Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reggie Perrin/Darwin..Missing for 5 years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Reggie Perrin - probably the finest sitcom in British television history ever! How could you possibly disagree? Super!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As is reported but I belive different.

My son worked for BA and then bough ta bar in Teneriffe and I was visiting the weekend he disappeared. We had too much to drink and missed flight home but as it was a BA ticket they got me booked on a charter leaving at 4.00am next morning . We duly arrived at the airport at 2.00am as directed and as we drove round it a Brazilian Cargo plane( Varta or similar) was being loaded with boxex by fork lift under the lights of the forklift. My son said that was strange and took the number of the plane. Later that day he phoned his mate at BA to find out what or who was on the plane and despite all the checks possible, according to the records, that plane did not leave Brazil it was parked up for 3 days in the sheds at Brazil airport and we saw it on the Sunday that Maxwell disappearred at Teneriffe Airport.

The trouble with that theory is that Captain Bob disappeared on Tuesday 5 November. He'd had have to had hidden himself for nearly a week for that to be a credible theory - and he was a hard man to hide.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I may be wrong, but anyone following Robert Maxwell needs to go to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, don't they?

You're forgetting that shit usually floats. He was on the surface when the Spanish coast guard found his body.

Eyewitnesses said it was 'Bob'ing...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
No. It was definitely Tuesday

Indeed. I distinctly remember Ian Hislop discussing the "tub of lard"s demise with glee on that Friday's Have I Got New For You - which is presumably recorded on a Thursday-ish?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even if that was so and I cannot honestly remember, what was to stop him flying out to Brazil on Monday and not even going on the boat, as he was devious, or on the Tuesday that he went missing, and what my son saw was his belongings and the contents of his house in Teneriffe, if he had one, being sent on to him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even if that was so and I cannot honestly remember, what was to stop him flying out to Brazil on Monday and not even going on the boat, as he was devious, or on the Tuesday that he went missing, and what my son saw was his belongings and the contents of his house in Teneriffe, if he had one, being sent on to him.

Because, as the story in the link I posted made clear, he was seen alive on the yacht on 5 November. I'm not sure how he could have been spirited off a yacht in the middle of the ocean without anyone seeing him.

I need no-one to tell me how devious Maxwell was. As an NUJ official, I spent a good deal of my life in the late 80s monitoring his activities, picketing his building or his house and generally keeping abreast of what the tricky bastard was up to. Tuesday 5 November is a day that's seared into my memory - I remember having many, many drinks to celebrate that evening - and I'm not normally one to celebrate anyone's death.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wish my son still had the details of that plane and perhaps you could have done your digging into what it was doing in Teneriffe, but then again according to the official records it was in a shed in Brazil but we KNOW it wasn't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe his passport had expired?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Ooops:

Canoeist photo genuine, says wife

John Darwin
The wreckage of John Darwin's canoe was found in March 2002

Darwin under arrest
The wife of a canoeist missing for five years has admitted to newspapers a photo of her and her husband taken last year in Panama is genuine.

John Darwin's wife, Anne, reportedly described her life as a nightmare and said: "None of this seems real."

Mr Darwin, 57, was presumed dead after going missing off Hartlepool in 2002, but reappeared in London on Saturday.

He was arrested by Cleveland Police on suspicion of fraud after he met up with his sons and is due to be questioned.

The Daily Mirror newspaper published a photo which apparently showed the Darwins pictured in an apartment in Panama last year.

My sons will never forgive me
Anne Darwin

His wife Anne, 55, told the paper: "Yes, that's him. My sons will never forgive me.

"They knew nothing. They thought John was dead. Now they are going to hate me."

Asked if she had believed her husband had died when he disappeared in 2002, she said: "Yes, I did. And that was the nightmare I lived through."

Mr Darwin has now been taken to a police station on Teesside for questioning.

Cleveland Police said the photo of the pair would be examined as part of their investigation into the case.

Mr Darwin's canoe was found in pieces the day after his disappearance, leading to the assumption he had drowned.

But he walked into a police station in London on Saturday and told officers: "I think I am a missing person."

Daily Mirror front page
There has been no independent verification of the Mirror's photo

He claimed he could remember nothing since 2000.

Mrs Darwin sold the family home in Seaton Carew, near Hartlepool and moved to Panama six weeks ago.

The BBC's correspondent in Panama, Andy Gallagher, said the apartment she bought was currently empty and she was believed to be staying in a nearby hotel.

He said reporters from Panama news stations were camped outside the small flat, as the revelations about the Darwins had sparked worldwide interest and a frantic search for Mrs Darwin.

Mr Darwin was reunited with his two sons and arrested by police at the home of one of them in Hampshire late on Tuesday, before being driven to the North East.

Certainly three months ago we did not know that John Darwin was alive, and we did not know that until he walked into the police station on Saturday morning
Det Supt Tony Hutchinson

He covered his head with a newspaper as he arrived at the police station, flanked by two officers just before 2330 GMT on Wednesday night.

He was due to undergo a medical examination before being questioned later.

Police revealed earlier in the day that new information had caused them to reopen the case in September.

The detective leading the case also said police may question Mrs Darwin.

Det Supt Tony Hutchinson revealed the case had been reopened earlier in the year at a news conference on Wednesday.

He said: "There was some information which was reported to us three months ago to suggest that perhaps there was something suspicious with regards to his disappearance, and as a result of that information we then began to conduct some inquiries on a financial basis.

"Certainly three months ago we did not know that John Darwin was alive, and we did not know that until he walked into the police station on Saturday morning."

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
All these revelations about Maxwell hiding in a plane in Tenerife for a week or whatever...everyone knows that Mossad did him...or did I dream that?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The mystery of missing canoeist John Darwin could well have been cracked by a single mother using the internet.

While the world's media and experienced detectives tried to unravel Mr Darwin's missing five years, the unnamed mother put the words John, Anne and Panama into Google and up popped a picture that seems to show the "dead" man with his wife Anne in Panama dated from July last year.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The mystery of missing canoeist John Darwin could well have been cracked by a single mother using the internet.

While the world's media and experienced detectives tried to unravel Mr Darwin's missing five years, the unnamed mother put the words John, Anne and Panama into Google and up popped a picture that seems to show the "dead" man with his wife Anne in Panama dated from July last year.

Why is that not a surprise, altough that said, it is delightful

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All these revelations about Maxwell hiding in a plane in Tenerife for a week or whatever...everyone knows that Mossad did him...or did I dream that?

I wouldnt have thought Mossad would have killed him ...after all he is buried at the most sacred place in Jerusalem and that would not have been accorded to someone the Secret Service would have bumped off...there again watching Spooks, anything is possible

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I put "John, Anne and Panama" into google images and got this:
Ancon-Bar-Panama-City.jpg

Looks like Anne has been busy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here