Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Keys in trouble again

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Excellent point - no they weren't, which is why he has lost his job and they're still in theirs.

What winds me up is everyone jumping on the bandwagon calling him this and that!!

.. and that's why they don't work as television presenters isn't it and the huge riches that come with it.

Your colleagues aren't in the position of having their slightly outdated views broadcast to millions and reflecting badly on the company that employees them.

That's the difference...

When you are presenting a programme / working in a studio, all presenters know there is a possibility of being recorded, even if the output isn't being transmitted. Just to make it clear, he was recorded because he had a microphone on.

He would have known that, but was obviously arrogant enough to think that no-one else employed by the company would care, be too scared to report it or save it off somewhere for "later use".

How wrong he was.

Last edited:

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
.. and that's why they don't work as television presenters isn't it and the huge riches that come with it.

Your colleagues aren't in the position of having their slightly outdated views broadcast to millions and reflecting badly on the company that employees them.

That's the difference...

When you are presenting a programme / working in a studio, all presenters know there is a possibility of being recorded, even if the output isn't being transmitted. Just to make it clear, he was recorded because he had a microphone on.

He would have known that, but was obviously arrogant enough to think that no-one else employed by the company would care, be too scared to report it or save it off somewhere for "later use".

How wrong he was.

But he didn't broadcast his - in your words - 'slightly outdated views' to millions did he? The point I'm trying to make that in NEARLY TWENTY YEARS a few off air clips have cropped up, portraying him badly.

Yes, you're right - he was wrong for becoming so arrogant and so comfortable. But people need to chill out when it comes to labelling him a racist so and so.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But he didn't broadcast his - in your words - 'slightly outdated views' to millions did he? The point I'm trying to make that in NEARLY TWENTY YEARS a few off air clips have cropped up, portraying him badly.

Yes, you're right - he was wrong for becoming so arrogant and so comfortable. But people need to chill out when it comes to labelling him a racist so and so.

But since day one, I've been asking myself why someone has been stockpiling this material. It hasn't suddenly been discovered by accident.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

I think the most telling thing is that not one single person who he has worked with IN NEARLY TWENTY YEARS has come out to defend him or to say that he's not as bad as he's being portrayed - this was absolutely not the case when Ron Atkinson made his racist comments.

The fact is that everyone who's ever met the man seems to consider him to be one of the most unpleasant people they've ever met.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
But since day one, I've been asking myself why someone has been stockpiling this material. It hasn't suddenly been discovered by accident.

Who knows mate?

Maybe Sky Sports wanted to change the face of their football broadcasting and someone near the top stockpiled it themselves (they were never going to be sacked for being incompetent were they?)?

Maybe it was someone who makes the tea who had a grudge because Keys never said 'thank you'?

Who knows? I don't care.

But what does annoy me is ignorant twerps posting weekend headlines from the bloody Mirror and being so bloody judgemental!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Excellent point - no they weren't, which is why he has lost his job and they're still in theirs.

What winds me up is everyone jumping on the bandwagon calling him this and that!!
You can sleep soundly in the knowledge that I'm not calling him this and that.

I'm calling him a massive arsehole. Not just the ordianry gaping orifice which we all possess, but an all encompassing all consuming CHASM, from which no traveller has ever returned.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
You can sleep soundly in the knowledge that I'm not calling him this and that.

I'm calling him a massive arsehole. Not just the ordianry gaping orifice which we all possess, but an all encompassing all consuming CHASM, from which no traveller has ever returned.

I would probably agree with you then.

An arsehole he is, but not a racist.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Its amazing that data on a "test" channel 11 years ago, still exists. lol, someone has a serious grudge against him. Wouldn't be surprised if it was leaked the same time as the other leaks, but the Mirror held onto it, for another storm.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
While a bit professionally dicey to use the word, saying someone is 'chocco' is not necessarily racist. It's whether it is considered that the word is used to demean or belittle someone or imply they are inferior because of their skin colour. If 'chocco' has a history of being used in a negative way to describe someone's skin colour, it was pretty unwise of Keys to use it without making it clear he was not using it that way.

At times, I have heard 'chocolate' used as a substitute for brown, as in 'chocolate coloured hair' - which isn't considered offensive. Likewise, using chocolate to describe skin colour is not automatically racist, although sometimes in the way it is used it may be.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But surely calling a black player Chocco is still racist even if he was playing up to Souness?
racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

Calling someone Chocco hardly makes you racist. A prick, maybe, a tosser, well yer definating in Keys case, but come on, hardly racist is it.

The word racist is way to over used these days. Remember a few years ago, it was considered racist to be worried about immagration.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Blimey, imagine what Keys is like when he's out with the lads and pissed up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here