Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religion or Law

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
What comes first in this country?

I thought about this during a discussion at work with an arab collegue, he was saying how he can have 4 wives, but over in England is this not classed as biggamy, what would apply first, Religion or Law?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dennis Law is based on PAGANISM

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Parts of the Christian system of morality have been codified (loosely) into English law. Example: it's not actually punishable by law to commit adultery. Or indeed, to covet your neighbour's ass.

Dandyman

In London village.
tommy boy said:
our laws are based on the 10 commandments aren't they?

Not really, adultry is not illegal and I can worship any god I like.

I don't doubt that some people might say that the Judeo-Christian ethic is at the heart of our law but IMO it is more about evolving and competing class interests.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that is a very good question.

the law obviously, however as in certain religious requirements, the law is adapted.

An example of religion losing was Shiks not wearing motor cycle helmets, the law was not changed and they have to, however the Sunday Trading laws are religious based ( in fact Christian religion based)

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Dies Irae said:
that is a very good question.

the law obviously, however as in certain religious requirements, the law is adapted.

An example of religion losing was Shiks not wearing motor cycle helmets, the law was not changed and they have to, however the Sunday Trading laws are religious based ( in fact Christian religion based)

do you remember Del boy's Sikh crash helmets :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
magoo said:
do you remember Del boy's Sikh crash helmets :lolol:

that was one of the funniest episodes

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
But how can my colleogue say he can have 4 wives?

Surely he would get sent to prison

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Dies Irae said:
the Sunday Trading laws are religious based ( in fact Christian religion based)

In what way? The only thing I can think of relating to Christianity and Sunday trading is prohibiting shops from opening on Easter Sunday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Selling alcohol before a certain time? wasnt this something the the CofE lobbied for when the Sunday Trading laws were being drafted?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The God-botherers always stick their tuppence in when they talk about Sunday trading but controversy about reform is really about how much to allow employers to exploit already-poorly paid workers, IMHO.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Historically they are intertwined - given that the religious beliefs of the Kings and Queens usually begat laws...

But in modern day laws are becoming based more on current social justice aren't they?

But I believe that laws are more important - it would be a nightmare if religion was higher, given all the various belief systems which now exist I think...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
lander14 said:
But how can my colleogue say he can have 4 wives?

Surely he would get sent to prison
Wht silly fucker would want 4 wives. Surely ones more than any man can handle. Do this, do that, why aint you done that, this needs doing, that needs doing X 4!!! No thanks.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Mr Burns said:
Wht silly fucker would want 4 wives. Surely ones more than any man can handle. Do this, do that, why aint you done that, this needs doing, that needs doing X 4!!! No thanks.

he he - surely though you could change bedrooms whenever one says "not tonight I've got a headache" "ok dear" and pop off to the next wife? :lol:

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Mr Burns said:

Funny enough we said that to him, and he replied, " we send them to there fathers"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here