Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rising Cost of Watching Football

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
An interesting article:

IN Germany last week, 1,000 Borussia Dortmund fans walked out of the away end at Hamburger SV just ten minutes after kick-off, in a crude but effective bid to voice their frustration.

In a few short moments, the entire away section of the stadium quickly emptied.

The source of their vitriol was not their side's performance – they had been unbeaten in 31 games prior to this encounter – but the fact that, for the privilege of watching their side in the Bundesliga, they had been asked to shell out 19 euros. In today's exchange rates, that is roughly £15.40.

That is the cut off point at which German football fans begin to feel they are being asked to give too much; that is the point at which they say 'enough is enough' and opt to take action.

It is also less than half of what Nottingham Forest fans had to pay to watch their side in action at Elland Road last weekend, when the Yorkshire club charged visiting fans £34.

In the interest of balance, it must also be observed that it will also cost £32 for both sets of fans to watch the Reds face Derby County this weekend.

The intention is not to single out Forest, because their pricing policies are far from extreme. They are entirely normal in the Championship, in fact.

And, just three days after the biggest game of the season, against the Rams, it will cost £12 less to watch Sean O'Driscoll's side take on Blackburn at home.

Plus those fans who do buy a ticket for the top category Derby match, can also go to the Blackburn game for a further discounted £15.

One Forest fan decided, on a whim, to watch Alfreton Town face Luton recently.

Alfreton are a great little club, who have taken great, admirable strides in recent years.

But a ticket for the game was £18. If it now costs more to watch English non-league football than it does to watch one of the most highly-regarded leagues in Europe, then something clearly isn't right.

What certainly isn't right is that a parent taking a child on the coach to Elland Road last weekend would have spent close to £70 on tickets and travel before they had even considered food and drink.

A couple with two kids would be facing a £150-plus afternoon out.

The point is not to pick out any one club in particular for criticism.

That does not mean English football, as a whole, does not need to change, however.

Because, while it might not have reached the point where English fans are planning mass protests, they are starting to vote with their feet.

I'm very grateful to be in the fortunate position of watching football every weekend for a living. But, if I wasn't, I'd be picking and choosing my matches very carefully.

And others already are.

Last season, Saturday afternoon crowds at the City Ground only dipped under 20,000 twice.

Once was a New Year's Eve fixture against Cardiff, the other was a visit from Millwall, in March, when Forest were in the midsts of their relegation battle.

This season, despite the fierce sense of optimism generated by the arrival of ambitious new owners; despite the signing off 11 quality players and the appointment of a manager who plays 'the Forest way', the crowds have not been flocking to the City Ground.

The average is only 600 down on last season, which is hard to read too much into. But they have already had their first Saturday afternoon sub-20,000 crowd, when Charlton visited.

You wonder what the attendance levels might have been like if not for the sense of hope and positivity that is sweeping through the club.

The difficulty for clubs is that financial fair play rules will only become more stringent, with each passing season. Increasingly, more importance will be placed on the money clubs can generate commercially and, more significantly, through the turnstiles.

In 2011/12, Forest were expected to incur losses of £12m.

By 2015/17 Championship clubs will only be allowed to have losses of £5m, if they are to avoid financial penalties or transfer embargoes.

Every penny of income generated will be more important than ever.

Never has finding the right balance been more important.

But, at the same time, football clubs must recognise they are dealing with a customer base that has the same frugal mentality.

Times are tough. And, for many, football is in danger of becoming an occasional treat, rather than a regular weekend event.

If German football can sustain a healthy financial balance – and teams capable of competing in the Champions League – by charging barely £15 on the gate, then surely it must be possible over here.

FFP will have an impact on dressing rooms across the country in the next few years, as clubs ask themselves the question of whether they will pay £10k a week to an aging pro, whose best years are behind him, or give a chance to a promising youngster for a fifth of the cost.

But there must also be fair play at the turnstiles.

If every Championship club charged £20 to see every game, it is surely not too naive to presume it would attract bigger gates. Those extra people will buy beers, burgers and programmes.

Done correctly, managed carefully, clubs need not lose money.

If things carry on as they are, English football fans may not stage a walk out like their German counterparts. But they might just stop turning up at all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Clubs like Forest, Boro and Leeds seem to have hit a wall when it comes to attracting fans and getting them to spend. They're big clubs but forever being leapfrogged by the likes of Norwich, Southampton, Reading - who have fans with money to spend - or clubs with a bounce from a new / redeveloped stadium like Swansea, Hull or Blackpool.

We fall into both camps, which is why there's part of me that almost expects we'll go up and continue this trend.

The one club that seems to buck the trend is Derby County, who rarely sustain a challenge at the top of the table yet still regularly attract 30,000 per home game.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Really well written. I'm afraid we English like to moan about issues but never back it up with actions, we just bend over a little more to make it easier to got f***ed.

Sep 20, 2005
Watching football in the top two divisions in Germany is always a fantastic experience. Here are some of the reasons....

- Reasonable (i.e. nowhere near the thieving prices charged over here) ticket prices, programme prices and souvenir (shirts, scarves, hates etc) prices.
- The choice of safe standing or comfortable seating in all grounds.
- Beer available to drink anywhere in the ground. You can even bring your own glass (yes, made of actual glass) and get refills where you sit.
- Non-stop singing, chanting, dancing etc.
- Quality football.
- Virtually no diving, cheating, filthy tackling or simulation of injury.
- Almost no time-wasting. Most matches (I've been to) finish when the clock reads 45:00 and 90:00
- Fan solidarity. This story of Dortmund fans is very typical of the way they stick together. The same thing happened when UEFA tried to force all-seater stadia on the German FA, and they were forced into a climbdown. I have seen a huge crowd stand in complete silence for 15 minutes at the start of a game make a point.
- Loads more but I have to go out now to book a flight to Hamburg.

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sadly the case , I would watch Albion anywhere but sadly being slowly priced out completely.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Really well written. I'm afraid we English like to moan about issues but never back it up with actions, we just bend over a little more to make it easier to got f***ed.

Not all clubs just bend over. There have been many protests carried out at clubs, but unfortunately the board just ignores them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

In most cases I agree but BHA fans have proved they have more fight than many other clubs.

However times are changing though, how many fans said they would never eat or drink at the Amex again, still seems as busy to me and the record sales a forthnight also show this.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Watching football in the top two divisions in Germany is always a fantastic experience. Here are some of the reasons....

- Reasonable (i.e. nowhere near the thieving prices charged over here) ticket prices, programme prices and souvenir (shirts, scarves, hates etc) prices.
- Beer available to drink anywhere in the ground. You can even bring your own glass (yes, made of actual glass) and get refills where you sit.
- Quality football.
- Almost no time-wasting. Most matches (I've been to) finish when the clock reads 45:00 and 90:00
- Fan solidarity. This story of Dortmund fans is very typical of the way they stick together. The same thing happened when UEFA tried to force all-seater stadia on the German FA, and they were forced into a climbdown. I have seen a huge crowd stand in complete silence for 15 minutes at the start of a game make a point.

Spot on - it's the model that our league really does need to aspire to. We're quite a way off.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
In most cases I agree but BHA fans have proved they have more fight than many other clubs.

However times are changing though, how many fans said they would never eat or drink at the Amex again, still seems as busy to me and the record sales a forthnight also show this.

Missed this - how much has the price of a pint risen by? They obviously have a captive half time audience but dont see why it can't be boycotted before and after a game.

What a great article. The bottom line is footballers are paid too much including ours, those in the Prem are a joke and those so called elite players are so over-paid it is obscene. Why - because of tv money and it's not right. So Prem league games are very expensive for many teams and even our match day prices are too high. People comment on low away fan attendances but it's not surprising when you talk about how much their tickets etc will cost them to come to the Amex.

I rarely travel away partly as it's not a cheap day out and times are tough - people are much more careful with what they spend and £70-100 following the Albion away is a weeks food budget for a family.

If as the Albion have done the Season tickets are priced sensibly then that's to be applauded but it doesn't ignore the underlying problems of over-paid players, Managers and other staff and over priced tickets in many cases.

The solution is simple - cut wages dramatically and ticket prices accordingly - I'm sure Tevez and co would get by on £100k a week instead of over 200 and if they bugger off elsewhere so what.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

- Quality football.

I'm sorry, I just don't believe you.

I mean - who goes out to book flights nowadays?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

- Quality football.
- Almost no time-wasting
. Most matches (I've been to) finish when the clock reads 45:00 and 90:00

Agreed, apart from the hi-lighted bits.

German footballers are excellent at those couple of bits, but yeah their games look great.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Really good article.

I have to say that the rising prices and transport costs have certainly limited my away travel - and I live in the middle of the country. A few years ago I wouldn't have given a second thought to the ticket price or petrol costs of a journey but I certainly do now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here