Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remind me, why did I go to Blackpool v Albion, years ago.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
First trip there was 1987/8. We were on a good run and in with a shout of promotion, but a win was essential. Garry Nelson put us one up, and it looked as if we had three points in the bag. Blackpool equalised with about two minutes to go, and other results were going against us.

From the kick off John 'Football Genius' Crumplin, who was still seen as a joke player in those days, picked up the ball on the right, weaved his way inside and unleashed a 30 yard piledriver that flew into the back of the net. It took a second or two for the goal to register with the Albion away crew, as were expecting it to be in row Z. Garry Nelson then added a third and we came away with three excellent points, and were promoted that season on the last day at home to Bradford City.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
It was in the dark days.
Obviously all the Blackpool stuff has reminded me of our trip, only now, amazing memory man that I am, I can't remember exactly why we went.

Was it our last game, pre sale of Beeney?

I think I was at the same game in the 1993/94 season. It was the time when the supreme architect of the Albion's decline, Greg Stanley, was playing games about it being the club's last match. This nonsense went on for a while until he recuited Bellotti and Archer to take the blame for him and then showed great skill in conning many Albion fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I was at the same game in the 1993/94 season. It was the time when the supreme architect of the Albion's decline, Greg Stanley, was playing games about it being the club's last match. This nonsense went on for a while until he recuited Bellotti and Archer to take the blame for him and then showed great skill in conning many Albion fans.
Yeah that fits, time wise. How did we do?

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
I went to see albion play in Blackpool in the early/mid 90s.

I remember Robert Codner scoring what I remember to be a classy long range volley in the last few minutes.

Not sure if we won or not but the goal sticks in my mind.

Can anyone decipher which game I am talking about??

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
i remember going in the early ninties, (maskeel, paul mcdonald, baird etc) and they signed a contract to develope ground on the pitch before the game, was gutted at time as we were f***ed! Andy Preece played for them, and costas express broke down on way home! FUN DAYS

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I used to go to college in Blackpool and witnessed what I think was our first away game when we got promoted to the old Div 2 in 1970 ( I think ). We got tonked 6-2 and have to say it was pretty embarrassing . I was well chuffed they won yesterday.

What a start to the week...a reminder of my worst day following the Albion.

August 19th 1972. Train all the way there - god knows how long it must have taken. 3-1 down at half time and then chased out of the ground by Blackpool fans -quite without reason by the way as we weren't hooligans. A lot of games were played in a menacing atmosphere back then. Heard it was 6-2 final score to no great surprise. Turned out we were outclassed in Div 2 that season and this was the first inkling of that.

Back in London, set upon by either Chelsea or Leicester fans(can't remember which) outside Euston Station.

I've held a grudge against Blackpool ever since... until I saw Holloway's wonderful team in the play-offs this year - and now I'm finally over 1972.

Holloway or Mourinho, who do real fans (who truly love the game) think is the man?

No contest I'd guess. :cool:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
been twice - the 3-1 defeat on Easter Saturday a few years back (cannot remember much of the game mind) and the 0-0 when Flinders kept us in the game

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I went to see albion play in Blackpool in the early/mid 90s.

I remember Robert Codner scoring what I remember to be a classy long range volley in the last few minutes.

Not sure if we won or not but the goal sticks in my mind.

Can anyone decipher which game I am talking about??

This could have been the 92/93 game that ended 2-2 Codner scored in that one,in front of 4,618.We were saving ourselves for our next match.

Have to admit I've only been to Blackpool to see the plastic lights and to take les enfants to the amusement park.Found it a dour little town two streets deep from the front,and the football stadium looked desperate in those long gone days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First trip there was 1987/8. We were on a good run and in with a shout of promotion, but a win was essential. Garry Nelson put us one up, and it looked as if we had three points in the bag. Blackpool equalised with about two minutes to go, and other results were going against us.

From the kick off John 'Football Genius' Crumplin, who was still seen as a joke player in those days, picked up the ball on the right, weaved his way inside and unleashed a 30 yard piledriver that flew into the back of the net. It took a second or two for the goal to register with the Albion away crew, as were expecting it to be in row Z. Garry Nelson then added a third and we came away with three excellent points, and were promoted that season on the last day at home to Bradford City.
I think Blackpool were the only team to beat us at home that season, weren't they. They beat us at tGG, 3-1, so that 3-1 was tremendous revenge. :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It was in the dark days.
Obviously all the Blackpool stuff has reminded me of our trip, only now, amazing memory man that I am, I can't remember exactly why we went.

Was it our last game, pre sale of Beeney?

Yes it was - I went because of that, and saw Barry Llyod outside the ground looking very worried. We were about 30mins from a winding up order on the following Monday with no sign of any cash. And then Beeney "saved" us with his finest during his tenure. Rubbish game, no one really cared about the result on the Saturday. It was all about Monday in the high court. Must have been about 1993; side with Andy Kennedy in etc

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
Been twice, last time, was when we lost 3-1 and I missed our goal, looking at a lovely wpc, who was that p1sshead from spurs we signed? Hastings lad, got injured and retired. John summin. He sored the goal I think

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Been twice, last time, was when we lost 3-1 and I missed our goal, looking at a lovely wpc, who was that p1sshead from spurs we signed? Hastings lad, got injured and retired. John summin. He sored the goal I think

Piercy? ???

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings

Piercy retired with Crohns disease if I remember correctly. The ulceration of the stomach left him suffering fatigue and unable to train/play at a professional standard.

Not sure where you get the p!sshead bit from (obviously I stand corrected if he was).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here