correct answer! Mrs Potter is from Yorkshire stock and that is how her gran used to do it, as a starter to pad out the meal.

Not so common nowadays, but whatever the circumstances there can be no excuse for "in"!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Out out out

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
How would you handle a CARVERY free-for-all?
Most carvery Yorkshires don't lend themselves to optimal filling. My preferred solution is to find the largest one available and tuck it UNDER my plate thus leaving maximum space up top to fill with roasties, parsnips, sprouts, broccoli, carrots and, the all important, cauliflower cheese.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here