Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember Hereford? They CERTAINLY remember us...

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
A sub text to this is they ALSO hate Wrexham (there is more animosity to Wrexham and the Welsh than there is in Shrewsbury) When Wrexham played them a few weeks ago there was some serious aggro after the match.

Back to the Hereford website: have a look at other threads ... WE are also their fans favourites for relegation! Indeed one of their fans listed Brighton, Derby and Leicester as his pick for relegation from the Championship!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Those sad, sad bastards. I guess watching your team getting humped by the likes of Welling United and Stalybridge Celtic would probably make you a little warped. Same as if you were locked up in solitary confinement for 10 years, you probably wouldn't come out in a cheery mood.

Hereford fans have wallowed in self-pity and bitterness ever since they returned to the non-league obscurity they came from. I'd say that their obsession with us is damaging to their own team. Isn't "closure" an important part of the healing process? Any counsellor will tell you that. If you can't put a hurtful experience behind you, you'll never recover.

Thay have NEVER been able to grasp the concept that their team got relegated that season by failing to win a sufficient amount of games. They were relegated because they failed to beat a team that had only won ONE away game all season. Because they failed to beat Torquay United at home. Football's a pretty simple game, you are relegated over the course of 46 games during a season. Most people understand this, Hereford supporters obviously don't.

I'm very interested with their claims that it was the "media" that kept us up that season. And there was me thinking it was the goals of Ian Baird and Craig Maskell and the management of Steve Gritt. I can't recall any journalists scoring winning goals against Wigan, Cardiff and Swansea that season. I don't think Paul Hayward scored the equaliser at Edgar Street.

These media claims that form the main part of Hereford fans obsession with us is very interesting. Let's go back to season 1971/1972 shall we? Barrow AFC were having a poor season in Division 4, they had only been relegated from Division 3 two years previously. They eventually finished 22nd out of 24 and had to apply for re-election.

Meanwhile Hereford United had captured the publics imagination with an incredible win over Newcastle United. The images provided by the BBC along with John Motsons commentary are still shown every year. The press couldn't get enough of Hereford United and reporters and TV cameras were all over the town before they played West Ham. They lost that game but people all around the country were aware of Hereford United after that television footage. They failed to win the Southern League that season (runners-up to Chelmsford) but they applied for league membership.

When the vote came, the other chairmen remembered that television footage. OK, Hereford hadn't been very succesful in the Southern League but everyone knew about Ronnie Radford due to that media coverage. Who knew about Barrow? They had only been members of the League since 1921 but they hadn't been on TV. After a second vote Barrow were kicked out into non-league oblivion, never to return. They have never forgotten the way the media helped to get Hereford United into the league. It appears Hereford United supporters have.

Still they are currently 5th in the Conference whilst we are 17th in the Championship. We've moved on since that day in 1997. Hereford United never have.
Post of the Month surely! Barrow have more reason to be bitter than Hereford and they were booted out because of their relative geographical isolation.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
mona said:
Post of the Month surely! Barrow have more reason to be bitter than Hereford and they were booted out because of their relative geographical isolation.

The whole being elected to a division thing is the reason behind Spurs hatred of Arsenal.

Arsenal finished 6th in Division 2 in the last season prior to being elected to Division 1.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Ex Shelton Seagull said:

These media claims that form the main part of Hereford fans obsession with us is very interesting. Let's go back to season 1971/1972 shall we? Barrow AFC were having a poor season in Division 4, they had only been relegated from Division 3 two years previously. They eventually finished 22nd out of 24 and had to apply for re-election.

Meanwhile Hereford United had captured the publics imagination with an incredible win over Newcastle United. The images provided by the BBC along with John Motsons commentary are still shown every year. The press couldn't get enough of Hereford United and reporters and TV cameras were all over the town before they played West Ham. They lost that game but people all around the country were aware of Hereford United after that television footage. They failed to win the Southern League that season (runners-up to Chelmsford) but they applied for league membership.

When the vote came, the other chairmen remembered that television footage. OK, Hereford hadn't been very succesful in the Southern League but everyone knew about Ronnie Radford due to that media coverage. Who knew about Barrow? They had only been members of the League since 1921 but they hadn't been on TV. After a second vote Barrow were kicked out into non-league oblivion, never to return. They have never forgotten the way the media helped to get Hereford United into the league. It appears Hereford United supporters have.

Quality ESS! Bet they're not aware of that themselves!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hereford is only good for the cider.

Otherwise it is like a larger version of Falmer village.

PS: And Dixie McNeil handballed the Hereford goal in 1974.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Adams score 0 said:
Great weekend away in Cheltenham.
Cried my eyes out at the end,then pulled myself together for a run around in the cattle market.

Happy days
And to think we even gave them a headstart courtesy of Kezza's og. Christ, we may as well have bent over and pulled our shorts down :ohmy:

Fact is, they couldn't score.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Chatting to a couple of guys at Wrexham a few weeks ago and we reckon there is a Football League relegation ley line that runs along the west of the country ... get a map and join up these places !

Newport County
Hereford United
Shrewsbury Town (back I know, but for how long?)
Chester City
Southport
Barrow
Workington Town

:eek: :eek:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
On the Left Wing said:
Chatting to a couple of guys at Wrexham a few weeks ago and we reckon there is a Football League relegation ley line that runs along the west of the country ... get a map and join up these places !

Newport County
Hereford United
Chester City
Southport
Barrow
Workington Town

Are Carlisle United on that line as well? I haven't got a map handy.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
On the Left Wing said:

Newport County
Hereford United
Chester City
Southport
Barrow
Workington Town

and Exeter?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bless 'em. If they ever get promoted it'll be only a couple of years before they've forgotten all about us. In reality we are significant to them.

It's a bit like the fact that I don't give a toss about Orient any more despite the history.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
mona said:
and Exeter?

Exeter! Feck ... this is like the Twilight Zone!

Carlisle also nearly fits the line .... that's pretty much 80% of established league clubs who are out of the league!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What about Accrington Stanley?

Bradford Park Avenue had a surprise win over Southport at the weekend!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Excellent post, Ex-SS.

Blaming "the media" is such bollocks, as if it's one single entity. And as if, as you say, this united front of hacks could have made a jot of difference on the pitch.

Still. If someone - even accidentally - damages something that you're close to, it's hard not to be sore. Although, with sport, isn't that sort-of the whole point?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
attila said:
You lost at home to my wife's home town Northwich Vics last night, and they only had 2 of their first team playing!

Compared to Hereford, who had none of their first teamers in their starting line-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here