Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road-kill banquet

Last week I came across a still-warm-and-freshly-dead deer on the roadside.
I dragged it aboard (estate car doncha know), and immediately hung it by the back legs on the garage door-lintel, slit throat and a plant-pot to catch blood.

The lass I live with, proclaimed this "cruel" - so I explained that 'Bambi' was nice in disney films but that using this already-dead beast for its' meat was forgoing the need for another LIVE animal to be slaughtered for my and my dog's consumption. This was grudgingly accepted (because she had no answer to that).

Then, she said she still regarded it as somehow contaminated. Yep, road-kill sounds like it should be rotten to the marrow. I told her that unless it died in utter fear over some period of time, that the blood should not have contaminated the meat with adrenaline, and once drained it will lose the gamey smell enough - and especially once cooked.
Well this still wasn't enough - so after I butchered it was still banned from putting the joints in the deep-freezer or fridge!

Now I am surrounded by farms, stock roaming outside the window that she has, herself, previously eaten from that same herd of sheep.
But now I have been called a "city boy new to the country" - yet she buys almost ALL her meat in a nice cellophane wrapping, on white polystyrene (WASTE and BAD for the planet), and couldn't even DREAM of gutting something that she will then need to eat.

Right - so I've now got a haunch and a leg smuggled into the bottom depths of the freezer, and am having to cook the rest today to prevent it from going off. Two days of lovely shredded venison that fell off the backbone, a sweet-and-sour yesterday, pan-fried cubed meat from the spine, and some of that left in some vindaloo curry sauce for later.
Two leg roasts (hind and front) in garlic and onions in the oven now with one casserole in there with them.

I got an accusatory look when her dog puked the other day, just to then mention to her that her animal hasn't been given ANY of this deer, and my dog is doing fine on it!

So here is a woman who has lived 15 years in the farmlands, and yet I'm some kind of naive city-dweller with no idea what I'm doing! I'm consuming all this venison on my own, and she's broadcasting to anyone who'll listen that she expects me to get sick at any moment.
It was clearly hit by a vehicle, my 'autopsy' revealed internal injuries that ensured its' demise too (so it wasn't poisoned).
The only chance of my getting sick, will be because I've had to keep it out of the fridges and only in a cooler with ice in the garage (which is why I'm now cooking it all up).

Incidentally, two weeks ago I had fresh pheasant casserole, courtesy of a car not far in front of me on the road into town. It was sumptuous in a wine, raspberry and vegetables stock. :drool:

What's UP with society that people have become so dependent on shiny packaging and supermarkets? :shrug:
Not to mention that it IS often contaminated - but with preservatives and weight-gainers that mean sodium hell and water-weight for the consumer (but it won't soon go 'off' because of this)

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
sounds lovely. i can never understand why anyone would choose to buy their meat (or in fact any produce) from a supermarket wrapped in plastic.

we have not purchased any meat since feb 08. we breed to kill and not only does it taste so much better it's kinder on the conscience too.

enjoy your deer. i am jealous.

I agree totally.

The best meaty meals I've ever cooked were the ones that consisted entirely of fresh produce from within 10 yards of my front door. Apart from the salt and pepper.

100% agree. remember the mad cow pandemic and the Yorkshire farmers giving away cow carcass to who ever wanted them because they were deemed to slaughter anyways.Moreover,these people who will only buy meat wrapped in cling wrap and on foam trays, erm do you eat hotdogs? I guarantee you wouldn't if you saw them being made.This from me who was a butcher for ten years.
NMH google "Sauerbraten" wonderful way to use venison. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ok I`ll start................................. Make sure you dont get in a rut.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Last week I mostly came across a still-warm-and-freshly-dead deer on the roadside.
I dragged it aboard (estate car doncha know), and immediately hung it by the back legs on the garage door-lintel, slit throat and a plant-pot to catch blood.

The lass I live with, proclaimed this "cruel" - so I explained that 'Bambi' was nice in disney films but that using this already-dead beast for its' meat was forgoing the need for another LIVE animal to be slaughtered for my and my dog's consumption. This was grudgingly accepted (because she had no answer to that).

Then, she said she still regarded it as somehow contaminated. Yep, road-kill sounds like it should be rotten to the marrow. I told her that unless it died in utter fear over some period of time, that the blood should not have contaminated the meat with adrenaline, and once drained it will lose the gamey smell enough - and especially once cooked.
Well this still wasn't enough - so after I butchered it was still banned from putting the joints in the deep-freezer or fridge!

Now I am surrounded by farms, stock roaming outside the window that she has, herself, previously eaten from that same herd of sheep.
But now I have been called a "city boy new to the country" - yet she buys almost ALL her meat in a nice cellophane wrapping, on white polystyrene (WASTE and BAD for the planet), and couldn't even DREAM of gutting something that she will then need to eat.

Right - so I've now got a haunch and a leg smuggled into the bottom depths of the freezer, and am having to cook the rest today to prevent it from going off. Two days of lovely shredded venison that fell off the backbone, a sweet-and-sour yesterday, pan-fried cubed meat from the spine, and some of that left in some vindaloo curry sauce for later.
Two leg roasts (hind and front) in garlic and onions in the oven now with one casserole in there with them.

I got an accusatory look when her dog puked the other day, just to then mention to her that her animal hasn't been given ANY of this deer, and my dog is doing fine on it!

So here is a woman who has lived 15 years in the farmlands, and yet I'm some kind of naive city-dweller with no idea what I'm doing! I'm consuming all this venison on my own, and she's broadcasting to anyone who'll listen that she expects me to get sick at any moment.
It was clearly hit by a vehicle, my 'autopsy' revealed internal injuries that ensured its' demise too (so it wasn't poisoned).
The only chance of my getting sick, will be because I've had to keep it out of the fridges and only in a cooler with ice in the garage (which is why I'm now cooking it all up).

Incidentally, two weeks ago I had fresh pheasant casserole, courtesy of a car not far in front of me on the road into town. It was sumptuous in a wine, raspberry and vegetables stock. :drool:

What's UP with society that people have become so dependent on shiny packaging and supermarkets? :shrug:
Not to mention that it IS often contaminated - but with preservatives and weight-gainers that mean sodium hell and water-weight for the consumer (but it won't soon go 'off' because of this)
Nice

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yeh.......that's why she won't eat it.........if a yokel finds a still warm mammal in the vicinity of a public highway,the first and most obvious thing to them is to BUM it........thats why yokels don't do roadkill.

you would have enhanced the flavour if you had hung it for 10-14 days btw and i do think you need to be told off for doing a sweet and sour venison.::sick:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I used to be in to necrophilia.

Until some rotten **** split on me ...............

A friend of mine was into sado-masochism, necrophilia and bestiality.

Until I told him he was flogging a dead horse.

:p

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree totally.

The best meaty meals I've ever cooked were the ones that consisted entirely of fresh produce from within 10 yards of my front door. Apart from the salt and pepper.

I had a call at work from one of your neighbours earlier actually LB. He was a bit worried as he hasn't seen a couple of his cats for a few weeks and his Deadly Nightshade borders appear to have been ransacked.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you are into this the Lewes to Newhaven road is a daily slaughter. There are limitless freshly dead corpses of Rabbits, Pheasants and Badger's daily. Infact you could live off Pheasant for the rest of your life.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find the A272 to be the undisputed world Pheasant Graveyard.

My favourite thing about them is that they step up to the side of the road, look across to see you driving along at speed in a large motor vehicle, and then carry on walking anyway, in a shrugging-their-pheasanty shoulders, c'est la vie sort of way, ending up in a feathered explosion a split second later.

The world's dumbest birds, without a shadow of doubt.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
If you are into this the Lewes to Newhaven road is a daily slaughter. There are limitless freshly dead corpses of Rabbits, Pheasants and Badger's daily. Infact you could live off Pheasant for the rest of your life.

He would have to enjoy pheasant plucking though.

Did I say that right?

yeh.......that's why she won't eat it.........if a yokel finds a still warm mammal in the vicinity of a public highway,the first and most obvious thing to them is to BUM it........thats why yokels don't do roadkill.

you would have enhanced the flavour if you had hung it for 10-14 days btw and i do think you need to be told off for doing a sweet and sour venison.::sick:

Oh yes, the shame :down:

(it was moy deliciouso, though!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here