Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reginald d hunter joke...is this racist

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm with Jimmy Carr, comedians shouldn't be afraid to punch in any direction, even down. By avoiding making jokes about certain parts of the population because you think they need some sort of protection you are implying that they are somehow less than you, they are not.

We need to be challenged in our opinions and how we think about ourselves and other people, we need to be asking the question "should I be laughing at this?" If the joke isn't made, the question is not asked, and opinions don't change.
people are far too easily offended on other peoples behalf these days

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I often wonder where these people are. Like most of the culture wars guff we are encouraged to buy into, I hear far far far more from people telling me about these snowflakes/wokies etc than I do the actual people.
of course you do , despite at least 25 yrs access to the internet ......cool...:thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And this is why a distinction needs to be made between Jews and Israeli's. Being opposed to the actions of the Israeli government is NOT an anti-Semitic position. By the rules of matrilineality, I am Jewish, however, I am not a Zionist and not Israeli. This makes the sentiment that anyone seeking out against the actions of the Israelis is an antisemite rather ridiculous.
I fully appreciate, endorse and uphold the notion that anti-Israeli sentiment does not equate to anti-semitism!!!
Which is why I felt the need to acknowledge the mistake.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bernard Manning told jokes about all kinds of minority races. Perhaps even Jews. Hunter is just carrying on with Manning's principles.
Bernard Manning is normally acknowledged as a malicious racist bar steward. I’m not aware of Reginald D Hunter having such a reputation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
of course you do , despite at least 25 yrs access to the internet ......cool...:thumbsup:
Yep, I hear about them waaaay more than I hear from them.

Every facebook post with comment after comment about the woke/offended etc etc. and not a single comment from anyone actually doing any complaining.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are a few people out there that are offended by lots of this stuff. but those that are do not warrant anywhere near the response they get from the culture warriors.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm with Jimmy Carr, comedians shouldn't be afraid to punch in any direction, even down. By avoiding making jokes about certain parts of the population because you think they need some sort of protection you are implying that they are somehow less than you, they are not.

We need to be challenged in our opinions and how we think about ourselves and other people, we need to be asking the question "should I be laughing at this?" If the joke isn't made, the question is not asked, and opinions don't change.
Are you seeking to excuse racism in general and anti- semitism in particular?

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It is the Jewish Government on whose behalf all this is being done, surely, and they are not being particularly open to the notion of a ceasefire. That is probably an enormous statement.
if I were to say the Jewish People, that would quite rightly be seen as anti-Semitic. it is the Jewish military under the orders of the government, and I believe plenty of Jewish people both inside and outside Israel are, to varying degrees, not happy with it.
40,000 palestinians dead and counting.
You are wrong on so many levels. 😢
40k, they can’t tell us how many hostages are left alive but accurate death toll haha

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

What about Carr's gag: "It's not the paedophile's fault, it's the kid's fault for being so damn sexy"

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Personally I find it tres amusant, but it will offend the sensibilities of 99.99% of NSCers.
I bet it won't.

Out of interest do you find the joke funny or the fact that you perceive that others will be offended by it?

I mean, telling jokes that others will find offensive is kind of Jimmy Carr's thing. His whole act is based on pushing those boundaries. He also has excellent delivery and timing which sets him apart from others (IMHO).

Personally I findthis joke is one of his weaker ones and without the shock value it is pretty average.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Personally I find it tres amusant, but it will offend the sensibilities of 99.99% of NSCers.

Just not very funny. Not the subject matter. Just a lazy joke.
Excellent example in two consecutive posts that people find different things funny.

They both clearly understand the context the joke was made in, and that it is about victim blaming. They have their own opinions about whether the joke is funny or not.

Good.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I bet it won't.

Out of interest do you find the joke funny or the fact that you perceive that others will be offended by it?

I mean, telling jokes that others will find offensive is kind of Jimmy Carr's thing. His whole act is based on pushing those boundaries. He also has excellent delivery and timing which sets him apart from others (IMHO).

Personally I findthis joke is one of his weaker ones and without the shock value it is pretty average.
Why would I be amused by others being offended by it, or even care?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There’s a few issues at play. There’s the couple not liking the joke, heckling and then leaving. Then there is the fine line between actual bullying and crowd interaction. He pretty much admitted he went too far and created a mob rule situation, and it is being reflected in his having bookings cancelled.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why would I be amused by others being offended by it, or even care?

So you take Jimmy Carr at face value? I always found that one of the draws of Jimmy is he walks the line between saying the unsayable and having brilliant comedic craft (you can also add in this that he is usually using himself as the punchline so doesn't tend to have that punch down tone).

As I said, for me, without the offensive side that joke is pretty average.

If you don't care about the joke being offensive, why did you post it in the middle of this conversation?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So you take Jimmy Carr at face value? I always found that one of the draws of Jimmy is he walks the line between saying the unsayable and having brilliant comedic craft (you can also add in this that he is usually using himself as the punchline so doesn't tend to have that punch down tone).

As I said, for me, without the offensive side that joke is pretty average.

If you don't care about the joke being offensive, why did you post it in the middle of this conversation?
I really don't care as much as you do, have no interest in dissecting the minutiae of it, forget I ever posted! Please don't quote me any further, cheers!

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here