Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ricky Hatton fight

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Love my boxing but really concerned about Ricky's comeback. Absolutely destroyed in his last fight, has had alcohol and drug problems and weight ballooned. Any thoughts?

Love my boxing but really concerned about Ricky's comeback. Absolutely destroyed in his last fight, has had alcohol and drug problems and weight ballooned. Any thoughts?

Well never mind not as if he needs the money. So it's more about him n if he gets batteteredhe still has a pay packet to compromise.

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
I don't like the idea of this comeback, however some have been successful, i.e Ray Leonard and George Foreman, and remember his only two losses were against the best two fighters of the last ten years

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The self discipline required alone is a good thing for Ricky. He always said he would go wild when not in training, lets hope he does well enough to keep him on the straight and narrow till he sorts himself out.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My heart says Hatton but my head is not so sure.

As Ernest says, Senchenko is no mug and credit to Hatton for taking such on a challenge in his first fight back.

I loved watching Hatton in his prime and I'd love to see him back at his best, but the history of boxing is littered with those who have tried this and failed.

We shall see.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It's a massive roll of the dice for Ricky. Everyone is concerned about his health and almost everyone is saying it is a big mistake. But if he still has that hunger and passion for the sport, then he has to try and come back surely?

Senchenko is a former world champion, but he was a paper champion. Anyone who can be knocked out by Pauli Malinaggi cannot be considered elite. In my opinion he's the perfect opponent for Ricky in the circumstances. By the end of Saturday night we will know whether or not it was the right move to come out of retirement.

Looking forward to seeing Freddie Flintoff give it a go as well.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I think the Flintoff thing is a demeaning piss-take.

Entitled to your opinion obviously. In the documentary that started last night he didn't look like he was doing too badly. Nearly knocked out one sparring partner, and even Sugar Ray Leonard had enthusiastic words after watching him in action. Personally I think fair fucks to him for going for it. Curtis Woodhouse was successful in turning pro boxer from pro football player, so I don't understand why Freddie is being written off like this. Even if he gets banged out at least he had a go.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC

He has achool and drug problems and his weight balloons between every fight! :moo:

Seriously I think he may lose on points.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he will surprise everybody and be like the old Hitman simply because he is a proud man and could have stayed as a promoter to make money but he chose to fight again and was not forced to as most boxers that make a comeback are due to money problems.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Entitled to your opinion obviously. In the documentary that started last night he didn't look like he was doing too badly. Nearly knocked out one sparring partner, and even Sugar Ray Leonard had enthusiastic words after watching him in action. Personally I think fair fucks to him for going for it. Curtis Woodhouse was successful in turning pro boxer from pro football player, so I don't understand why Freddie is being written off like this. Even if he gets banged out at least he had a go.

Of course the documentary was going to make him look good, it's all a hype package for the fight. They've matched him against a bum as well so I'm sure he'll win, which is bad for the sport IMO, making it look like anyone can have a go and do well.

As for Woodhouse, he's made a decent career as fighter (English Champion as I believe) but he was hardly a world class footballer as Flintoff was a cricketer. Personally I hope Flintoff gets knocked out and an end put to this joke.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Of course the documentary was going to make him look good, it's all a hype package for the fight. They've matched him against a bum as well so I'm sure he'll win, which is bad for the sport IMO, making it look like anyone can have a go and do well.

As for Woodhouse, he's made a decent career as fighter (English Champion as I believe) but he was hardly a world class footballer as Flintoff was a cricketer. Personally I hope Flintoff gets knocked out and an end put to this joke.

I was going to pull you up on calling this Dawson a bum, however having seen he has only taken the fight after a bout scheduled with Kimbo Slice fell through I fear you are right. They've been feeding Slice bums since he turned to pro boxing following his ill fated MMA career where a journeyman Seth Petrizelli exposed his glass jaw and a short stint in the UFC exposed his lack of cardio. If this Dawson was lined up to go against Slice he isn't going to be someone with real knockout power.

Although complaing this whole fight makes a mockery of boxing is a bit stupid, with the whole Haye/Chisora circus, plenty of questionable judges decision in the last few years and bums like Kimbo Slice turning pro, it's not Freddie Flintoff becoming a pro boxer that has turned the sport into a pantomime.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Although complaing this whole fight makes a mockery of boxing is a bit stupid, with the whole Haye/Chisora circus, plenty of questionable judges decision in the last few years and bums like Kimbo Slice turning pro, it's not Freddie Flintoff becoming a pro boxer that has turned the sport into a pantomime.

I entirely agree that this in and of itself is not soley responsible for making a mockery of the sport, but it's certainly another symptom that it could do without. The promoters have tried to make it as safe/low risk as possible with regard to the choice of opponent as you explained, but all it would take is one punch for that all to go horribly wrong. Boxing should be sending the message that it is not a sport to be messed around at, rather than continuing to encourage circus freak shows like this and, indeed, like the continuing 'career' of Kimbo Slice.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

The documentary was a risk in itself as there was no certainty that he would get his license. It shows him at the start of his training when he is pretty clueless. Overall it showed him doing poorly as well as improving, so it isnt an effort to glamorise him.

It's his first fight. Obviously he's going to step in with a fellow novice. I'm intrigued to know which fighters you know who stepped straight up and went into their first fight against credible competition? Even former kickboxers and mma champions start their careers against very low level opponents.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In fact Frutos I can't believe you are having a pop at boxing - your in to f***ing WWE ain't you?

I haven't actually watched that for quite some time, but I do have to wonder how you'd even know that I used to watch it. 2nd account perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here