Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recruitment policy

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That would be fine if that's how oscar wants to work but there are rumblings from a lot of quarters that it is not oscars desire to get more involved.

I would always prefer a manager to be heavily involved in scouting and recruitment but not always the way they work these days

Whatever the reasons, issues or resolutions I think we can all agree let's get on and get it sorted quickly one way or another

yes very much this if what you say is the way he wants it then yes lets find someone else

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
where I must have missed that

He's made very clear the set up he is used to working in, and that is is comfortable in, and that his role within that, is as coach.

I have heard, from an insider, that he is not happy (even) with the (moderate) level of involvement he is expected to have in transfer dealings.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Why are you trying to shoehorn Oscar into a role that he doesn't WANT?

Do we know he doesn't want to be the Manager? As I recall the reason why we recruited a "Head Coach" instead of a "Manager" was to do with avoiding any possible legal challenge when we sacked Poyet?

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
If the Garcia rumours have any foundation, it seems to me recruitment policy is at the heart of it and is a major issue, probably the issue, at the club.

Now I am not devastated if Garcia moves on, and I don't think he has done/proved enough to be throwing his weight around at this point in time. The strikes for him are getting in the play-offs (albeit luckily and not very impressively), overseeing the club regrouping post-Poyet, and coping with crippling injuries to a host of key players right up to the play-off semi-final itself. The strikes against him are often dull and unadventurous football, and dropping a lot of points against inferior teams, and unspectacular recruitment. I'd certainly have given him another season, but if he doesn't want to be here then fine, we'll get somebody decent to replace him.

But it is on this last point of recruitment where there is a lot of uncertainty, and it may not be all his fault.

How much freedom has Garcia been given on transfers? Has he been able to sign any of the players he wanted? How many of his suggested signings have been rejected? The players we did bring in, were they his signings? How involved are Burke and Barber/Bloom on coming up with the initial list of targets? Does it work having a manager with little or no say in signing players they are then responsible for the results from, if indeed that is happening? Is the squad balanced as it stands?

This stuff might not be sexy, but it is really important.

Successive managers, both decent coaches, have now either said, or clearly implied, that they are not happy with this aspect of the club and that they are not being given the tools to do the job. You may or may not believe them. And the club would no doubt counter those claims, but then they would, wouldn't they. They are the ones under scrutiny.

I agree with most if this.

I have said for months (and been shot down every time) that Burke is a very, very big issue and I do not believe he is doing a good job at all. This 'head of operations' or whatever is not working.

We need a Manager, someone who the club trusts to buy the players he wants to make his system work. The club have a responsibility when choosing a manager to ensure he plays attractive football of that is what they want and they choose a Manager they are prepared to give their budget to.

I believe Barber is very good at his job but I am also aware through various contacts that he micro manages everything when it comes to money so I suspect the various levels of structure is a 'safety net' to prevent any one individual having too much power, other than Barber.

Barber was appointed by Bloom and the way he works will have been approved by Bloom so unless he changes his philosophy on how he wants his club run we will not see the back of Burke and we will see Oscar go the same way as Gus and, I suspect, as many managers as necessary until we find one that is happy to be a 'Coach' and work with whatever Burke gives him.

Personally, I support TB 100% but this could mean us never getting a 'proven' manager and based on Burke's signings success percentage, we could be the 'bridesmaids' of the championship for a good few years yet.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He's made very clear the set up he is used to working in, and that is is comfortable in, and that his role within that, is as coach.

I have heard, from an insider, that he is not happy (even) with the (moderate) level of involvement he is expected to have in transfer dealings.

if this is so then why the hell did we employ him
I like you have read and heard he is not happy but most was a little vague at best
if this is so then lets get someone in as a manager and not a coach ..........step up Malky

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I agree with most if this.

I have said for months (and been shot down every time) that Burke is a very, very big issue and I do not believe he is doing a good job at all. This 'head of operations' or whatever is not working.

We need a Manager, someone who the club trusts to buy the players he wants to make his system work. The club have a responsibility when choosing a manager to ensure he plays attractive football of that is what they want and they choose a Manager they are prepared to give their budget to.

I believe Barber is very good at his job but I am also aware through various contacts that he micro manages everything when it comes to money so I suspect the various levels of structure is a 'safety net' to prevent any one individual having too much power, other than Barber.

Barber was appointed by Bloom and the way he works will have been approved by Bloom so unless he changes his philosophy on how he wants his club run we will not see the back of Burke and we will see Oscar go the same way as Gus and, I suspect, as many managers as necessary until we find one that is happy to be a 'Coach' and work with whatever Burke gives him.

Personally, I support TB 100% but this could mean us never getting a 'proven' manager and based on Burke's signings success percentage, we could be the 'bridesmaids' of the championship for a good few years yet.

you paint a very doom filled future also it will give the club a bad name amongst managers good or bad

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
you paint a very doom filled future also it will give the club a bad name amongst managers good or bad

I don't mean it to be sounding gloomy but it is what it is.

If we want to achieve FFP and Barber has a remit to keep everything tight then I cannot see any 'big name' managers being interested. Gus was a novice, Oscar only managed one previous season in Israel.

We might be attractive to a young manager such as Sherwood, Giggs etc. but how long before they get frustrated?

We fans have to decide for ourselves how we feel about it because there are some that want us to splash the cash and go for it and there are others that want us to meet FFP and are quite happy to be a (near) top Championship team.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I make no bones about the fact that I am no particular fan of the way Oscar plays, especially sticking to rigidly playing one up front. Gus in 2010-2011 played Barnes and Murray up front, and then Barnes and CMS established an excellent partnership - look at how they ripped Leeds apart. Then Gus moved Barnes to the wing and it got negative - CMS could not play up front on his own. Oscar has continued it, with Leo alone there.

However, for a short while - Blackburn and Leicester at home, and Wigan away, where though we didn't create many chances we were in complete control (I understand Middlesbrough away was the same), we played excellent football. Yes, we still played one up front, but players like Conway and Crofts attacked in support. Crofts' injury was unfortunate, but I think for me the failure to re-sign Conway was the worst disappointment of the transfer window. The Bridcutt deal was always likely to be done and surely, unless Blackburn were going to pay him a mint, again I think unlikely, I think we should have gone all out to get him. So, did I enjoy Oscar's football greatly? No. Do I think he was backed properly? Equally, no.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I make no bones about the fact that I am no particular fan of the way Oscar plays, especially sticking to rigidly playing one up front. Gus in 2010-2011 played Barnes and Murray up front, and then Barnes and CMS established an excellent partnership - look at how they ripped Leeds apart. Then Gus moved Barnes to the wing and it got negative - CMS could not play up front on his own. Oscar has continued it, with Leo alone there.

However, for a short while - Blackburn and Leicester at home, and Wigan away, where though we didn't create many chances we were in complete control (I understand Middlesbrough away was the same), we played excellent football. Yes, we still played one up front, but players like Conway and Crofts attacked in support. Crofts' injury was unfortunate, but I think for me the failure to re-sign Conway was the worst disappointment of the transfer window. The Bridcutt deal was always likely to be done and surely, unless Blackburn were going to pay him a mint, again I think unlikely, I think we should have gone all out to get him. So, did I enjoy Oscar's football greatly? No. Do I think he was backed properly? Equally, no.
To be fair to the club they did try and sign Grabben who ended up scoring 20 goals.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

could have written that myself
great post
the non-signing of Conway was probably the most disappointing thing this season even more so that selling a great utility player for peanuts (Barnes) Bridcutt was always going to go (perceived to be a Guss man) I HOPE HE WAS NOT SINGLED OUT FOR THIS?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
To be fair to the club they did try and sign Grabben who ended up scoring 20 goals.

we tried to get him on the cheap
who knows how we would have done with him up front with Leo
another disappointment

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Football at large really needs to get it's head out of the sand. Our board seem determined to get this club running sustainably, and it is quite laudable - except that it seems the player budget is never enough. There is so much money in the game, and yet 95% of clubs seem to run at a loss, often a ridiculously sized loss. At what point does football decide "this cannot continue" and do something about it?

It is a bit strange though that we seem happy to throw MASSIVE amounts of money at the stadium and training facilities, and Barber constantly tells us that we're Premier League Ready, except we're not. Because the ONLY place we're not spending money is the main place that will ultimately MAKE us a large amount of money.

It's just a bit odd, is all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The Grabban situation was an utter shambles!
Add not signing Conway when the player clearly stated he wanted to sign, Obika, Lita, Rodriguez, Andrews. All awful signings.
I imagine Blackburn would have offered Conway a much better deal, but agree the loans apart from Ward were useless Rodriguez a league 1 player at best from what I've seen of him.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
There is clearly something not right with the dealings this season and Burke is head of that. Burke out!

Surely Burke must hear the criticism being levelled against him.
I hope he does the honourable thing in line with Oscar, as he has as much, if not more responsibility for footballing matters and tender his resignation.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
It is a bit strange though that we seem happy to throw MASSIVE amounts of money at the stadium and training facilities, and Barber constantly tells us that we're Premier League Ready, except we're not. Because the ONLY place we're not spending money is the main place that will ultimately MAKE us a large amount of money.

It's just a bit odd, is all.
F
Have to agree. It's all very well selling large numbers of season tickets but supporters will want/ no, expect, to see success on the field. Yes, we made the play-offs but to my mind that was largely by default- I.e. Other clubs losing their way and falling away. I'm sure there is also an expectation from many of our new found supporters ( and some of us older ones!) that they come to be entertained. That was hardly the case in too many games thus season. Great facilities, yes, but hardly great teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here