Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio - what a plank

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Misses half the season with an injury. Virtually first game back hits someone. Ludicrously, appeals three-game ban. Gets an extra one this afternoon. In serious danger of not being in the World Cup squad if anything else goes wrong.

Hopefully, the penny will start to drop with these frivolous appeals. The knee-jerk reaction still seems to be to appeal for the big clubs, however shameless but United couldn't afford to lose Rio for an extra match so even they may think twice next time.

I still think Ferdinand will sneak in to the WC squad, mainly because there aren't enough good, fit centre-backs to replace him. But he's already missed big tournaments, and can't afford to be f**king around on this one.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
They appealed so he could play yesterday. He had a brilliant game, and now they are in the final. I heard the 4th additional game is against Everton, so if it did get extended, they felt they'd do alright without him.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The weird thing is that Ferdinand would have missed last nights Carling Cup game and 2 X league games if he had accepted the ban. By contesting it, he now has a 4 x league game ban. Am I imagining things, or has Ferguson prioritised the Carling Cup over the League? Seems odd to do so if he has as there was no chance of that ban being over turned.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In which case, if you think it was a successful cynical manipulation of the system, double the ban for frivolous appeals? Six games and they'd have thought even harder about it. I still think they'll miss him in the league, and it was an incredibly stupid thing to do in the first place given the lack of centre-backs all season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The weird thing is that Ferdinand would have missed last nights Carling Cup game and 2 X league games if he had accepted the ban. By contesting it, he now has a 4 x league game ban. Am I imagining things, or has Ferguson prioritised the Carling Cup over the League? Seems odd to do so if he has as there was no chance of that ban being over turned.

Its not so much that it was the Carling Cup. Moreso the fact that Ferguson simply could not entertain the thought of losing to City. I honestly don't think they could give a toss whether they go on to win that Cup or not now - that WAS their final last night. Dumping City out was the top priority, nothing else mattered.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its not so much that it was the Carling Cup. Moreso the fact that Ferguson simply could not entertain the thought of losing to City. I honestly don't think they could give a toss whether they go on to win that Cup or not now - that WAS their final last night. Dumping City out was the top priority, nothing else mattered.

Spot on there was a huge amount of kudos in knocking out City, had they lost that twat of an executive Cook would have been spouting absolute carnage by now.

I would have expected a minimum three libel cases already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here