Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP , so young

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Popular reporter found dead in bed
By Miles Godfrey
Comment
The sports community in Sussex has been thrown into mourning after the death of a well known reporter.

Ben Steppel, 37, was found dead in his bed at his Worthing property on Tuesday morning.

Mr Steppel, the sports editor of the Chichester Observer and previously a sports reporter with the Worthing Herald, was well known and liked across Sussex.

advertisementHe had previously worked in radio with BBC Radio Sussex and Spirit FM.

Mr Steppel also worked as a football referee and as a cricket umpire.

He was a regular church goer with East Worthing Baptist Churchwhere he played the piano.

It is thought he may have died from a heart attack in his sleep or suffered a bout of epilepsy.

Colleagues found Mr Steppel in bed after he failed to arrive for work in Chichester on Monday morning.

Sussex Police confirmed there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. A post mortem examination of his body is to be carried out and an inquest may be held.

Jon Buss, the editor of the Worthing Herald, led the tributes.

He said: "Ben was a self-taught journalist who mastered new technology at a time when the industry was going through great change.

"He worked hard, took responsibility and, the mark of a true professional, invariably struggled-in even if he didn't feel too well. He didn't want to let anyone down.

"I last saw him a couple of weeks ago in Warwick Street. He was proud of the fact that he had lost a couple of stone. He said he felt all-the-better for it."

East Worthing Baptist minister Steve Lomas added: "Ben was young people-orientated and a very gifted, exuberant and enthusiastic musician on our piano. He played by ear. He did not read music but he could play anything you asked. He leaves a big gap."

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Am i the only one who thinks all these RIP threads for every Tom Dick and Harry are just a little bit GAY?

Obviously his death is a terrible shame,and i feel for family and friends in these situations?

But come on.....2 or 3 pages of people all saying "RIP" on an internet message board for someone they dont know and had probably never even herd of is just a bit much???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
junior said:
Am i the only one who thinks all these RIP threads for every Tom Dick and Harry are just a little bit GAY?

Obviously his death is a terrible shame,and i feel for family and friends in these situations?

But come on.....2 or 3 pages of people all saying "RIP" on an internet message board for someone they dont know and had probably never even herd of is just a bit much???

You'll be removing that bit under your posts then? ???

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
WHAT A 1ST GRADE KNOB YOU ARE JUNIOR

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think anyone thats dies at 37 is tragic, didn't know the guy but he just didn't have a fair innings , RIP

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
Lost my neice last week, 21 years old. Can only imagin what my poor brother is going through.
Funeral tommorrow and I am not looking foreward to it.:down:

227 BHA said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Classic - He has "honour your dead" as his signature and comes out with a post like this:dunce:

Do you not think that there's a massive difference in "honouring your dead" which refers to servicemen killed in action for their country (regardless of whether you agree with the conflict or not) and some random bloke that no one knows, and very few people have even heard of?

Yes, it's sad that people die, but it's a FACT that they do die, all the time, EVERYDAY.

Do we really need a thread on here everytime someone dies? Why don't we create a new section for all the handwringers to go to show their respects for someone that they never knew and didn't mean anything to anyone here anyway. I know, lets call it the LIVERPOOL section.

I have no issue with anybody who loses someone special, and I sympathise entirely with the family and friends of this guy, and with anyone that posts here that they too have lost someone close. I have no problem with paying respects to people that come on here and post about tragedies within their lives, as we do at least sort of know them, even if only in a cyber way. It does get a bit ridiculous at times though.

This whole RIP random bloke thing is getting more and more like scousers and Ken Bigley everyday, and it's bollocks.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
empire said:
"I last saw him a couple of weeks ago in Warwick Street. He was proud of the fact that he had lost a couple of stone. He said he felt all-the-better for it."

Such a sad sad story. I wonder if his losing weight may have had something to do with it? Personally having recently lost a lot of weight I can honestly say I have been more ill than I had whilst being heavier. I think I'm through the worst of it now, but I can't help wonder if this affected this poor chap somehow, maybe he lost it too quickly and it affected his heart.

How terribly sad.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Do you not think that there's a massive difference in "honouring your dead" which refers to servicemen killed in action for their country (regardless of whether you agree with the conflict or not) and some random bloke that no one knows, and very few people have even heard of?

Yes, it's sad that people die, but it's a FACT that they do die, all the time, EVERYDAY.

Do we really need a thread on here everytime someone dies? Why don't we create a new section for all the handwringers to go to show their respects for someone that they never knew and didn't mean anything to anyone here anyway. I know, lets call it the LIVERPOOL section.

I have no issue with anybody who loses someone special, and I sympathise entirely with the family and friends of this guy, and with anyone that posts here that they too have lost someone close. I have no problem with paying respects to people that come on here and post about tragedies within their lives, as we do at least sort of know them, even if only in a cyber way. It does get a bit ridiculous at times though.

This whole RIP random bloke thing is getting more and more like scousers and Ken Bigley everyday, and it's bollocks.

How the hell did you just get away with saying that.I was a "1st grade KNOB for saying the exact same thing yesterday!!).

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Kylies Stunt Arse said:

I think thats a bit heavy handed to be honest - anyone can post a thread on whatever subject they like, thats what this place is about isn't it? its a bit thought police to dictate how many threads on a certain topic we are allowed to have!

tedebear said:
I think thats a bit heavy handed to be honest - anyone can post a thread on whatever subject they like, thats what this place is about isn't it? its a bit thought police to dictate how many threads on a certain topic we are allowed to have!

You and I both know that what you have said simply isn't true. If it was why would threads be removed ever? Is that not also a bit "thought police"?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
tedebear said:

Unfortunatly im not very good with words so never pick the best ways to explain what i mean,BUT.....

I dont think anyone is saying we shouldnt allow "RIP" threads.

Death is obviously a touchy subject,and its sad that whenever someone dies there are always people left behind who are affected,and for them i have sympathy.

What i dont get is all the people who just add "RIP" onto a thread for the sake of it,or because everyone else has-so they do the same.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
You and I both know that what you have said simply isn't true. If it was why would threads be removed ever? Is that not also a bit "thought police"?

Of course its true - you can physically start and post a thread about anything you darn well please....removing it due it it being out of order is a different topic for which there is often debate.

What you were saying is you personally think that threads of a certain type should be limited!

tedebear said:
Of course its true - you can physically start and post a thread about anything you darn well please....removing it due it it being out of order is a different topic for which there is often debate.

What you were saying is you personally think that threads of a certain type should be limited!

No I was questioning whether or not we needed these threads. I didn't say that no one should post them, rather inferred that perhaps people might think about posting them before doing so. Exactly where in my post do I say these threads should be limited?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
junior said:

he umpired a few games i played in...so in this case...NO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here