Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Reserving Tables in Pubs for drinking

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
A bit more than a touch..... it irritates me intensely.... We have more than once accidentally 'lost' a reserved sign on tables in normal pubs.....pleading ignorance when the reserves turn up sometime later.... in a meal focused venue fair enough, but not just in a boozer.
That is such a dick move

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Don't get what the issue is really. Booked a table in my local for the game last night got there at 6:20 and someone was sat on it. No issue I just sat at the bar for a few beers. Moved to the table at 7:30. Was sat with other locals who had all arrived before 7pm. Surely as a pub you should be looking after your regular customers over once in a blue moon patrons. You can book a table in my local online, over the phone or even via their app it's not difficult. If you aren't organised enough to do that then tough titties IMO.

The biggest issue was with the people who hadn't booked and decided to sit wherever they fancied including one bloke who though it was ok to sit in front of the kitchen door. Also a group of young girls who made a song and dance about there being nowhere to sit but managed to grab some chairs and sat behind us and talked throughout the entire game without drawing breath, if they watched 30 seconds of the game I'd be surprised.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
In London, at least in my neck of the woods, pubs 'sell out' way in advance, little to no chance of booking a table within a few days of a Euros game involving England. Quite frustrating but I guess you either make the effort to get in there early or accept you'll watch the match standing in the pub or at home.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The important thing is you get to see the match with the buzz of watching it in the company of fellow fans shirley? It's never going to be an extension of booking a meeting room at work, and IMHO never should be :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit more than a touch..... it irritates me intensely.... We have more than once accidentally 'lost' a reserved sign on tables in normal pubs.....pleading ignorance when the reserves turn up sometime later.... in a meal focused venue fair enough, but not just in a boozer.

More than once I moved towels off sunloungers. Loved the reaction when the bloke who'd placed them the night before turned up mid morning and found out. He went for faux deep voice tough guy, which was ignored.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems fine to book a table, especially at food led pub as many increasingly are.
the problem would be where we haven't established an ettiqutte for no shows. it should be convention, or stipulated by the venue, you need to take up the booking with in 10-15 minutes.

many times been to pubs/bars with tables booked for hours without use while it's busy people standing around. i cant understand why pubs dont get a bit strict on this as they're probably losing trade from those not finding a table. i know when work has booked tables, a vangaurd head off early to stake claim and this is how it should be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
seems fine to book a table, especially at food led pub as many increasingly are.
the problem would be where we haven't established an ettiqutte for no shows. it should be convention, or stipulated by the venue, you need to take up the booking with in 10-15 minutes.

many times been to pubs/bars with tables booked for hours without use while it's busy people standing around. i cant understand why pubs dont get a bit strict on this as they're probably losing trade from those not finding a table. i know when work has booked tables, a vangaurd head off early to stake claim and this is how it should be.
Shirley the correct etiquette here is to make use of the table until such time as the booked party deign to arrive, then be prepared to move. And make the bar staff aware, if they ask, that you'll be happy to move. Done that many a time. Often the booked party don't appear at all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shirley the correct etiquette here is to make use of the table until such time as the booked party deign to arrive, then be prepared to move. And make the bar staff aware, if they ask, that you'll be happy to move. Done that many a time. Often the booked party don't appear at all
we're British, if there's a sign to stay off the grass, we'll jolly well do so. yes, should be the ettiquette we just dont seem to adopted it widely.
it is how i usually resolve this though, easily enough to get up. problem if you want food it becomes awkward.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
100% this - and possibly why I’ve found this thread a bit confusing. I’ve never even considered the idea that a unoccupied reserved table at a pub is off limits even outside of the hours it’s been reserved for? Madness.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Obviously the right move is to dash the reserved sign off the table and take a seat. If anyone challenges you, smash the place up.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
I'm watching the England game at home tonight but I've nipped in the pub for a quick pint whilst my lad goes to football training. I'm quite frankly staggered at the amount of tables reserved for people to sit at for the football and I really dont get it.

- First come first served is surely fairest. Mikey 9 fingers might sit there with a pint of mild most Wednesdays but it isn't most Wednesdays today.
- Reserving tables encourages the reserver to come later thus reducing revenue. Why encourage that?
- Having your favourite table is all a bit league of gentlemen for me.

Is it just me that thinks this type of behaviour is worse than the Rwanda bill, Crystal Palace and Fred West combined or is it me that's not living in the 90s anymore and poor old Mike and his dog that shits itself regularly should have it's reserved seat?

Open to the floor
Two out of three ain't bad...

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm watching the England game at home tonight but I've nipped in the pub for a quick pint whilst my lad goes to football training. I'm quite frankly staggered at the amount of tables reserved for people to sit at for the football and I really dont get it.

- First come first served is surely fairest. Mikey 9 fingers might sit there with a pint of mild most Wednesdays but it isn't most Wednesdays today.
- Reserving tables encourages the reserver to come later thus reducing revenue. Why encourage that?
- Having your favourite table is all a bit league of gentlemen for me.

Is it just me that thinks this type of behaviour is worse than the Rwanda bill, Crystal Palace and Fred West combined or is it me that's not living in the 90s anymore and poor old Mike and his dog that shits itself regularly should have it's reserved seat?

Open to the floor
I book tables out. However, all bookings must arrive 2 hours before kickoff or lose their table. Also, people like ‘Mickey 9 fingers’ are our bread and butter the rest of the year, so I look after him and other regulars.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This. We usually get a table when we wouldn’t normally as nobody has taken advantage because it’s reserved from 6:30, this might be as early as say, 3pm.
I don’t really have an opinion as a) I’m usually ok sitting at the bar or b) it sort of crept in over the last few years and I didn’t really take any notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here