Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rippling nets

Actually, why not have a wall of JELLY instead of a net? Make it some really sticky gunk that holds the ball as soon as contact is made.

I would LOVE to see that, with the ball conspicuously stuck right there in the goal like a mouse on a sticky-trap.

How you going to restart the game???

Strangely the laws of the game do not require nets to be attached to the frame of the goal.

But I would like to see ones like these at the Amex and not the horrible boxy tight ones that we have today when the balls bounces back towads the halfway line

nets1_det.jpg

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If a goalnet hasn't got room in which to park a medium sized family saloon, then I'm just not interested.

Remember the ones at The Dell ? PATHETIC. The ball would smash against the advertising hoardings behind the goal and bounce back out again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If a goalnet hasn't got room in which to park a medium sized family saloon, then I'm just not interested.

Remember the ones at The Dell ? PATHETIC. The ball would smash against the advertising hoardings behind the goal and bounce back out again.

I was just about to post "Does anyone remember the RUBBISH old nets at the Dell?" which were about two feet deep, and massively unsatisfying, particularly for a club that boasted Matthew Le Tisser amongst their onion-bag-smashing number.

Mind you, they also had Francis Benali, so perhaps they figured nets were unnecessary.

and the old pre re developed Upton Park., where I believe I goal was actually NOT given as it had bounced back into play off the adveristing hoardings behind the goal, so quickly that no one realised it had actually gone in

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
and the old pre re developed Upton Park., where I believe I goal was actually NOT given as it had bounced back into play off the adveristing hoardings behind the goal, so quickly that no one realised it had actually gone in

Clive Allen?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Strangely the laws of the game do not require nets to be attached to the frame of the goal.

But I would like to see ones like these at the Amex and not the horrible boxy tight ones that we have today when the balls bounces back towads the halfway line

nets1_det.jpg

Seconded!

Actually, why not have a wall of JELLY instead of a net? Make it some really sticky gunk that holds the ball as soon as contact is made.

I would LOVE to see that, with the ball conspicuously stuck right there in the goal like a mouse on a sticky-trap.

Subbuteo used to advertise a "special substance" to apply to their goals. It sounded very impressive in the catalogue, in reality is was a couple of lengths of extra wide sticky tape that you attached inside the goal. It looked daft and didn't work very well.

Imagine a full size version with fullbacks who had desperately tried to hook away a goal bound shot and failing ending up stuck to it like flies on giant fly paper.

.....or maybe not.

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Something to do with advertising, isn't it? Tightly strung, black goalnets are more see-through and hence better for the old Sky cameras.

(This might be complete bollocks, but I've definitely heard it somewhere before...)

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Brighton’s Goldstone Ground also had back stanchions but were unique in that the stanchion didn’t start exactly at the corner of the bar and post but about half a foot down, and the stanchions had an extra kink at the bottom, about a foot off the ground. Our netting was large holed. Stamford Bridge had unusual goals; this was when the Bridge was shaped like Wembley with two enormous semi-circular gaps at either end where the terracing swung round in a semi-circle. (Is it my imagination or were there cars parked in these spaces?) They had the back stanchions but instead of just one bend had two so were shaped like this:

Goal nets the groundhog

have a look at this website, we had a nice feature :D

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I miss the variety of nets we used to see. From the massive nets of (old) Wembley to the narrow ones at The Dell where the ball was virtually touching the net by the time it had crossed the line. You could virtually recognise the ground by the goals, stanchons and nets.

These days they all seem to go for the homogenous poles at the back holding up the rigid and tight netting.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Indeed. No more thought goes into the rigging of the goals. Just off the shelf square nets.

Would be nice to see the goals at the Amex revert back to the old school a la the Goldstone or at least have an individual type.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Oh. And I would also like to see our nets held down with PEGS.

And the netting has to have some sag so the goalie literally has to pick the ball out of the net after being beaten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here