Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref Drysdale?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
About £40k PA plus £600 for a Championship match, well paid but you aren't going to get rich on it. Considering the pressure they are under, it's amazing that more referees don't lose it.

Forty grand a year plus another £600 per match would do me! and all for just 90 minutes of work per week. Ok away from home quite a bit and a fair amount of travelling, but l'd say they do pretty well.

Ok so there is a fair amount of stress and intimidation involved, but any occupation has it's down sides.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Forty grand a year plus another £600 per match would do me! and all for just 90 minutes of work per week. Ok away from home quite a bit and a fair amount of travelling, but l'd say they do pretty well.

Ok so there is a fair amount of stress and intimidation involved, but any occupation has it's down sides.

ha ha

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i believe it was this whopper who missed the boremuff forward kick casper in the face a few years ago , he stood up , blood pissing down his face and drysdale just shrugged as if to say i didn't see it ........he's changed his image a bit since then , gone from janitor to doorman look.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Lower league referees get paid nowhere near 70-100k per year, not even close to that.

I don’t know about now but I know 7 years ago when I was doing a course that entailed a refereeing course with the FA as part of completion - that lower league referees (L1 and L2) earn between £3/400 normally, I’m not sure if it’s still the same now but outside of the championship and EPL the money is still good but nowhere near that of the basic salary in the top two divisions (40-70k + bonuses)

It’s all relative of course but refereeing is a f**king hard job, luckily I was in a position where i was refereeing amateur football, and there is zero tolerance towards referee abuse in amateur football now. Which does beg the question, why are players allowed to act how they do in the professional game?

what are bonuses paid for....?

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Apart from VAR I don't think i have EVER seen a ref change his mind on a decision. Getting in his face and complaining is utterly pointless, players need to be trained to stop it or be punished for it in a game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Apart from VAR I don't think i have EVER seen a ref change his mind on a decision. Getting in his face and complaining is utterly pointless, players need to be trained to stop it or be punished for it in a game.

I don't think too many have gone back to change a decision as a result from someone from the aggrieved side called them a ******* ****** either

SAC

May 21, 2014

I can only think of one game, Fulham v ? (Manchester United, probably). Ref awarded a penalty and was surrounded by players and the ref promptly changed his mind. It was a very big deal at the time as people, correctly, said that it would lead to more players protesting every decision.

You are correct though, players should cut it out.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Erm, Dale Stephens and Mike Dean at Middlesbrough not ring any bells?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
He was an ex RAF sergeant I think I read somewhere.
Maybe we need more military sergeants reffing the games.
Personally I don't see a problem with his reaction.
I think the players behaviour has gone beyond what is acceptable on the human level let alone a football pitch.
Charging up to someone and getting in Thier face wouldn't end well on the street so why are players allowed to get away with it on the pitch against a ref.
I think the ref done well to be honest,showed a lot of self control.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
i believe it was this whopper who missed the boremuff forward kick casper in the face a few years ago , he stood up , blood pissing down his face and drysdale just shrugged as if to say i didn't see it ........he's changed his image a bit since then , gone from janitor to doorman look.

Thought I recognised the name as having ‘form’ with us, hasn’t he been reffing since the Adams Mk I spell or even before that?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think the players behaviour has gone beyond what is acceptable on the human level let alone a football pitch.
Charging up to someone and getting in Thier face wouldn't end well on the street so why are players allowed to get away with it on the pitch against a ref.

He still is in the RAF and is based at RAF Waddington.(all in the public domain)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Some good points. Players go to extremes, clubs don’t control them, it’s no surprise a ref snaps at some point. They should back him after a short rest and clamp down on the in your face charlie’s

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think we need a bit more of this to be fair. Imagine the scenes when Grealish gets decked by a 6 ft ex-Marine.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

But how many jobs includes tens of thousands of spectators watching you do it whilst shouting obscenities and throwing obscene gestures at you.

I’m waiting to see the first linesman drop kick a fan!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This has been in the making for a long time and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened before, given the whinny, snidy, cheating, foul-mouthed antics that happen at most pro games week in week out.

If the football authorities throw the book at Drysdale rather than supporting him and getting clubs to bring their players and managers into line, I'd be happy to see refs right across the professional leagues suddenly finding themselves 'unavailable' for a couple of weeks.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

what about Deans yellow to red foe Stephens on Ramirez......definitely player pressure in action there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here