Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ricky Gervais - After Life - Series 1 and 2

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
First couple of minutes - tweeted by Ricky Gervais about half an hour ago.. no spoilers

[tweet]1481690803521179650[/tweet]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Should have ended on a high with series 2. 3 felt a bit unnecessary and like going over old ground again.

It has some good moments but a bit like Oasis post 96 nothing sustained.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
i have never been a big fan of Gervais but I know many saw The Office as ground breaking comedy. It is interesting to see that his co-writer for The Office, Stephen Merchant, has managed to help create such an entertaining series as The Outlaws, where petty criminal's all seem to have redeeming features and depth of character whereas Ricky now just tries to get his laughs by swearing and saying "**** " a lot.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Never watched a Gervais series before. Watched all of this in the last week and really enjoyed it. I know the critics have panned series 3 and no, it's not as good as the first (how many series ever are) but it was still good and the ending was just right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Watched it. Same as series 2. Over sentimental , Gervais’s pet hates crow-barred in. Some laughs. Barely passable but entertained me for a few hours on a quiet night shift.

5/10

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really enjoyed it. Not as good as the first two, but a decent way to end to what is, IMO, an excellent series. The evolution of Tony's character is interesting to watch.

And [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION], I know you say it's completely unrealistic portrayal of grief but, to counter that I've seen loads of comments from people saying they today relate to it...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Really enjoyed it. Not as good as the first two, but a decent way to end to what is, IMO, an excellent series. The evolution of Tony's character is interesting to watch.

And [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION], I know you say it's completely unrealistic portrayal of grief but, to counter that I've seen loads of comments from people saying they today relate to it...

Well, obviously some parts are realistic. But smoking heroin with a homeless guy? Getting a pro.., sorry sex worker to clean your house? Going around giving huge cheques away? Floating about like some Home Counties Jesus, solving everyone’s problems for them?

I also find the way they seem to have conveniently filmed every second of their lives together rather unrealistic.
Middle aged people don’t do that. And if they were so much in love, why aren’t they enjoying the moment rather than filming everything?

That’s annoyed me so much I’m downgrading from a 4/10 to a 2/10

It has just enough laughs and pathos in it to have kept me coming back.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well, obviously some parts are realistic. But smoking heroin with a homeless guy? Getting a pro.., sorry sex worker to clean your house? Going around giving huge cheques away? Floating about like some Home Counties Jesus, solving everyone’s problems for them?

I also find the way they seem to have conveniently filmed every second of their lives together rather unrealistic.
Middle aged people don’t do that. And if they were so much in love, why aren’t they enjoying the moment rather than filming everything?

That’s annoyed me so much I’m downgrading from a 4/10 to a 2/10

It has just enough laughs and pathos in it to have kept me coming back.

strange man...! there's a lot of shite on the tv these days , i find the majority of it unwatchable , brain dead , fukwhitt fodder ......i'd rate series 1 2 &3 9 , 8 and 7 consecutively , not having lost the love of my life to an aggressive illness i have no idea how i would react but i think his character makes a decent representation of somebody who has run out of fux to give.My take on it was that she did the videos for him whilst he was out of the house for him to have after she was gone , which as a concept is fairly gut wrenching to grasp.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
strange man...! there's a lot of shite on the tv these days , i find the majority of it unwatchable , brain dead , fukwhitt fodder ......i'd rate series 1 2 &3 9 , 8 and 7 consecutively , not having lost the love of my life to an aggressive illness i have no idea how i would react but i think his character makes a decent representation of somebody who has run out of fux to give.My take on it was that she did the videos for him whilst he was out of the house for him to have after she was gone , which as a concept is fairly gut wrenching to grasp.

Is is really that strange to have an opinion on comedy? I don’t think so.

He’s filming the majority of the videos before she becomes ill. The fun times. That he’s behind a camera for.

I’m glad you enjoyed it, as you say, lot of dross on the telly so it’s good when you find something you enjoy.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is is really that strange to have an opinion on comedy? I don’t think so.

He’s filming the majority of the videos before she becomes ill. The fun times. That he’s behind a camera for.

I’m glad you enjoyed it, as you say, lot of dross on the telly so it’s good when you find something you enjoy.

i took it that she was making the films in his absence......?

didn't like the office as his david brent character was just too close to someone in real life who i cant tolerate.

i think the Afterlife shows are pretty good to be fair , there's another show by some of the office crew detectorists...?! i think its called , quirky , ridiculous , engaging. i mean i like gregg davies but taskmaster is absolute potty.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
sydney;10138812[B said:
]i took it that she was making the films in his absence......? [/B]

didn't like the office as his david brent character was just too close to someone in real life who i cant tolerate.

i think the Afterlife shows are pretty good to be fair , there's another show by some of the office crew detectorists...?! i think its called , quirky , ridiculous , engaging. i mean i like gregg davies but taskmaster is absolute potty.

Most of them are him filming their life pre-cancer. Playing with the dog, at the beach, at their wedding, at gatherings etc.

Have you actually watched it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Most of them are him filming their life pre-cancer. Playing with the dog, at the beach, at their wedding, at gatherings etc.

Have you actually watched it?

All of his filming her was done when he was either playing a joke on her or they were out doing something silly (like the boating lake) and her monologues were her way of saying goodbye to him. Considering the amount of people you see filming mundane stuff every day and posting it on social media, then it wasn't far fetched at all.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I generally like Gervais stuff but apart from a few funny moments I really did not enjoy this latest series. Most of the characters became like a parody of their earlier appearances and there was like a cringy blend of teen philosophy and over the top philanthropy with them majoring on Gervais character suddenly seeing the light and being the ‘angel’. The last episode with him walking around smiling at all of the good he had done whilst he fades off into the sunset was vomit inducing.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
To be fair, I’ve often felt like chucking a pot plant through the rear window of cars that haven’t stopped for me at a zebra crossing.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We binged S3 today and thought it was excellent. A brilliant cast and a little bit of swearing was good. The final scene was a bit soppy though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Binge watched it this weekend.
Funny & with pathos.
Good watch

The bit where the girl says her teacher date was a c.u.n.t. was comedy gold

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am surprised with the awful reviews of season 3 on here, I have friends who tell me it is amazing and to watch it, part 6 which is slated on here has an average imdb mark of 9.5. I intended to rejoin netflix just for this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here