Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Henry Cooper

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
As a boxing fan i think its very sad. He was of a bygone era where they turned up for a weigh in without all the shouting etc they have now (apart from clay , as he was). I beleive his wife died a couple of years ago. I get to hear this more and more regarding spouses that have been together along time then dieing soon after each other,

A gentleman.

RIP.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Really sad news...a true British sporting legend RIP.

This is big news. They should splash it all over the papers tomorrow

I shouldn't laugh at that.

But I did Our 'Enry, and so would you have done.

Rip 'Enry's Ammer'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't have such a list; I've never put anyone on ignore. I'm just suggesting that an RIP thread for a respected person is an inappropiate place for jokes about their death.

I'm not a huge fan of boxing, but I know and appreciate what he achieved. He was a gentleman and a real character. He had a wonderful sense of humour and he achieved more than many millions will ever do. I don't think he would be too bothered with a poor joke on a football forum. There was no intention to disrespect him. C'est la vie.

He is now 'Orizontal 'Enry in more ways than one.

RIP

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do we really need to descend to making jokes about it?

Some people do.

BBC News - Why do people tell sick jokes about tragedies?
Any fan of Peter Cook or Bill Hicks will attest that dark humour predated the internet, however, and none other than Sigmund Freud addressed the topic in his 1927 essay Humour (Der Humor).

In it, the father of psychoanalysis argued that sick jokes were the mechanism by which the ego "insists that it cannot be affected by the traumas of the external world".

His analysis is shared by Dr Oliver Double, an expert in comedy at the University of Kent who believes that tackling offensive subjects can be a very effective tool of satire as well as a form of therapy.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A true legend of British boxing. I don't think I've been this affected by a death since Bobby Robson.

He could of or probably shoud've beaten Cassius Clay when he was in his prime.

If David Haye needs anymore inspiration this is it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He could of or probably shoud've beaten Cassius Clay when he was in his prime.

While I wouldnt wish to dismiss what he achieved as a boxer and a sportsman I would say that wouldnt have happened. I knew the ref of that famous fight when he put the then Cassius Clay down,Tommy Little, and he maintained to his dieing days that he made a mistake in that fight. He could do nothing about the 'cut gloves' but he let the 5th round go on too long, he should have stopped it sooner. He told me that when Clay left his stool for that round he had venom in his eyes and you could sense it wasnt going to last long he knew he couldbt afford to take another left hook. All credit to Enery and his hammer it was effective, it was unfortunate that continual belting around the eyes made them suspect to open up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
While I wouldnt wish to dismiss what he achieved as a boxer and a sportsman I would say that wouldnt have happened. I knew the ref of that famous fight when he put the then Cassius Clay down,Tommy Little, and he maintained to his dieing days that he made a mistake in that fight. He could do nothing about the 'cut gloves' but he let the 5th round go on too long, he should have stopped it sooner. He told me that when Clay left his stool for that round he had venom in his eyes and you could sense it wasnt going to last long he knew he couldbt afford to take another left hook. All credit to Enery and his hammer it was effective, it was unfortunate that continual belting around the eyes made them suspect to open up.

No disgrace in losing to the greatest sportsman of all time.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I had the pleasure of meeting him once. True gentleman with great humility. A true model professional. I met him about a year after the death of his wife. I could tell then he was still emotional about it and wondered if he would cope without her.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
RIP Henry - oddly enough I was only thinking of him and his brother George this very morning.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A man who's profession was violent but still he managed to maintain a sense of dignity that most can only dream of, RIP Henry, a true legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here