refs this season

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
cant blame the ref yesterday he got decisions spot on

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I don't believe that to be true, on the whole. I think fans, managers etc. make the ref the centre of attention by questioning his every decision, drawing focus to him. If everyone accepted the refs' decisions and got on with the game, they'd stop noticing him so much.

I also find this complaint a bit... I'm not sure hypocritical is the right word, but something like that... how we complain about ref's making themselves the cetre of attention, then complain that they won't come out to answer questions after games.

Not answering questions after the game adds to the mystique surrounding the post."I am the centre of attraction,and I have no intention of answering difficult yet facile questions about my master class performance."

Of course,the questions would often be hard and unanswerable,and lead to more controversy.

Which is why refs should facilitate rather than perform,which is where the problems reside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And then we'd have the criticism that they are making dodgy/controversial decisions just to get a better chance of being on tv explaining his decisions.

If the ref does his job, which 99.9999% of the time they do, their explanation is the law book, which anyone can check for themselves. The problem is we don't because we learned the rules when we were a kid and they "haven't changed too much, really... have they?"

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The trouble is too many laws are open to interpretation & the inconsistencies this causes from game to game & sometimes within a game just adds to the fact that all refs ,are indeed , wankers.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Blaming refs is usually an easy refuge for fans who either don't know the rules or continue to view games as if they're kids...so 'we' never foul but 'they' always do etc. There are a few near us at Withdean who abuse the linesman every game for every decision (really they do every time)! They are either letting off steam after a crap week at home and/or work or else they are cretins.

But there is a problem with the FA fast-tracking younger refs. Neither Steve Cook (home v Stockport) or Gavin Ward (home v wycombe) or Oli Langford (Yeovil away) commanded respect from the players. And most players do know when a ref is broadly having a good game. All of those three refs are probably still in their 20s-and it's just too soon for them I think.

If as we hear, some players will 'take the piss' out of managers and coaches and need boundaries and discipline, then imagine how they will approach referees. You've got to ref for many years at park level before you are let near an FL ground in my opinion.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
Blaming refs is usually an easy refuge for fans who either don't know the rules or continue to view games as if they're kids...so 'we' never foul but 'they' always do etc. There are a few near us at Withdean who abuse the linesman every game for every decision (really they do every time)! They are either letting off steam after a crap week at home and/or work or else they are cretins.

But there is a problem with the FA fast-tracking younger refs. Neither Steve Cook (home v Stockport) or Gavin Ward (home v wycombe) or Oli Langford (Yeovil away) commanded respect from the players. And most players do know when a ref is broadly having a good game. All of those three refs are probably still in their 20s-and it's just too soon for them I think.

If as we hear, some players will 'take the piss' out of managers and coaches and need boundaries and discipline, then imagine how they will approach referees. You've got to ref for many years at park level before you are let near an FL ground in my opinion.

Agree with a lot of that. especially Refs having to do a lot of sat/sunday league games and work their way up.

IMO the best refs are the ones you dont even notice are on the pitch, they let the game flow, and give the obvious fouls when they occur. but this is becoming less common because the league is cracking down on bad tackles/behaviour/conduct etc, and every team seems to have dealt with the change, except Brighton.

We can blame the ref for one game if he has a shocker, but to blame 6 or more refs for our position in the league is crazy :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here