Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rinsing plates why dont we do it?

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
A colleague of mine is curious to know why English people never rinse their plates, glasses etc after giving them the once over with the washing up liquid. I dismissed his claim as absolutely preposterous but then when I came home at Christmas I observed people doing the plates and realized he had a valid point .We just dump them in the draining board (unless of course you have a dishwasher, in which case you couldn't give a big fat truck about this post).

Any clues as to why? I mean, it is pretty f***ing stupid isn't it. Even more mysterious is that even when you don't rinse them the plates never seem to give a Fairy (TM) sort of taste to your bangers and mash.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I do if leaving to dry, if wiping dry straight away i wouldn't rinse.

Things we talk about here!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do if leaving to dry, if wiping dry straight away i wouldn't rinse.

Things we talk about here!!!

We'll be asking what your favourite ever tea-towel is next.

I mean, how pathetically tragic, insignificant and desperate must we be if we end up going down that particular road. It will be like a cross between 'Houseparty' and the Letter page in Viz. Sad times - sad times.

So, what was your favourite ever tea towel? We had a lovely one depicting the Norfolk Broads once. Beautiful.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I rinse with water after using washing up liquid, I thought that was the norm???

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Rinsers, do you leave the hot tap running or fill the sink up again and just dip em in clean water? It's an issue very close to my heart and lets face it you don't want to overdo it on the gas billl now do you

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Rinsers, do you leave the hot tap running or fill the sink up again and just dip em in clean water? It's an issue very close to my heart and lets face it you don't want to overdo it on the gas billl now do you

Neither, I give it a quick rinse with some cold water. Just enough to get all the liquid off:thumbsup:

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Got a point though, who washes by hand in this day and age?

Then again am I just being a snob? I do wash my balls in a bidet.

Yeah but are you trying to tell me that dishwashers can clean a plate that has been left to go cruddy with baked beans on it for half an hour. Me thinks not Danny Boy, me thinks not. Not that I ever do the washing up, like

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll ask the wife.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Lush

Mods' Pet
I can't bear watching people rinse plates under a running tap. It's not necessary and a waste of an increasingly precious resource. Although what goes on behind the dishwasher door is probably just as bad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'll ask the wife.

:lolol:

but seriously, yeah i rinse under running water, maybe more the actually cleaning itself. cant stand the smell/taste of washing up liquid with food.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Needs a poll. Who has a dishwasher and who washes manually?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here