Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ref Harty phone-in - most important Falmer/Staying Up?

For this season, most important Falmer or Survival.

• Relegation/Falmer Yes.

Votes: 49 92.5%
  • Survival/Falmer No - Stay at Withdean for foreseeable future.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

larus

Right, we all want to do well, but I didn't like the attitude of Harty on the phone-in regarding the guy that said that Falmer was more important than staying up this year.

To me, Falmer is more important than staying up. If I had to choose between staying-up/Falmer being declined and relegation/Famer getting the go ahead, there's no question.

I think that Harty has another issue with the guy and was using that to have a pop at him.

So what's most important for this season?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have to agree. Unpalatable as the prospect of relegation is we need a stadium far more. Still I can't see the connection between the two as what goes on off the field has no bearing on what goes on it surely ?

larus

bhaexpress said:
I have to agree. Unpalatable as the prospect of relegation is we need a stadium far more. Still I can't see the connection between the two as what goes on off the field has no bearing on what goes on it surely ?

I agree, except that we are really lucky to be punching above our weight due to the limitations of Withdean. How we can compete against the big-boys at the moment amazes me.

I just felt that Harty was out of order on Saturday, and of the 2 issues, Falmer is the most important.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't it more that the guy didn't CARE if we stayed up as Falmer was the most important thing?

larus

Icy Gull said:
Wasn't it more that the guy didn't CARE if we stayed up as Falmer was the most important thing?

Let's assume that he used those words, then that is surely just a figure of speech. If he didn't care, he wouldn't be coming to the games. All fans care about how their team does, unless they're the 'prawn sandwich brigade'at Manure.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Another season and another string of threads critisisng Harty every time he opens his mouth!

I thought this subject had run its course but as usual its a case of any chance to have a go at Harty on NSC

We all know that sometimes he gets a "bee in his bonnet" and goes off on one but thats because he's passionate about the club.

Maybe he did go over the top about this persons comments but I personally find it quite amusing and refreshing in this day and age when everyone else in the media is scared to say what they think.

I'd rather have him than some faceless presenter who's just doing his job with no real interest in the club.

And most importantly, this is a bit of a silly poll. Why are there only 2 choices - Relegation/Yes and Falmer/No ??

The Falmer decision is more likely to have the opposite effect on the seasons outcome. Surely a Yes decision will give the boost that helps us to survive and a No decision doesn't bear thinking about.

227 BHA said:
Another season and another string of threads critisisng Harty every time he opens his mouth!

I thought this subject had run its course but as usual its a case of any chance to have a go at Harty on NSC

We all know that sometimes he gets a "bee in his bonnet" and goes off on one but thats because he's passionate about the club.

Maybe he did go over the top about this persons comments but I personally find it quite amusing and refreshing in this day and age when everyone else in the media is scared to say what they think.

I'd rather have him than some faceless presenter who's just doing his job with no real interest in the club.

And most importantly, this is a bit of a silly poll. Why are there only 2 choices - Relegation/Yes and Falmer/No ??

The Falmer decision is more likely to have the opposite effect on the seasons outcome. Surely a Yes decision will give the boost that helps us to survive and a No decision doesn't bear thinking about.

Quite simple - the question was is Falmer more important that avoiding relegation. To choose, you must have the choice of one or the other.

And for the 500th time, why is it not allowed to criticise Ian Hart? He does that on a weekly basis to callers (and sometimes non callers). If you say because he used to run Gullseye, I will scream.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He used to run Gullseye that's why (Puts hands over his ears).

larus

The Great Cornholio said:
Quite simple - the question was is Falmer more important that avoiding relegation. To choose, you must have the choice of one or the other.

And for the 500th time, why is it not allowed to criticise Ian Hart? He does that on a weekly basis to callers (and sometimes non callers). If you say because he used to run Gullseye, I will scream.

Thank you TGC.

Yes, it's a choice of one or the other, so that's why there's only 2 choices. Seemed obvious to me :rolleyes: .

As for Harty, yes he does do a good job, but he shouldn't use his position of privilege to have a go at other people. That is uncalled for IMO.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
larus said:

As for Harty, yes he does do a good job, but he shouldn't use his position of privilege to have a go at other people. That is uncalled for IMO.

So you would rather have a faceless non-Albion supporting radio presenter hosting our phone-in?

Like I said -
"Maybe he did go over the top about this persons comments but I personally find it quite amusing and refreshing in this day and age when everyone else in the media is scared to say what they think"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont really understand the question as we will know about Falmer by October which is only 2 months into the season!

If we get Falmer and we are told by the board that there is still no money in the pot and all the money we have goes into builing the place, then I think people will be entitled to request that the club look at Ben's Grandad's "other Investors":p

Seriouisly though, I have been led to believe that once the plans have been accepted by Prescott, all debt incurred in the Falmer Appilcation will be tranferred to the Stadium Company and the Football Club as it stands will be autonomous to this, therefore money WILL be available

Therefore the answer to the question is obviously both

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Why such a choice?

Surely it is important to get a new ground AND to stay up. The case for a new ground is stronger in this division, and if we can stay in this division until we get the new ground, the revenues will be higher and the route to the Premiership shorter.

A valid option may be, a limited squad intended to simply survive playing "no frills" football plus a new ground, or seeking glory in this division now and not trying hard to get a new ground. ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
3gulls said:
Why such a choice?

Surely it is important to get a new ground AND to stay up. The case for a new ground is stronger in this division
The division we are in is a complete irrelevence to the decision on Falmer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
does it really have to be a choice? Catch 22 situation in my view, we go down but get falmer then can't see us being back in this league for a while anyway. Stay up but don't get falmer then we screwed because losing money and so no money for players and the ones we get will leave anyhow. So therefore got to be staying up and get falmer, either or just does not work

larus said:
Yes, it's a choice of one or the other, so that's why there's only 2 choices. Seemed obvious to me :rolleyes:
That's ridiculous.

What happens over the next few seasons is what's important.

If we don't get Falmer, the Club is bound to go into a decline, because key people will leave and it will prove impossible to replace them.

Survival in the Championship this season won't stop that. If you argue that this is the "most important" thing, you've lost the plot.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Playing Devil's advocate, if we dont get Falmer do they have to suggest a viable site where we CAN build a ground?

Therefore a no to Falmer may not mean the 'death of the albion' in the same way it might have before now.

That said I cannot believe that someone has actually vote staying up above Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here