Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee was absolutely appalling again today

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thoght first 20 minutes he seemed to let so many rough or late challenges go, then seemed to crack down a bit too much. There was one incident late in the game when Barnes was close behind one of their players who just threw himself to the ground the ref gave a freekick and then shrugged as if there was nothing he could do.

I'd say overall he gave an average performance.

I remember that incident, but frankly, Barnes was a bit thick there. Any contact and he'd go down. Late in the game, chasing it, and you get a little nudge in the back. Down you go, free kick to attack. Not the referee's fault that I don't think.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Thought it was a pen when Painter went down. Could clearly see the defender pulling his shirt & I was a lot further away than ref, who appeared to be looking straight at it.

Lots of poor decisions today. Although no bookings for us :banana:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I thoght first 20 minutes he seemed to let so many rough or late challenges go, then seemed to crack down a bit too much. There was one incident late in the game when Barnes was close behind one of their players who just threw himself to the ground the ref gave a freekick and then shrugged as if there was nothing he could do.

I'd say overall he gave an average performance.

I think that was the Coventry no 2 who was an embarrassment. Threw himself on the floor at least 3 times for no apparent reason and each time the ref fell for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember that incident, but frankly, Barnes was a bit thick there. Any contact and he'd go down. Late in the game, chasing it, and you get a little nudge in the back. Down you go, free kick to attack. Not the referee's fault that I don't think.

I disagree so much. The referee has the obligation to judge whether contact is acceptable, whether it is excessive, reckless or careless. If he sees someone fall over because the opposing players fingers brush his shoulders the ref should be judging it as no foul and allowing play to continue (or in this instance, awarding us a free kick as the coventry player grabbed the ball after throwing himself to the floor. Barnes did not get too close to their player, he barely touched him, certainly not anywhere near enough for it to be deemed a nudge. If referees stopped giving free kicks for that, players would stop doing it.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think that was the Coventry no 2 who was an embarrassment. Threw himself on the floor at least 3 times for no apparent reason and each time the ref fell for it.

While I think the ref was wrong to give it I was more commenting on my amusement that he shrugged, as if giving the decision was out of his control. He's the ref! It's his decision to make.

D

Deleted member 2719

Don't agree with that, I thought he was very good overall. Did nothing controversial, it was never a penalty for the Painter incident, their "handball" toward the end was desperate and got no attention. He made us retake the free-kick for the winning goal too, so I think he had a good game.

What view point were you viewing from cos from mine he was letting it flow for 15mins then he just got super fussy but bottled it on the stone wall pen.

He was poor very poor IMO.(if he had been Alex Ferguson he would have blamed it on the salmon pink shirts they were wearing).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I disagree so much. The referee has the obligation to judge whether contact is acceptable, whether it is excessive, reckless or careless. If he sees someone fall over because the opposing players fingers brush his shoulders the ref should be judging it as no foul and allowing play to continue (or in this instance, awarding us a free kick as the coventry player grabbed the ball after throwing himself to the floor. Barnes did not get too close to their player, he barely touched him, certainly not anywhere near enough for it to be deemed a nudge. If referees stopped giving free kicks for that, players would stop doing it.

Players will never stop doing it. We benefited from that sort of play too, Dunk got himself into a bit of bother in front of the West Stand second half and waited for Platt to plough into him, and get the free kick which he did. It's the cynical part of the game, but it's nothing to worry about. If you make contact with your opponent, he may fall over and get the free-kick. Just how it goes sadly. I don't neccessarily consider it to be professional but that's the term.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What view point were you viewing from cos from mine he was letting it flow for 15mins then he just got super fussy but bottled it on the stone wall pen.

He was poor very poor IMO.(if he had been Alex Ferguson he would have blamed it on the salmon pink shirts they were wearing).

I was in the East Stand, nearest to the away fans. It certainly wasn't a stonewall penalty, if I was badly placed for all other decisions, I was perfectly placed for that one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought he too picky about taking free kicks and throw in but it worked in our favour for the 2nd goal. I have seen alot worse. Why didnt he follow last week and give a penalty when the Coventry player was pulled down and was only 1 yard outside of the box, I thought that was abligatory.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is there something stopping ex-pros getting into refereeing?

Obviously no gurantee that they will be better than someone whom has not played at a high level, but there seems to be a strange absence.

Obviously there are a new breed of footballer that does not need to work or has invested their pounds in some sort of business, but low end players?

I reckon anyone who's played the game at a reasonable level would need their head testing if they actively CHOSE to then become a referee. Let's face, the FA respect campaign is a total joke. Football ref's suffer constant abuse from players, managers and fans. If the FA really understood what the word - Respect - actually means, then they'd demand the players and managers act as they do in rugby. The FA are a joke , and consequently very few people want the job of refereeing.

I wouldn't do the job for all the tea in china ! Besides which......THE REFEREE'S A WANKER !! :lol:

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

I was in the East Stand, nearest to the away fans. It certainly wasn't a stonewall penalty, if I was badly placed for all other decisions, I was perfectly placed for that one.

Well from the west away end too,he had both hands over the top and pulled him back as he jumped. I will look forward to seeing that one on camera. I was wrong once.....now let me see when was it........:wink:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Have to disagree and agree with the OP. He missed about 4 handballs by Coventry and potentially one by us and how he didn't give a foul for the tackle from behind in the first five mins God only knows. The pull back on Barnes was laughable!!

Don't agree with that, I thought he was very good overall. Did nothing controversial, it was never a penalty for the Painter incident, their "handball" toward the end was desperate and got no attention. He made us retake the free-kick for the winning goal too, so I think he had a good game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well from the west away end too,he had both hands over the top and pulled him back as he jumped. I will look forward to seeing that one on camera. I was wrong once.....now let me see when was it........:wink:

It's possible we're talking about a different incident then, I'm talking about the Marcos Painter tackle. You might be talking about the Paynter incident which I appear to have altogether missed, not really sure how that happened considering it was directly in front of me. ???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Probably like me...a very very long time ago :wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there something stopping ex-pros getting into refereeing?

Obviously no gurantee that they will be better than someone whom has not played at a high level, but there seems to be a strange absence.

Obviously there are a new breed of footballer that does not need to work or has invested their pounds in some sort of business, but low end players?

I think there's a couple of reasons. Primarily, I think we have created a 'them and us' culture with officials and rule makers on one side, and players fans and pundits on the other, and if players were to become refs, it would be like betraying their brethren.

There's also the element of bias or whatever, where you have a player who can't ref the games of the 6 teams he played for, nor the 10 or so teams that were considered rivals, nor those 5 teams that he had incidents with (would you want scott mcgleish reffing a brighton game?), then there will be the teams that feature or are managed by former teammates or managers. As individuals, we may trust a footballer to be impartial, but if you lose, mob mentality would cause fanbases to question refs, players to question refs, and there would be no way to tell for sure if the ref gave a decision in good faith but made an error, or if he was influenced by his past or a friendship.

Then you have the process. Until recently, referees had to retire after a certain age, footballers play as long as the can, then they would have to do the training as a ref, then work their way through the leagues, starting sunday league level, so by the time they get to the professional league level, they have a year or two before they had to retire. While the age limit isn't there, and there was talk of fast tracking former players, it may not be as widely known, and even so, when paired with the points in the other two paragraphs, and the other poster's point about the abuse and disrespect refs get, those that are aware of the fast tracking probably think it's just not worth it.

Plus, there are probably a lot of players who just want to play, and if they can't play they don't enjoy football.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Painter, first half, got the injury which forced him off. What was the Paynter pen?!

Ok, the Painter one wasn't a pen - it was hard maybe clumsy but not a foul.

The Paynter one - just inside the box in front of the d and got pulled down to the floor I think around 20-25 mins. It was more of a penalty than the first penalty at Southampton wasn't last week, an absolute shocker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here