Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reliability of the Internet

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For this quiz I'm doing for Mrs G (see pop music thread), I'm posting a question about capital cities. I wanted to check when the capital of Pakistan switched from Karachi to Islamabad. A quick search of the web brought up several pages and from that I found that in Islamabad became the capital in ...

... 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971 and 1972

I'm sure that if I looked on a few more pages the gaps would be filled in

And we wonder why kids using the web get things wrong.

Wasn't the capital Lahore? Whichever it was, I thought it changed far more recently than 1972.
Another country you could use is the one which changed its capital to Sucre (either Paraguay or Bolivia). Or if yo wanted a trick question, try Holland; apparently, their capital is not the seat of parliament!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Wasn't the capital Lahore? Whichever it was, I thought it changed far more recently than 1972.
Another country you could use is the one which changed its capital to Sucre (either Paraguay or Bolivia). Or if yo wanted a trick question, try Holland; apparently, their capital is not the seat of parliament!

Presumably because Holland isn't a country?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

No, the previous capital was Karachi but I've given up trying to find the answer to it.

I've already sorted out the question anyway. But it's just a reminder of how unreliable the whole web is - yet kids are told to use it for homework.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Presumably because Holland isn't a country?

while true, thats semantics: Holland is commonly used to mean the Netherlands, like England is often used to mean UK.

the Dutch government sits in the Hague.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
while true, thats semantics: Holland is commonly used to mean the Netherlands, like England is often used to mean UK.

the Dutch government sits in the Hague.

or Den Haag

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
For this quiz I'm doing for Mrs G (see pop music thread), I'm posting a question about capital cities. I wanted to check when the capital of Pakistan switched from Karachi to Islamabad. A quick search of the web brought up several pages and from that I found that in Islamabad became the capital in ...

... 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971 and 1972

I'm sure that if I looked on a few more pages the gaps would be filled in

And we wonder why kids using the web get things wrong.

A trip to the library would be one way in finding out accurate information :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just checked in my copy of Oxford Dictionary Of The World and it says Islamabad became the capital in 1967.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here