Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ridiculous number of Sussex homes with swimming pools

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Lack of opportunities? Poor education? Poor health services? Land stripped of natural resources? Natural resources privatised? Civil war? Third World debt? Famine? Disease? Over population? Lack of basic infrastructure? Lack of support from developed countries?

quite. i wouldn't call it destiny, though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
3 of my mates in lancing have pools,they all have roofs over and are all heated,why not???

I meant scandalous as when we lived there it was in the days when appartheit was in full swing. The only jobs africans would have was manual labour like miners in the goldfield, or as servants/cleaners etc.

This was a policy enacted by the state NOT the lack of oppertunity etc

It was great living there if you were white, .....

You paid them though, right?

In the USA, they turn a 'blind eye' to Mexican migrant workers - because they can pay them peanuts for hard labour, treat them badly, and they live several-to-a-room.
And the difference between that and slavery is........

....c'mon people. I'm struggling here......... oh yes, they are free to leave if they don't like it.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
they make sence if there in a conservatory. Very relaxing but the only private ones ive been in are tiny and not alot of point really :D

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good thread, lots of potential for class war.

It appears the swimming pool is, well ahead of the tennis court or the horse, a bit of an aspirational symbol for your more pleasure-loving, even ostentatious Brit.

I have to say, if I ever had the money (very unlikely) and a garden that would accomodate more than a paddling pool (even more unlikely) I'd happily sacrifice all my principles and get one in even for the annual week of use.

It is something we as a nation are especially keen on. In holiday resorts where there are loads of Brits and the villa market is driven by us, all the pads have pools even if the beach/sea is a short walk away.

Where we aren't in big numbers (eg Croatia, as I saw this summer) no one has pools in coastal villas, they just go and swim in the crystal-clear Adriatic instead.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I climbed Mount Mulanje in Malawi and we had porters to carry our bags.QUOTE]

I hope you aren't considering anything similar for your assault on the South Downs Way?? ???

I said I'd WALK with you -- not lump your frigging rucksack half-way across Sussex :angry:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I climbed Mount Mulanje in Malawi and we had porters to carry our bags.QUOTE]

I hope you aren't considering anything similar for your assault on the South Downs Way?? ???

I said I'd WALK with you -- not lump your frigging rucksack half-way across Sussex :angry:

I will give you 20 Kwacha, a portion of semolina and a rug if you lug it the whole way. Deal? :yahoo:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
yes :)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Good thread, lots of potential for class war.

II have to say, if I ever had the money (very unlikely) and a garden that would accomodate more than a paddling pool (even more unlikely) I'd happily sacrifice all my principles and get one in even for the annual week of use.

Why do you and others on here mention the 'annual week of use'? :nono:

My dad lives in Haywards Heath, has a heated outdoor pool and is open from May to September

People who say they are naff are just jealous - going for a swim in someones back garden in England is much rated ;)

scooter1

How soon is now?
I used to build and maintain pools for a living and if you can afford to have one then its likely you can afford to have it heated too(either indoor or out) and so I say fair fucks to em. I have a few friends who have them and f*** it, there's nothing better on a warm day than to fire up the bbq, fill the fridge full of beer and meat, and combine a bit of arseing around in the pool with the consumprion of ale and charred food

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here