Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of lockdown

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hi,

I hope not.

My instinct now, if I'm right, you and I will be relieved, is that the initial easing might not be that much at all. Schools may stay shut for the vast majority of kids.

Too many people imho have taken the p on social distancing, it's a different world out there now than 3 or 4 weeks ago. Too many anecdotes to mention, supported by the last hours on LBC of so many stories of people now blatantly not adhering. People are 'clever' …. don't gather in central Brighton or the seafront, then the police will never catch you. Ultimately it costs other peoples lives and will extend our half-hearted lockdown. Some Brits never fail to let the country down. It's a classless arrogance, round our way lots of respectable 'middle class' families who've ignored the law and guidance.

I believe the issue of people relaxing their social distancing is exactly why it took the government time to shut us down. Unlike other countries, Germany for instance, we appear to have more dickheads. If we had shutdown when the death rate was low these dickheads would have complained that the virus hadn't hardly killed anyone so why stop them from going down the pub, booooo.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Hi,

I hope not.

My instinct now, if I'm right, you and I will be relieved, is that the initial easing might not be that much at all. Schools may stay shut for the vast majority of kids.

Too many people imho have taken the p on social distancing, it's a different world out there now than 3 or 4 weeks ago. Too many anecdotes to mention, supported by the last hours on LBC of so many stories of people now blatantly not adhering. People are 'clever' …. don't gather in central Brighton or the seafront, then the police will never catch you. Ultimately it costs other peoples lives and will extend our half-hearted lockdown. Some Brits never fail to let the country down. It's a classless arrogance, round our way lots of respectable 'middle class' families who've ignored the law and guidance.

[emoji106]

My personal experience is that it’s those in their 40s/50s who have been the worst culprits.

My theory is that it’s a generation who aren’t used to building/forming/maintaining relationships via means of technology. They’re desperately missing family and friends and just can’t resist. They’re not quite old enough to fear the virus like those who are in their 60s and beyond are.

Just my experience and guesswork though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi,

I hope not.

I’m going for June opening of schools...but only of certain age groups ......small relaxations of restrictions on other areas of life ..some of which people are taking already...but more importantly government has to spell out the plan for June onwards (subject to continued progress)

Barbers to open but only tools allowed, a rake for combing and garden shears for cutting and bring your own disposal gown ....i had a newsletter from my dentist this week never ever been so happy to hear from them (ive had a lot of dental work over the years due to soft enamel)

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I am puzzled that so many are ssying many people are breaking the lockdown. Its not that I am sayong they are wrong its just that my experience is so different. I was at Hove lagoon today a place you might think would show lockdown at its worst given the great weather and the beach. But while we were there almost no one encroached on anothers space and there were few if any groups that were not likely families. I also find it odd that posters on here appear to have identified almost every possible age group as those most commonly breaking the rules.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am puzzled that so many are ssying many people are breaking the lockdown. Its not that I am sayong they are wrong its just that my experience is so different. I was at Hove lagoon today a place you might think would show lockdown at its worst given the great weather and the beach. But while we were there almost no one encroached on anothers space and there were few if any groups that were not likely families. I also find it odd that posters on here appear to have identified almost every possible age group as those most commonly breaking the rules.

Because people breaching it pick places where there are no police, that is, avoiding Brighton and Hove seafront, main parks and the city centre.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Because people breaching it pick places where there are no police, that is, avoiding Brighton and Hove seafront, main parks and the city centre.

Hove Lagoon has always seemed remarkably close to Hove seafront to me, have they moved it?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
[emoji106]

My personal experience is that it’s those in their 40s/50s who have been the worst culprits.

My theory is that it’s a generation who aren’t used to building/forming/maintaining relationships via means of technology. They’re desperately missing family and friends and just can’t resist. They’re not quite old enough to fear the virus like those who are in their 60s and beyond are.

Just my experience and guesswork though.

There are 4 families near to me that keep breaking social distancing rules. One is a chap in his early 60's who lives with his daughter. He often has a friend round in the back garden and her boyfriend seems to visit every couple of days. My other neighbour works out with a friend a couple of times a week and the friend brought his girlfriend round the other day for a nice spot of sunbathing. Two along, and the family were clearly entertaining in the garden today. These others are in their late 20's or 30's.
People across the road, in their 20's have taken advantage of the lockdown to do a lot of work on their home, there is a steady succession of builders arriving with and taking away materials. No-one observing social-distancing at all. I think people in each age-group will fall into one of the two camps, those that think they can get away with it or don't regard it as a dangerous disease and care not for the consequences, and those that will carefully try to minimise the perceived danger to themselves and others. There is always a cross-section of thoughtless folk whatever their age.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hove Lagoon has always seemed remarkably close to Hove seafront to me, have they moved it?

That was my point, post #96 mentioned everyone observed social distancing at Hove Lagoon.

I’ve said throughout that people slyly breaking this law in our city and surrounds are doing it away from the seafront and city centre. No police.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...1-june-in-doubt-as-unions-say-safety-in-doubt

Interesting noises that the unions are making. Not aligned with Johnson’s thinking. I sense a conflict coming on this front.

Very interesting.

Is it a fact that Johnson wants schools back now?

I am not sure he has nailed his flag to the mast on that one. It is one thing to state that one wants schools to re-open if possible on the 1st June, but another entirely when new evidence for the rate of transmission in the community is higher than acceptable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are 4 families near to me that keep breaking social distancing rules. One is a chap in his early 60's who lives with his daughter. He often has a friend round in the back garden and her boyfriend seems to visit every couple of days. My other neighbour works out with a friend a couple of times a week and the friend brought his girlfriend round the other day for a nice spot of sunbathing. Two along, and the family were clearly entertaining in the garden today. These others are in their late 20's or 30's.
People across the road, in their 20's have taken advantage of the lockdown to do a lot of work on their home, there is a steady succession of builders arriving with and taking away materials. No-one observing social-distancing at all. These others are in their late 20's or 30's. I think people in each age-group will fall into one of the two camps, those that think they can get away with it or don't regard it as a dangerous disease and care not for the consequences, and those that will carefully try to minimise the perceived danger to themselves and others. There is always a cross-section of thoughtless folk whatever their age.

It’s the feeling of feeling personally invincible, forgetting that anyone can unknowingly transmit between others.

Or just, no one tells me what me do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Where is this happening then ? I genuinely haven’t seen it. I’ve seen the odd example of maybe a family getting together, but apart from that I haven’t seen, or heard, of anyone taking then piss at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where is this happening then ? I genuinely haven’t seen it. I’ve seen the odd example of maybe a family getting together, but apart from that I haven’t seen, or heard, of anyone taking then piss at all.

In the last 24 hours:
The Copse between Woodland Drive and Woodland Avenue.
Dyke Golf Course.
A series of front gardens in our street.
Grandads in our road visiting, giving their grandkids piggy backs and walks.
A tight peloton of 20 year olds on the South Downs Way.
Families mixing on walks together in Withdean.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In the last 24 hours:
The Copse between Woodland Drive and Woodland Avenue.
Dyke Golf Course.
A series of front gardens in our street.
Grandads in our road visiting, giving their grandkids piggy backs and walks.
A tight peloton of 20 year olds on the South Downs Way.
Families mixing on walks together in Withdean.

It’s still isolated examples and overall a small %. I spent 2.5 hours on the SDW today, and several hours in neighbours gardens this afternoon/evening and didn’t see a single incident that would be contravening the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here