Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

River Plate - Adios Millionarios!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I also love South America, planning a return trip for early next year and hope to take in a game like I did on my last visit, where I saw the home game between River Plate and Huracan. I have to say that the atmosphere in the stadium was amongst the best I have ever experienced, the singing was absolutely amazing, would be a real pity if they were relegated.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It's the 2nd leg of the playoff tonight, is it on telly anwhere or will we have to hunt down a dodgy stream?

Fancy watching this, could kick off or see some interesting refereeing!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sounds the sort of place where Palace would be very much at home.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
I still believe that there will be some dodgy decisions and River will win by 2 goals to stay up. They only have to draw on aggregate, Belgrano as the team from League B have to win to gain promotion!

Asian Handicap for River (-1) on Bet365 gives 1.80 so I've put a fair bit on!!

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Personally i hope River stay up

Had a fantastic stadium tour 2005 for the equivalent of about £2 and they couldn't do enough for you. directors box, pitch, trophy room, media centre etc etc with no hassle or rush. a million times better than the boca version tbh

boca seem to hold the affections of football snobs over river the same way st pauli do over hamburg

did see a boca match and agree with the previous posters that the atmosphere at argie games different gravy

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
Most of my Argentine friends are currently pissing thmeselves laughing at River!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
i predict a riot

That's what ssn is reporting. Fire in the ground, had to bring an extended tunnel onto the pitch to get the players off (surround by stewards). Water canons being used, things being broken and thrown around and hitting grandfathers and their grandkids, etc.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Battipiedi and Baz may get offered deals by River Plate at the rate they're going.

I'm startled they did go down though, really thought they would win comfortably at home tonight.

It's the Argentine equivalent of Manchester United getting relegated.

Having looked up about them on Wiki just now, I'm stunned at how many outstanding players they've had playing for them over the past few years (including Gonzalo Higuain and the currently much-sought-after duo of Alexis Sanchez and Radamel Falcao) and how they've got themselves into the mess they're now in.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
They are £20 million in debt too so you wonder if they will be able to build a squad to challenge for promotion. The irony really is that the system set up to save them 20 years ago ultimately caught them in a season when they should have qualified for the Copa Sudamerica! Think there's going to be a lot of trouble in and around the Monumental for some hours yet.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Sounds pretty wild out there -

Although seeing the reports of the riots in Buenos Aires following the relegation of River Plate from the Argentine Clasaura for the first time in their history is chilling enough, seeing it unfurl live is horrifying. Tanks with water cannons are parading the streets, members of the public are running about in panic and there's rather too much fire around for anyone's liking.

But the worst part of watching is seeing the ambulances and stretchers carrying injured police officers from the front lines. According to reports, there are at least five police officers suffering serious injuries and many more who are less badly hurt. The most appalling incident so far has been the alleged torching of a police car by rioters while said vehicle was still occupied:

Thugs set a police car on fire. 15 police officers hurt (one in serious condition), says América Noticias.less than a minute ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet ReplyMundo Albiceleste
MundoAlbicelest

Belgrano fans are still trapped in the Estadio Monumental, and it's still not clear if there'll be any safe way of extracting them within any reasonable timescale. Meanwhile, journalists are being assualted, TV vans are being destroyed, and something barely short of a pitched battle is being fought on the streets. This can't clear up fast enough.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bet they don't become pariahs of world football, they aren't an English club.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Most top flight football is based in Buenos Aires. Boca, River, Independiente, Racing, Huracan (now sadly relegated), San Lorenzo, Velez, Argentinos Juniors and All Boys are all in the city. Lanus, Banfield and Quilmes are districts just to the South. Tigre is a lovely town just a short train ride away. In La Plata (capital of Buenos Aires province) you have Estudiantes and Gimnasia. Olimpo Bahia Blanca are in the far South of Buenos Aires province.

Outside of Buenos Aires you have the city of Rosario who provide Newell's Old Boys and Rosario Central (now in 2nd Div). There's also Cordoba which hopefully will have Belgrano in the top flight next season. They have had some other clubs who have bounced around between the top two divisions. Further afield Santa Fe and Mendoza have clubs who survived this season.

If you live in the South of Argentina - unlucky!

If you live in the North East towards Brazil and Paraguay - unlucky!

If you live in the North, there used to be Gimnasia Jujuy but they got relegated last year along with San Martin of Tucuman.

Salta has 3 teams and they will all be in the same regionalised division next season in the third tier. Hopefully Gimnasia y Tiro can continue this season's fine form with promotion again!!

Below the second division the leagues are regionalised. At least half of the clubs are based in the Buenos Aires region and they have their own section of the lower league system. That's why so little top flight football is played outside of BA, it's just so hard for anyone to get there!

Wow, I do sound like an anorak!

Where are Racing Club Bang based then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here