Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RMT Strike

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Amen to that. There is also a similar story on the London Underground where many of the disputes have been over safety cuts. Anyone who remembers the "Herald of Free Enterprise" knows where that sort of thing ends up.
There is also a history of
strikes n the london underground for the most ridiculous reasons, you undermine a perfectly good cause with your blinkered , one track opinions.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
. This proposed strike is only regarding job cuts and safety issues and what must be remembered is that for every day on strike, employees lose their yearly bonus of up to £1500, so 3 days strike you lose 3 years bonus. :

So would it not be better for everyone for it to be a one-day strike only? Isn't 3 days a little overdoing it by the unions in getting their point across?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Network rail are changing the way we work but not everyone is happy, they are making numerous changes which include increasing rostered weekend shifts from 26 to 93 shifts a year, bank holiday working (happy xmas!), no overtime

Hmmm, I was sort of starting to empathise, but complaining about working weekends or bank holidays? Big deal, millions of people have to do that.

The railways still operate on weekends or bank holidays, ergo someone needs to maintain them on those days, surely.

Dandyman

In London village.
There is also a history of
strikes n the london underground for the most ridiculous reasons, you undermine a perfectly good cause with your blinkered , one track opinions.

Read what I actually wrote. I spend a fair amount of my time on the other side of the table to trade union reps and I'm well aware of the difference between genuine and inflated grievances.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You CHOSE to, they didnt.

Presumably their contracts don't specify Monday to Friday, nine to five (if they do, I stand corrected). They work some weekends already and are required to be on call or whatever. Sorry, but on that particular issue, if they don't like it, well go and find a job with more comfortable hours, like I said, the railways are a round the clock industry so it stands to reason that those who operate it work when needed to safely maintain it.

Not arguing with the other points as such but that one just sounds like whinging to me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Presumably their contracts don't specify Monday to Friday, nine to five (if they do, I stand corrected). They work some weekends already and are required to be on call or whatever. Sorry, but on that particular issue, if they don't like it, well go and find a job with more comfortable hours, like I said, the railways are a round the clock industry so it stands to reason that those who operate it work when needed to safely maintain it.

Not arguing with the other points as such but that one just sounds like whinging to me.
They CHANGED the contract from 26 w/e shifts to 93 per year, presumably you would have something to say if you were suddenly required to do likewise ?

markw

Aug 28, 2009
They CHANGED the contract from 26 w/e shifts to 93 per year, presumably you would have something to say if you were suddenly required to do likewise ?

Exactly, who would agree a contract change from 26 to 93 weekend shifts for less money? We would be rostered these shifts as well so no overtime.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Isnt there only 52 weekends in a year?

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Isnt there only 52 weekends in a year?

Yes there is, so at the moment we are rostered 26 shifts, so 1 weekend shift every other week. They want to change our contract so that we do 93 weekend shifts so that would be saturday and sunday rostered for 40 odd weekends a year, including bank holidays and christmas etc. noone would accept this.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It'll easily double my travel time but if I don't go to work I don't get paid. Some people I work with will lose money as they can't get in.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Any news if the lazy signalmen and trackworkers are actually striking yet, as I thought this was in court today?

Its signallers not signalmen, there are a few lazy women in the job.

Dear colleague,

Network Rail – legal action

As you will probably now be aware, Network Rail has decided to drag your union into court rather than hammer out a negotiated settlement.

RMT will of course defend its position vigorously in court – the union ran a perfectly above-board ballot – and the strike action scheduled for next week remains on.

I will keep you updated as matters progress.

Yours in unity,

Bob Crow

RMT General Secretary

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Its signallers not signalmen, there are a few lazy women in the job.

I hate the word Signaller, As far as I'm concerned I'm still a signalman or "Bobby" as some of the old drivers still like to call us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I hate the word Signaller, As far as I'm concerned I'm still a signalman or "Bobby" as some of the old drivers still like to call us.

Do they still give you the wanker sign as they go past the box ? ???

The one time I belonged to a union they did sod all for me when I nearly lost my job thanks to a mistake made by somebody else. Mind you the place I was working for did not have a monopoly and could not hold the country to ransome.

Just because someone happens to work in a monopolised industry it does not mean that everyone will go out on strike because that said person has a personal grievance at work.

I would suggest that the union rep in your workplace was either poor, inexperienced or over worked and that is why you didn't get the correct representation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here