Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ring Ring

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fourteenth Eye said:
so will young ,jemaine jenas & sol campbell walk in to a bar & one of them says.................( insert your own line here)

Here, let me push your stool in

*coat*

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Sunday - unless JJ and DA get the injunctions they have applied for this afternoon.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Interesting perspective from Tony Cascarino in the Times on Monday:

Boys being boys in the dressing-room helps to keep homosexuality in football's closet
By Tony Cascarino

“I KNOW A GAY player at Aston Villa.” “Who?” “Give us a kiss and I’ll tell you!” That’s one of the milder jokes about homosexuality you are likely to find in the world of football. It’s a strange life. You talk about “birds” while you’re showering with blokes. I went from working on a building site to a job where I’d see naked men wandering around shamelessly on a daily basis.
Yesterday a newspaper printed allegations of top players involved in gay sexual behaviour with a phone being employed in a way I’m sure you won’t find recommended in the users’ manual. We don’t know who: of course we don’t, because homosexuality in football is the great taboo. Unless you’re having a laugh.

Nobody does banter better than footballers, and when homosexuality as a subject cropped up in my playing career, it was humorous rather than malicious — ribbing team-mates who took a little too much care over their appearance, or had a girly mannerism, for example.

I was chatting in a Dublin hotel bar with a guy who worked in a clothes shop that the Ireland players used to frequent. We were commiserating about our love lives. I was going through a divorce and feeling down. My companion said: “I’ve been with someone for 11 years, I’m looking to stray.”

“You’ll get another girl,” I said. “Actually I was with a feller.” Ah. I was about to make my excuses when Andy Townsend, wind-up merchant supreme, appeared. I whispered the situation to Andy — who then spent the rest of the evening trying to play Cupid as I squirmed.

Having worked as a hairdresser and gone with my salon colleagues to a gay club in Waterloo — a surprisingly excellent place to chat up women, by the way — maybe I am more tolerant than the average player. The unwanted attention was ultimately a laugh in Andy’s hands, but many footballers would not find it so funny. And discovering a team-mate was gay would be deadly serious.

Would a player mind if he found out a team-mate was gay? Probably. Players wouldn’t want to be left alone with him, they wouldn’t want to shower with him. Before you rush to criticise, would you find it acceptable for a man to walk around a women’s dressing-room? More importantly, team-mates would be self-conscious around the player. The sexual banter would develop an uncomfortable edge if it continued. It is an undesirable scenario for a manager, since an uneasy and divided squad is not a recipe for success.

A gay player himself would probably feel equally ill-at-ease. Dressing-rooms are like perverted nudist camps. Immature, wild places, little self-contained states where the normal rules of common decency and acceptable behaviour do not apply. Sexual activity and bodily functions are props players use for pranks and banter.

Boredom, testosterone, adrenalin; whatever the cause, weird things happen when players are out of the public eye. Disgusting stuff that boarding school boys couldn’t even dream of. I’m told by reliable sources that one former top-flight player began to perform oral sex on a less than enthusiastic team-mate at the back of the team coach for a bet.

Given the prevalence of homosexuality in the population at large, it is inconceivable that there are not a couple of gay players — per division, that is. As is obvious, the traditions and culture of the game do not exactly breed an environment in which gay players are likely to feel comfortable or thrive.

Since homosexual players are such a small minority, that makes it especially unlikely that they will come out. Who is going to want to bring so much focus upon themselves and potentially undermine their career?

It’s common to hear talking heads spout that “football” has a problem and “football” is intolerant. Other sports are no different; and what about society itself? It’s not like a player would have an easy ride from the public if he came out. The abuse from the stands would be destructive.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
lost in london said:
I’m told by reliable sources that one former top-flight player began to perform oral sex on a less than enthusiastic team-mate at the back of the team coach for a bet.

:ohmy:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Anyone else heard the one about the ex-England superstar who became manager of a non league team and the YTS lad on the back of the coach?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
TrevorDove said:
Anyone else heard the one about the ex-England superstar who became manager of a non league team and the YTS lad on the back of the coach?

You mean the one in Tony Cascarino's article two posts up? Yes.

Or is their another one?

Are all footballers turning gay?

And if they are, does this mean that we're going to suddenly become the premier team to play for? We might, just might, be able to find the loan players we need to keep us up.

I've heard that Terry Henry geezer likes a bit of man love...

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
garry nelsons left foot said:
You mean the one in Tony Cascarino's article two posts up? Yes.

Or is their another one?

Are all footballers turning gay?

And if they are, does this mean that we're going to suddenly become the premier team to play for? We might, just might, be able to find the loan players we need to keep us up.

I've heard that Terry Henry geezer likes a bit of man love...

It wasn't that incident as it wasn't oral, just a hand job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here