Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

refreshment income from spurs game(kiosks)

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly 100k to go with the crowd of exactly 17k

No you don't you pay TAX on your taxable PROFIT ie Turnover less costs less allowances

So much miss information here!

Turnover, income, takings, what's rung thru the till = THE SAME THING!

Profit = THE SAME THING minus The costs to the business: Raw materials (food?) Staff, premises hire, lights, wather etc.

There are 3 types of tax to pay:-

There is corporation tax. This is charged as a percentage of the 'PROFITS'
There is VAT: The turnover figure will include 20% VAT which has to be paid, regardless of any profit, minus any VAT paid.
Alcohol Duty: The rates vary for beers, wine and spirits, but like VAT this is also paid, regardless of any profit made.

Your statement suggested that tax is only paid on taxable profit. This is not true. It's a shame but there are more taxes than plain old corporation tax!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is everybody getting hot under the collar as to whether this is termed as turnover or income both of which they would be paying Input VAT on, which in this case is approx £16,666 leaving a balance of £83,333 out of which comes the operating expenses which would probably be in the region £30,000 leavinga gross profit of some £53,000 or thereabouts, which is still a very healthy situation to be in.

Corporation Tax would not be paid until the end of the trading year after every expenses has been paid and the Alcohol Duty is taken at source by the suppliers socan be ignored. For the general appraisal of the trading situation of the kiosks all bar the cost of goods, staff wages, heat and light etc can be ignored until the actual accounts are compiled and submitted.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I reckon £100,000 = 15,385 'pie and a pints' at £6.50 each.
50p (roughly) is VAT on the pint. 70p (roughly) on the pie leaves £5.40 after tax.
So £83000 after VAT.
Take off £40,000 for the cost of buying the stuff leaves £43,000 profit before tax.
Take off 26% corporation tax you get £31,820.

So I reckon if the food and drink receipts were £100k, Brighton get about £30k cash.

Please be aware that all these figures are pretty much made up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Profit = THE SAME THING minus The costs to the business: Raw materials (food?) Staff, premises hire, lights, wather etc.

There are 3 types of tax to pay:-

There is corporation tax. This is charged as a percentage of the 'PROFITS'
There is VAT: The turnover figure will include 20% VAT which has to be paid, regardless of any profit, minus any VAT paid.
Alcohol Duty: The rates vary for beers, wine and spirits, but like VAT this is also paid, regardless of any profit made.

Your statement suggested that tax is only paid on taxable profit. This is not true. It's a shame but there are more taxes than plain old corporation tax!

I was taking the more simplistic view of a business, not necessarily BHAFC, which may be a partnership, Company or an individual - two different types of tax but tax on profits all the same.

I ignored VAT as not all businesses are required to pay vat.

Incidentally, BHAFC would not pay Alcohol duty itself, this would have already been paid.

All I was doing was pointng out Income and Turnover was basically the same thing, which is different from profits.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Blimey this is hard work."No you don't"? - er, yes you do pay tax on income. This could also be called profit.

The OP said 'income'. I was simply asking whether they meant profit, or turnover. Income is more associated with profit.

Sorry, but a business doesn't pay tax on its income. It pays tax on what is left of its income after deductable expenses. My business has an in income of several hundred thousand pounds a year but that's not profit and it's not what I pay tax on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right back at ya.
Well I respectfully disagree.

Although these terms aren't identical, and it does vary slightly when talking about individuals and business, basically:
Gross income = revenues - expenses = gross profit
Net income = revenues - expenses - taxes = net profit

Errr.... no they're not. Unless you are a Financial Advisor, that is.
Ah well, be dull if we all agreed.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Why is everybody getting hot under the collar as to whether this is termed as turnover or income both of which they would be paying Input VAT on, which in this case is approx £16,666 leaving a balance of £83,333 out of which comes the operating expenses which would probably be in the region £30,000 leavinga gross profit of some £53,000 or thereabouts, which is still a very healthy situation to be in.

Corporation Tax would not be paid until the end of the trading year after every expenses has been paid and the Alcohol Duty is taken at source by the suppliers socan be ignored. For the general appraisal of the trading situation of the kiosks all bar the cost of goods, staff wages, heat and light etc can be ignored until the actual accounts are compiled and submitted.

Rep added

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Although these terms aren't identical, and it does vary slightly when talking about individuals and business, basically:

i think the confusion here is due to not recognising that individuals have income while businesses have revenue or turnover.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here