Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Rhyming Slang - Do You Use It?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having an ‘Oily’ (rag) for a cigarette, although I think ‘Harry’ (Wragg) is the cockney endorsed slang.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
NO, NO and thrice no! - this is NOT proper Cockney rhyming slang
Cockney rhyming slang is based on two words that go together, the second word rhymes with the word intended but is never said.
So "laugh" is "tin" [or sometimes "bubble" - so "you're 'aving a tin" [bath] = laugh
"Giraffe" is only one word and sounds like laugh - but is a non-cockney attempt to speak the lingo

Anyone who uses "Giraffe" to mean laugh is an imposter and should be called out ...

look-marge-im-a-cockney-wanker.jpg

:wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ll have the Patrick

Patrick Swayze - Chicken Jalfrezi

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
NO, NO and thrice no! - this is NOT proper Cockney rhyming slang
Cockney rhyming slang is based on two words that go together, the second word rhymes with the word intended but is never said.
So "laugh" is "tin" [or sometimes "bubble" - so "you're 'aving a tin" [bath] = laugh
"Giraffe" is only one word and sounds like laugh - but is a non-cockney attempt to speak the lingo

Anyone who uses "Giraffe" to mean laugh is an imposter and should be called out ...

The question was "rhyming slang do you use it?" Yes the OP mentioned Cockneys as the most well known purveyors of this medium but the question did not specify it had to be cockney rhyming slang only. Having a giraffe is commonly used rhyming slang so you have made a mistake here.

I will not dwell on the idiocy of attempting to impose laws on something as organic and informal as slang, except to point out that your two word rule for cockney rhyming slang is incorrect. The first example that comes to my head is "tomfoolery" for "jewellery".

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The question was "rhyming slang do you use it?" Yes the OP mentioned Cockneys as the most well known purveyors of this medium but the question did not specify it had to be cockney rhyming slang only. Having a giraffe is commonly used rhyming slang so you have made a mistake here.

I will not dwell on the idiocy of attempting to impose laws on something as organic and informal as slang, except to point out that your two word rule for cockney rhyming slang is incorrect. The first example that comes to my head is "tomfoolery" for "jewellery".

I understood the question just fine, thank you.

I was [attempting to] point out that people who say "Giraffe" thinking they are using CRS are not using it properly.
In your one [and only] example of a one-word CRS for jewellery, you are correct BUT the whole word is not said in CRS.
Thus, the bird in Minder back in the 70's confused many when saying: "Ere, he's 'ad it away with my tom" referring to a break-in by a burglar who had stole her jewellery.

So, if Giraffe were to be recognised and used as CRS correctly, folk would say: "you're 'aving a gir" leaving off the affe bit that rhymes [with laugh].

No laws to CRS mate, just a right or wrong way to use it.
If you are claiming there is another type of rhyming slang in use other than the cockney flavour, please post some details as I'm interested in it's origins.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I often poke fun at my own 'Derby' which has become more rotund since lockdown.

A lady I used to work with used to state that her favourite was 'Harry on the Boat'. And yes she probably did mean what she was describing as much as the slang itself.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Minerals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was [attempting to] point out that people who say "Giraffe" thinking they are using CRS are not using it properly.
In your one [and only] example of a one-word CRS for jewellery, you are correct BUT the whole word is not said in CRS.
Thus, the bird in Minder back in the 70's confused many when saying: "Ere, he's 'ad it away with my tom" referring to a break-in by a burglar who had stole her jewellery.

So, if Giraffe were to be recognised and used as CRS correctly, folk would say: "you're 'aving a gir" leaving off the affe bit that rhymes [with laugh].

No laws to CRS mate, just a right or wrong way to use it.
If you are claiming there is another type of rhyming slang in use other than the cockney flavour, please post some details as I'm interested in it's origins.

I honestly thought you were mucking about. But you actually were giving me a lecture on rhyming slang.

Let me know if you ever plan to visit my local and I'll make sure I'm washing my hair that evening.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

People who use 'Giraffe' knowing full well it is not cockney rhyming slang, merely a piece of well known and well used common or garden generic rhyming slang are absolutely fine, and are not appropriate targets for censure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here