Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ridiculous number of Sussex homes with swimming pools

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I flew into Gatwick airport yesterday for the first time in absolutely yonks. Cracking descent across the channel on a sunny day, over Eastbourne, and the Uckfield-Plumpton sort of area before landing. But what STAGGERED me was the number of places with swimming pools in the back garden. Even some of the smaller houses in villages had them. I have NEVER known ANYONE in this country with their own PRIVATE swimming pool. Do you?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Well the question I ask, then, is this.

What on EARTH is the POINT? Surely you can use it for about ONE WEEK every year?

I tell you, it's OSTENTATION gone MAD.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we had a swimming pool in SA...and a little african chap to clean it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We never had one, even in Dubai - we just went to the Country Club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
An ex-girlfriend had a swimming pool at home: it was horribly slimy,

(The pool that is - not the GF)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
could you have been witnessing the aftermath of the torrential rain we have been having lately. i understand that the river Uck was a little full :jester:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do however think its weird in the country to have a pool... unless you've got more money than sense and a little dwarf man to run across the lawn shouting "the plane the plane"....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
we had a swimming pool in SA...and a little african chap to clean it

Did he look like this?

leonfg1.png

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I flew into Gatwick airport yesterday for the first time in absolutely yonks. Cracking descent across the channel on a sunny day, over Eastbourne, and the Uckfield-Plumpton sort of area before landing. But what STAGGERED me was the number of places with swimming pools in the back garden. Even some of the smaller houses in villages had them. I have NEVER known ANYONE in this country with their own PRIVATE swimming pool. Do you?

Yep, lots of people.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did he look like this?

leonfg1.png

remarkably not

we had a gardner, maid, and some bloke who was a handy man/swimming pool / floor cleaner.

Looking back it was effing scandalous, but when in Rome and all that...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
remarkably not

we had a gardner, maid, and some bloke who was a handy man/swimming pool / floor cleaner.

Looking back it was effing scandalous, but when in Rome and all that...

I stayed with a hispanic family in the centre of Havana and they had a black maid and treated her very badly. They even warned me not to leave any valuables about as she would steal them. The maid was quite possibly the nicest woman I had ever met and treated me like a long lost son.

I don't think it is scandalous. Alas there are many people in less developed countries that are destined to only work in no skill jobs or not work at all.

I climbed Mount Mulanje in Malawi and we had porters to carry our bags. We stayed in a log cabin owned by a naturalised White Malawian. He refused to give the porters much food and refused to supply them with blankets (as they would make them smell, apparently) despite being sub-zero temperatures. I did, however, manage to get some food and blankets out to them in the end.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
don't make me, bof.

I am not making you do anything. :)

and where does this destiny come from?

Lack of opportunities? Poor education? Poor health services? Land stripped of natural resources? Natural resources privatised? Civil war? Third World debt? Famine? Disease? Over population? Lack of basic infrastructure? Lack of support from developed countries?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not making you do anything. :)

Lack of opportunities? Poor education? Poor health services? Land stripped of natural resources? Natural resources privatised? Civil war? Third World debt? Famine? Disease? Over population? Lack of basic infrastructure? Lack of support from developed countries?

I meant scandalous as when we lived there it was in the days when appartheit was in full swing. The only jobs africans would have was manual labour like miners in the goldfield, or as servants/cleaners etc.

This was a policy enacted by the state NOT the lack of oppertunity etc

It was great living there if you were white, .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here