Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ricky Lambert to saints

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The one business I'd question in the whole Stains saga is Norwich Union, who lent them the vast majority of the money. What kind of idiot signed off their business plan as a good investment?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Lambert's worth every penny in my view; a steal at that price.

Soton have paid their dues - 10pts deducted, relegation etc. The new owners have money, and they'd need to in order to cover the debts they've inherited! Nothing exists new owners spending money - we wouldn't have a new ground otherwise ???

We wouldn't have a new ground? Are you on drugs? Or have I completely missed your thought process??

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Southampton are the new Leeds.

bluestripe

Jul 14, 2009
cardiff have never been in administration

Couldn't agree more.
Not long ago it was all this "Saints on the brink" and "Save Our Saints" bollocks as if they were about to go out of existance, then three weeks later and they're spunking a million quid on one player.

Its makes me want to VOMIT. I wish they'd gone under, at least then it might focus some minds on clubs living within their MEANS instead of playing the system like this mob. Add Southampton to the lengthening list of cheating BASTARDS who have profited from going into adminstration...Leeds, Leicester, Cardiff etc.

Wankers.
cardiff have never been in administration get your facts right, were at the door but pulled through.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
In answer to some of the points levelled at my earlier "pleased Soton didn't go bust in the end" jottings:

"St Marys is an unattractive arena in a "shit" part of town with a lack of decent pubs"
- not sure what that has to do with things but for those who think that's important I would say a) planning permission was unlikely to be granted anywhere else was it b) we'd have given our eye teeth for that stadium a couple of years ago c) fans of other clubs will likely say similar things about about ours when it's built. I know this will shock some on NSC but not everyone things the sun shines out of our club's arse....

"Creditors should be paid in full and first"
Well, they fair more chance of being repaid now that Soton have survived - fact. And on the flip side, investments are a risk as anyone on the stock exchange will testify too; companies need to look at their own lending practices too in these situations don't forget. Otherwise global meltdown's can occur.....

"It's not fair they're spending money:tantrum:"
The football club is under new mgt; and this mgt may well pay back creditors in the long term. You're assuming they won't. And if every club had to be in credit before buying a player, hardly any clu, including the biggest would be allowed to buy anyone. But that's football e.g. Income and expenditure don't work like some childs piggy bank in these situations so stop looking at it so simplistically or you will give yourself a hernia. The only claim Soton cannot hang on to (which always irked re: Leeds) now is that they're "cash-strapped". But I don't think they are anymore since being under new mgt. Moreover, they have had a huge cash injection from a new source and it's that new source that's secured their future (ringing any bells Albion fans?). Be happy a club with a large fanbase and great tradition has survived to fight another day. They've fallen on relatively hard times (in comparison to recent history) and most of that can be attributed to their financial difficulties. For a club of their stature, being bottom of the 3rd tier will, to their fans, feel punishment enough.

To summarise:
Whatever you're thoughts, negative or otherwise, it's not about what's perceived as fair because everyone's got a different opinion as to what that equates to. That's why the league has rules and as far as I'm aware, Soton haven't broken any. So stop your bitterness and show some of the good-feeling clubs like they showed us in similar hard times. Personally, I'm glad they've lived to fight another day because Soton are one of our bigger middle-ranking clubs in my mind and I look forward to knocking them out in the 6th round of the cup as they did to us led by an inspired David Armstrong back in the mid-80's. He's bald, he's bent, his **** is up for rent, Davie Armstrong, Davie Armstrong. Marvellous days, one of the last packed Goldstones I can remember.....:thumbsup:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Palace have a transfer embargo, because their debts are football related. They owe four ex-players bonuses, I dont know if the league/F.A. can impose an embargo due to outside debts.
Personally im with portlock on this one, they came out of admin and are now free to run the club as the new owners see fit. However i think it will take more than Dan Harding and Ricky Lambert to fire Southampton back to the championship. £1 million plus for a striker who has never set the world alight anywhere until last season is a poor piece of business imho, I would rather have Murray to be quite honest.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I understand what Portlock is saying about new owners and he is right but I think it is annoying (even more so in our early Withdean days) when we are playing teams who have written off large debts, gone into admin (although now at least they have points deducted) and then come down to Withdean with their multi million pound players. It does make you wonder why Dick Knight bothered acting properly and struggled to find funds for players. It does not make for a level playing field.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
It is annoying i totally agree with you, but the BIG difference is that Southampton still have assets, i.e. St. Marys. We had nothing, if we had gone into administration we would not have come out as there was nothing for creditors to sell.
Dick Knight fought tooth and nail to keep this club alive, and used the only asset we had, a fantastic support that was not willing to stand by and watch the club die, as the catalyst to try and rebuild a once proud club.
In years to come we will be playing at Falmer and i will bet there is more than a few tears shed as we remember where we have come from.
The only tears Saints fans will have will come from the fact that their club is still struggling to get back into the upper echelons of football after years of wasting more money on journeymen footballers who were great the year before they signed for saints.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
cardiff have never been in administration get your facts right, were at the door but pulled through.

Apologies. I think I lumped Cardiff onto my "cheating bastards" list when the LMA were helping to pay some of their players wages while all the time they were STILL happily going out and signing more players on loan that they could not afford, during a relegation scrap.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here