Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio de Janeiro

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
There's no denying Rio is dodgy, but don't let it deter you. Its an amazing place and you can be safe enough if you're sensible. Buenos Airies is the place to go though if you had to choose between the two.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
There's no denying Rio is dodgy, but don't let it deter you. Its an amazing place and you can be safe enough if you're sensible. Buenos Airies is the place to go though if you had to choose between the two.

Spending 4 days in Buenos Aires including tango lessons :D Then going to theIguassu Falls before flying down to Rio. I hope it s ok as the Mrs is a bit concerned :D

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
Buenos Airies is absolutely class and the falls are definatley something else. I did know quite few people who got mugged when i was in rio, but nothing too violent! If you avoid the bad areas and don't look too much like a pasty western tourist you'll be alright. It's worth the risk to see the city, trust me!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Buenos Airies is absolutely class and the falls are definatley something else. I did know quite few people who got mugged when i was there, but nothing too violent! If you avoid the bad areas and don't look too much like a pasty western tourist you'll be alright. It's worth the risk to see the city, trust me!

Cheers. I will buy some fake tan and the Mrs is going to dye her hair :D

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
When does the footy season start over there. I thought about taking in a game but after watching football factories Int. I am not so sure

Important; DON'T wear jewelry (except maybe beads and a big fuckoff turban-looking thing made of fruit) or an expensive watch. DON'T flash money, or keep it all in one wallet.
Dangling something in front of someone who needs to feed their kids, that will do so for several weeks, is stupid.
Don't let go of your bags at any time, or have cameras showing in a crowded place.
Just don't flaunt any signs of wealth in front of people who have nothing.

Don't take loads of dosh down the beach. Your trousers may still be laying next to you when those 3year-old kids are no longer playing nearby, but your wallet will be gone.

In Rio, stay in the tourist area, or drive to Baha De Tujuca or Buzzios. Don't decide to take a wander around town or pop over to Maracana' sightseeing.... without some kind of guide.
If you hire a car and get lost or drive off the wrong highway exit at night, don't stop, just get back on the highway.

Just like a lot of the third-world, you have to know how to take precautions, not go with strangers to a nice little place they want to show you etc. And don't throw all your belongings in the boot of a cab unless one of you is actually in the vehicle. Drivers can rob you just like anyone else!

Take a few minutes, before you set out, to get familiar with the currency - you don't want to find out you just stupidly paid equivalent £300 for a bunch of bananas or a coke on the beach, or £75 for a short cab ride from the airport.
Everything is cheap there, so don't get 'took'.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
B.A is absolutely brilliant,and Iguacu likewise.Stunning.

Rio can be electric,and there are places that you've read about that you should not miss.But take care.It isn't the wild west exactly,but there are a lot of poor folk there who will see you as rich.Act accordingly.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Been to Rio 3 times (once for 3 months work), but much prefer B.A.
Earlier posts about what to do in Rio is spot on, just don't have anything of value on show, and be careful at night. We always stayed in Ipanema rather than Copa, which is a bit more upmarket and a little safer. Often if you get a cab the hotel has ordered they are pretty reliable and will often wait for a small(ish) fee whilst you do the sight seeing (Suger Loaf, Cristo etc).

B.A. is lovely, very relaxed and friendly. We went during the economic crash of 02 and everything was dirt cheap, but I guess prices have bounced back since. Walking around the Antiques/Arty area (San Telmo?) is very nice. Can do a tour round the Bocca jnrs. stadium which is good, but Bocca itself is v touristy and most safety hints apply there.

Iguacu is fantastic, and better than Vic or Niagra, as the two sides are somewhat different and you can wander around and feel like you are inamongst the smaller falls. If you get the chance go on one of the speedboat trips, v fast and you get right in the spray.

Have a stonking trip.

(Don't bother with the Dam (unless you like those sorts of things))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here