Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Return of The King

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Money, money, money... why else would King be back? And where is the investment coming from? Intriguing.

What an extraordinary appointment! There really isn't any money at the Dripping Pan and I can't see the Community Benefit Society that owns the Club being anything other than very cautious not to overstretch themselves.

King crowned at Lewes - Lewes FC

King crowned at Lewes Saturday 4 June 2011

Lewes FC have announced that, as of today, Steve King will be returning to the club, having previously led them to the Blue Square Bet South title in 2008.

King commented: “I’m really happy to be back. Now I want to build something going forward. It’s going to be an amazing time.”

A rigorous set of criteria was applied to all candidates considered; all were told they’d need to work with the same, set playing budget.

The club also ensured that the cost of each candidate’s proposed management team fitted within a clear budget. King himself has taken a significant drop in pay to enable his return to the Dripping Pan.

Clearly, the next most important factor was a judgment on the likely footballing success of each candidate based on track record and their plans as laid out in interviews.

The selection panel also assessed the overall contribution that each candidate and their coaching team might make to the community engagement objectives of Lewes FC and its long-term ambitions to develop a viable base of Sussex players via a strong youth set-up and Academy.

Alex Leith, Community Board member, said: "We're delighted to welcome Steve King back as manager of Lewes FC, after carefully considering his profile against what was a surprisingly strong list of candidates."

"We chose Steve because we felt that the positive footballing style his teams tend to espouse epitomizes and underpins the forward-thinking community-oriented nature of the club, as it moves forward into a new era.”

Steve Ibbitson, Chairman of Lewes FC added: “This has been a challenging process and we’ve interviewed some very good people. Our supporters have been great over three difficult years and they deserve to see us winning more matches as well as playing good football and we think this gives us the best possibility of that."

"Of course, we will also continue to operate on a sound financial basis, whilst at the same time building for our future, especially through our Youth set up.”

Steve King will be joined at Lewes by assistant manager Justin Skinner.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Clicked on the thread thinking it was about Lord of the Rings which has just finished on TV!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Simon Colbran would have been a wiser choice. He sussed what the Lewes board were up to - Stringing him along. He opted instead to join County League team Redhill.

Having spent recklessly & lived way beyond their means previously, Lewes will no doubt see this as their version of the mesiah returning.

Trouble is - 99% of 'Mesiah returns' usually end in dismal failure.

Mullery? Keegan? Adams? Without cash to splash, King will get found out.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I agree with Pinkie. My gut feeling initially was that this was a great appointment for Lewes,but he hasn't the squad he had before & won't have any kind've budget.
Is there any manager ever who has returned to manage a club and succeed again. I really cannot think of one.

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
I agree with Pinkie. My gut feeling initially was that this was a great appointment for Lewes,but he hasn't the squad he had before & won't have any kind've budget.
Is there any manager ever who has returned to manage a club and succeed again. I really cannot think of one.

Darren Ferguson

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Simon Colbran would have been a wiser choice.

But Simon has about 1k a week more to spend than King. Good appt for Redhill. Will be interesting to see what King can do without the budget that nearly bankrupted Lewes.

Time will tell.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Have they made it absolutely clear to him this time that he's not allowed to get them promoted?

Can't stand King.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
steve king is a twat

cannot see him being anything other than an abject failure without a huge budget. with ibbitsson in charge and this whole community club thing the club is run by some decent people at last who know how far they can go, and i really cant see them overstretching the amount of money just to please the manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here