Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
blind_ref.gif

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think I must be the only one that thought the ref had a good game!
To me it was a clear push by Virgo for the first pen and Hoyte kicked out and deserved red. Thought he got their sending off and our two pens right as well to be honest.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Only in the games we don't win. We've had good refs in those ones...

have we bollox , this season has been one shite official after another,i hope wycombe appeal thier guys red card to show just how inept this guy was,the lino was even worse his arm must have been attatched with string to a wycombe fan (if there was 1 in the big stand.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The standard of refereeing has definitely deteriorated this season and is on a year by year decline.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We used to have the best referees and goalkeepers in the world in England.....what's gone wrong?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think I must be the only one that thought the ref had a good game!
To me it was a clear push by Virgo for the first pen and Hoyte kicked out and deserved red. Thought he got their sending off and our two pens right as well to be honest.

I'm afraid I think you may be...

Think you are probably right on the red card but I really didn't think it was a pen. Overall, he gave them some pretty rough decisions as well so think the poor decisions evened themselves out - were still a hell of a lot them though

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Only in the games we don't win. We've had good refs in those ones...

have we bollox , this season has been one shite official after another,i hope wycombe appeal thier guys red card to show just how inept this guy was,the lino was even worse his arm must have been attatched with string to a wycombe fan (if there was 1 in the big stand.

I meant to say we've had good refs in the games we won.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We used to have the best referees and goalkeepers in the world in England.....what's gone wrong?

ok im not saying that there are not any good refs in this country or any other but ,hand on heart i cant remember this season not wanting to do the refs tyres after the game,last season i cant remember any game that stood out that i wanted to do this,yet this season im struggling to remember a game i didnt want do this. The only explanation is in the close season all league 1 refs were told to just go out and have a laugh it dosent matter its just league 1, god help the poor fuckers in league 2.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
When your team gets 7 red cards by this stage in the season then its easy to blame the refs. having said that some of the refs we have had have been shocking. The ref at hartlepool had a decent game though i felt. todays ref was poor IMO.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Red cards so far:

-Kuipers: fair enough
-Hawkins: fair enough
-El Abd: fair enough
-Hoyte: fair enough
-Elphick: fair enough
-Murray: fair enough

can't even remember all the others but as far as I can see, none of them were that
contentious. Funny how the worse you play, the worse the referees get, isn't it?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Red cards so far:

-Kuipers: fair enough
-Hawkins: fair enough
-El Abd: fair enough
-Hoyte: fair enough
-Elphick: fair enough
-Murray: fair enough

can't even remember all the others but as far as I can see, none of them were that
contentious. Funny how the worse you play, the worse the referees get, isn't it?

The other one was Virgo which again was deserved.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The standard of referee has been declining rapidly for the last 3 - 4 seasons. Paul Ince has done an article in todays NOTW which gets it pretty much spot on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hasn't the considered opinion, after reviewing the footage, been that every sending off this season been that it was probably a fair decision?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I honestly don't believe refereeing is that much worse than it used to be, it's just an attitude has developed where we challenge the ref's decision on intinct, and do so using outdated interpretations of the laws. Yes, there are extreme examples, I don't deny that, but they are not the norm.

If the ref gives 10 fouls, the players fans and analysts will say he got 8 of them wrong because the player "got the ball". A look at the modern laws of the game shows it has nothing to do with getting the ball, and in fact according to the current rules he got all ten right.

But no one looks at the current laws. We all assume the only laws that change since we learned them are the offside laws and the pass back law, so walk away from the game believing the ref got most of his decisions wrong, when he didn't.

I think the other thing to consider is that referees are judged for applying the laws as the FA. UEFA, and FIFA instruct them to, but the refs get the blame for doing what thy are instructed and paid to do.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
ALL sendings off of Albion players are totally wrong.

Take the Stockport game.Hawkins would never have been sent off if the ref hadn't been a total dork with his yellow cards to Elphick,because Hawkins would never have got on the pitch in the first place.

As for Anyinsah at Yeovil last season........well,let's not go there.

I complained to the league after the Stockport game,having spent a lot of money to get to the game,the ticket,the refreshments,the programme,only to have the game reduced to a shambles by a bloke who should have stuck with retraining his guide dog.

Too many refs want to be THE attraction rather than the in the background facilitator,which is what the job should be.And that's why the standard of reffing is going downhill.That,plus I'm getting older.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too many refs want to be THE attraction rather than the in the background facilitator,which is what the job should be.

I don't believe that to be true, on the whole. I think fans, managers etc. make the ref the centre of attention by questioning his every decision, drawing focus to him. If everyone accepted the refs' decisions and got on with the game, they'd stop noticing him so much.

I also find this complaint a bit... I'm not sure hypocritical is the right word, but something like that... how we complain about ref's making themselves the cetre of attention, then complain that they won't come out to answer questions after games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here