Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Registered and logged in to view?

Should we try 'registered and logged in' to view NSC?

• Yes - give it a go.

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No - free access for all.

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Silent Bob said:
If it saves bandwitdh I'm all for it.

People are more likely to register as well, and then they'll be more likely to post :)

I agree here. Although I couldn't care less about so called "lurkers" it would be worth a go to see if we get less of those black screen messages. Also, as you've been trying to drum up income with the sponsored links etc. it might bring your bandwidth costs down a bit. It would be worth trying for a couple of weeks or a month and then comparing your usage figures.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I voted Yes quite selfishly, before i thought about it for two seconds and realised that i never bother with forums/boards that require registration. So on second thoughts it would probaly make NSC a bit of a closed shop.

Do lurkers really cuase that much traffic? id have thought the main bandwidth bandits where posting users - you read a thread, hit reply then after submitting see the updated page, so youve been served up the data 3 times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Despite the current vote, I think the case presented against changing things is quite compelling.

I've never wanted NSC to become a closed shop.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Bozza said:
Despite the current vote, I think the case presented against changing things is quite compelling.

I've never wanted NSC to become a closed shop.

You just can't be bothered to change your signature.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
At the end of the day Bozza its up to you, but dont be too put off by resistance to your original idea. I think if you really want to read a board 2 seconds to register is no big sacrifice.

Also the majority would have been against changing the old format NSC used to run under into this one but that was one of the best thing to happen to the board.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
Absolutely NOT !!!

Apart from the fact that many lurkers eventually become members, it is really one of the most frustrating of internet experiences to discover other football message boards that apply this rule.

Football is a community of fans, first and foremost. Let's keep it that way and not turn it into two communities - those who are welcome and those who are not.

I feel VERY strongly about this.
#
well
LB you have suprised me
i agree 100%
with you
good post

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bozza said:
Having, like most of you I'm sure, spent some time getting the damned "We're busy, piss off for a bit and try again" message this lunchtime, I wonder if we should go 'registered and logged in' to view NSC to see if it improves things.
I risk sounding like a broken record, but why not charge a tenner a year and give those users a preference over other normal users. i.e. busy periods - they get priority (and use of search facility, ability to upload larger files etc).

There is always heavy traffic on here at lunchtime these days, and you do need ways of raising money...

Lord Bracknell said:
What about the people who can read NSC at work, but cannot register or log in from work, because that is contrary to their employer's policies on internet use?

That was certainly the case at my former employer. I was a day-time lurker and an evening registered user.

What is now proposed would have prevented me reading stuff except in the evenings and at the weekends.

I guess we'll have to wait until this evening before this group of people can vote or join the discussion.
Seems a bit daft to quote myself, but ...

I've had an e-mail from Smiley Miley who has this to say:-

"spot on re NSC - I am one of those daytime lurkers for work reasons. Glad someone is upholding our rights!!"

... and he doesn't even have internet access at home.

Lord Bracknell said:
Absolutely NOT !!!

Apart from the fact that many lurkers eventually become members, it is really one of the most frustrating of internet experiences to discover other football message boards that apply this rule.

Football is a community of fans, first and foremost. Let's keep it that way and not turn it into two communities - those who are welcome and those who are not.

I agree.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I spent a little while as a lurker, if I hadn't been able to access the site without registering I probably wouldn't have bothered to start posting, so I think it's best left the way it is to encourage new people to join and post. I think the fact that you can view the site without registering has been helpful in encouraging fans of other clubs to join the site as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here