Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Retirement

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Saw an interesting program where one of the panelists said that the only reason any man aged 65 or over should be working is because he needs the money. Basically if you have worked to that age you have done your ‘sentence’ and should be enjoying your hard earned retirement after 40 odd years or more. His thinking was that a lot of people who are comfortably off continue working past 65 out of vanity, they simply can’t imagine how the company can carry on without their vast wealth of knowledge and experience. There is also a sound reason they should not continue as both physically and mentally they are not what they were when they were 20. Also they are actually being somewhat selfish by preventing younger people getting much needed work. Makes sense to me – I bailed out at 62, there’s only so much BS you can take.
Great advice. I’m not planning on working full time after 60. You only get one life.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My mother just got the confirmation of her ~10% state pension rise from April.

Of course this also becomes part of future pensions so is a nice rise for us all in the future.

Just 2.5 weeks until Mr Hunt may well tell me that my state retirement age will go up to 68 though ( don't do it Jeremy.... ).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
On top of my three times a week playing of the beautiful game, I now swim for an hour non-stop at the Prince Regent once a week. £ 3.65 well spent. Also, I've started playing snooker again. Not played for 40 years until now. I'm still hopeless! A three-hour session from mid-morning means another day almost full.
I'm loving retirement!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
On top of my three times a week playing of the beautiful game, I now swim for an hour non-stop at the Prince Regent once a week. £ 3.65 well spent. Also, I've started playing snooker again. Not played for 40 years until now. I'm still hopeless! A three-hour session from mid-morning means another day almost full.
I'm loving retirement!
Now I'm jealous. My knees mean a couple of times a week is my absolute limit (and after a tournament I need a week and a half to recover) :down:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Clearly an optimist who has never had to deal with the Department for Work and Pensions :wink:
You're just an old romantic.

I made my NI top ups for myself and my wife in early December, and they've just been applied, so it took them about 10 weeks.

The fact that I'm relieved they got it right, is a reflection of my expectations. Hence in today's world, a 10 week turnaround becomes acceptable when it isn't acceptable.
It's rubbish. We are so conditioned to poor service and performance by public bodies, that we rejoice when we finally get something that we asked for 10 weeks ago, and consider it a good result.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I recommend getting yourself a Seniors railcard card (from age 60, use on off peak trains) and have a look around the UK, plenty of really nice places to visit. Scotland a must.
I've just purchased a veterans railcard and am starting to plan a Scotland cycling holiday. Nothing too arduous so thinking of sticking close to Lochs, imagining fewer hills? Alternatively (avoiding the midgies), I may look at canal towpaths in the Midlands? Anyone any experience?

Nicks

I've just purchased a veterans railcard and am starting to plan a Scotland cycling holiday. Nothing too arduous so thinking of sticking close to Lochs, imagining fewer hills? Alternatively (avoiding the midgies), I may look at canal towpaths in the Midlands? Anyone any experience?
Dont go in the summer as it's a Midge Frenzy up there

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Saw an interesting program where one of the panelists said that the only reason any man aged 65 or over should be working is because he needs the money. Basically if you have worked to that age you have done your ‘sentence’ and should be enjoying your hard earned retirement after 40 odd years or more. His thinking was that a lot of people who are comfortably off continue working past 65 out of vanity, they simply can’t imagine how the company can carry on without their vast wealth of knowledge and experience. There is also a sound reason they should not continue as both physically and mentally they are not what they were when they were 20. Also they are actually being somewhat selfish by preventing younger people getting much needed work. Makes sense to me – I bailed out at 62, there’s only so much BS you can take.
I am interested in your "there is only so much BS you can take", can you expand on that please?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ve got a national insurance contribution question.

I’m likely to leave my job during the next financial year..

At the time I leave my job I will have earned about 17k in the financial year.

It’s possible I may not earn for the rest of the financial year.

Will I have earned enough in 23/24 to qualify for one of the 35 qualifying years I need for my full state pension?

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here