Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Retirement

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs and I are just redoing our wills. Our solicitor has also suggested one of the ‘lifetime interest trusts’ that as you say once the first of us turns up our toes their share of the house goes into trust for the kids and is supposedly untouchable for care home fees etc that may one day be needed by the survivor.

It sounds tempting, but like all things it sounds too good to be true. There must surely be pitfalls, or am i just being my normal overly suspicious self?

We have exactly this on our property for our two kids. Take advice, but it does exactly what we wanted :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
When I venture out on my little retirement rambles now I tend to switch off my phone, not overly safe to do but bloody nice.

(Take it with me for emergencies but leave it off until back in the house or at the “refuelling stop” close to home.)

I sit down en-route and break out a pork pie without checking emails, texts, FB etc or expecting a call, instead I just take in the surroundings and think about pretty much nothing, it’s almost an art form!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When I venture out on my little retirement rambles now I tend to switch off my phone, not overly safe to do but bloody nice.

(Take it with me for emergencies but leave it off until back in the house or at the “refuelling stop” close to home.)

I sit down en-route and break out a pork pie without checking emails, texts, FB etc or expecting a call, instead I just take in the surroundings and think about pretty much nothing, it’s almost an art form!

Nice. Where are you located?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
….our go to things now are holidays really.

we have never been busier to be honest. We walk every day , I play golf three times a week and the mrs does Pilates / gym / etc as well as family things.

best thing we did deciding to pack work in.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nice. Where are you located?
Arundel mate, walk locally and along the coast. Have started to plan walking The Grand Union Canal either late Summer or Spring ‘25. Will depend on my poorly ankle.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
….our go to things now are holidays really.

we have never been busier to be honest. We walk every day , I play golf three times a week and the mrs does Pilates / gym / etc as well as family things.

best thing we did deciding to pack work in.
Yes, we’ve done Morocco, Majorca & Algarve this year and some long British weekends. In Nov & Dec we’re off to India, Himalayas, Golden Triangle taking in three famous train journey, end up in Jaipour and then fly to Mumbai. Then hop on a boat for Chicin, Goa, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand & Singapore. Return two days before Christmas, knackered but with some great memories hopefully.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, we’ve done Morocco, Majorca & Algarve this year and some long British weekends. In Nov & Dec we’re off to India, Himalayas, Golden Triangle taking in three famous train journey, end up in Jaipour and then fly to Mumbai. Then hop on a boat for Chicin, Goa, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand & Singapore. Return two days before Christmas, knackered but with some great memories hopefully.
I’m doing an increasing amount of fishing including matches……..phone is always put on silent and pretty much ignored for the duration, but often don’t have a signal where I fish anyway. Absolutely love it 😊

Similar plan re holidays…….recently done Canada/Alaska, Qatar, Portugal and Croatia, soon off to Singapore and Oz for 6 weeks, Florida for Christmas and New Year, Portugal again in the Spring and got Quito and the Galapagos Islands booked early next summer

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
That’s a busy itinerary - I love India - we went to the Himalayas last year as part of a sabbatical - amazing place - we’re returning to India again over Christmas/new year tiger reserve, Hyderabad and North Goa

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Sounds fantastic, but can’t help think you must be (heavy brummie accent) ‘considerably richer than me’😂

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s great that you are fit and wealthy enough to do all this. I wonder what the equivalent thread on Middlesbrough’s chat room talks about…….

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I retired in February at the grand old age of 50. I knew I needed something to keep me occupied so started an online antiques business as always had a thing for buying/selling. I've never been so busy now but loving it. Feel very lucky that I now get to spend the time with the kids whilst they are still at home and annoy the missus every day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It’s great that you are fit and wealthy enough to do all this. I wonder what the equivalent thread on Middlesbrough’s chat room talks about…….
I am sure they still have their weekly Parmo treat

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
One of the absolute pleasures of retirement, and there are many, is when I take my Boxer Maisie (she, on the left!) for a walk on a Monday morning. We pass queues of cars with people off to work all looking miserable and me and she content in the knowledge that we will stroll home for a leisurely breakfast.

On a serious note though, if you’re going for retirement my suggestion is that you reduce your working hours. From full time hours to part time so that you experience a gradual change to your lifestyle and embrace it accordingly. That way the shock of what will I do to fill those vacant working hours will be a joy not a hindrance. Right, I‘m off to the pub. :drink:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
One of the absolute pleasures of retirement, and there are many, is when I take my Boxer Maisie (she, on the left!) for a walk on a Monday morning. We pass queues of cars with people off to work all looking miserable and me and she content in the knowledge that we will stroll home for a leisurely breakfast.

On a serious note though, if you’re going for retirement my suggestion is that you reduce your working hours. From full time hours to part time so that you experience a gradual change to your lifestyle and embrace it accordingly. That way the shock of what will I do to fill those vacant working hours will be a joy not a hindrance. Right, I‘m off to the pub. :drink:
Great point, I went down to 4 days and then 3 and eventually just did some consulting as required. I'd imagine it would be a big shock to go straight from 5 to nothing.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I suppose we are all different but after a work life of extensively travelling 30,000 miles a year and in some years 4 flights a month, the thought of travelling by plane fills me with dread also we would miss not looking after the grandkids, so just enjoying do my own thing at home.

In saying all that Mrs Loz and me are inter railing around Italy for the month of September. Hope to go from top of the boot then heal to toe, up the west side up to the lakes then get the train back to London.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last month I took a 20% retirement. Dropped my hours by 20%, dropped my salary to 80%, took 80% of my max lump sum*, and am receiving 80% of my pension. What were they thinking?

My job is most peculiar. All the managers are 'research' managers. But I am employed to do teaching, research and admin. My 'boss' is not interested in my research, and when he took over he made no effort to include me in . . . . anything. Well, that's red rag to an autistic bull. I haven't spoken to him in the last 15 years.

But....I am left to my own devices. I have continued to fund research, and I have a massive teaching load. And yet....

The job is stupidly easy. Because I don't have any research 'targets' in my 'appraisal' (which is managed at a lower level by the 'section head') and have the most teaching hours in the 'school' I am deemed doing a splendid job but not eligible for promotion.

I am able to do most of my work from home and schlep it to London only when I have contact teaching (maybe 50 days a year).

So taking full retirement seems a bit.....pointless at the moment.

*the plan is to get the boy on the property ladder. Bank of dad and all that. When he gets around to start looking.... <sigh>. But it has been a horrendous year for him, so bad I have not and would not describe it on NSC. Onwards and upwards, though. :thumbsup:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I am slightly closer to retiring. Sold my rental flat and the money from that has cleared my mortgage. Only 51 so very pleased with that. Trouble is still need an income as pension doesnt kick in for many years. wife earns (currently more than me!) so we could drop to her salary but it would be a tight life especially as we have a 11 year old. I want to be able to buy the odd coffee or pint after all.
Its just the thought of working another 16 years is terrifying. I think I will go mad. Probably too old to retrain so have to suck it up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last month I took a 20% retirement. Dropped my hours by 20%, dropped my salary to 80%, took 80% of my max lump sum*, and am receiving 80% of my pension. What were they thinking?

My job is most peculiar. All the managers are 'research' managers. But I am employed to do teaching, research and admin. My 'boss' is not interested in my research, and when he took over he made no effort to include me in . . . . anything. Well, that's red rag to an autistic bull. I haven't spoken to him in the last 15 years.

But....I am left to my own devices. I have continued to fund research, and I have a massive teaching load. And yet....

The job is stupidly easy. Because I don't have any research 'targets' in my 'appraisal' (which is managed at a lower level by the 'section head') and have the most teaching hours in the 'school' I am deemed doing a splendid job but not eligible for promotion.

I am able to do most of my work from home and schlep it to London only when I have contact teaching (maybe 50 days a year).

So taking full retirement seems a bit.....pointless at the moment.

*the plan is to get the boy on the property ladder. Bank of dad and all that. When he gets around to start looking.... <sigh>. But it has been a horrendous year for him, so bad I have not and would not describe it on NSC. Onwards and upwards, though. :thumbsup:
The only counter to the ‘pointless’ aspect I wrestled with for ages was the impact on my time. I could very, very easily have continued to take the decent salary for a job I could do in my sleep in (despite what it thinks of itself) a mostly low-pressure, low expectation organisation but even WFH and with a decent amount of flexibility the majority of my time awake was still spent working. You can buy anything material you want, but you can’t buy time, or ever get it back. I’m about 4 years into retirement now (I’m 58) and haven’t regretted stopping for a single second. My days and weeks are very full (overfull sometimes), but filled with stuff I choose to do. I went to a good mate’s funeral last week - yet another taken way too early (59). Life’s too short for working if you don’t need to, unless you genuinely enjoy your job so much and have few other interests to occupy your time imo.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

I would suggest just put it on mute or Airplane Tim that's what i do. Suppose you or I had a fall or something happened my kids have got me on find my phone so if something did happen they would know exactly where i am. After 3 days when they wanted something :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here