Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record Transfer Fees - Brighton

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
A quick study of relative transfer values is quite scary re the Ritchie and Lawrenson transfers. In 1979 Trevor Francis became the first million pound player. We paid 500k for Ritchie in 1980. The current record is c.£86 mill for bale. You could argue we paid the equivalent of £43 million for Andy Ritchie. Not for very long though.

When Francis signed for Forest he became the first million pound transfer to a British club, the first ever million pound player was a few years before. The British record at the moment I think is Ferdinand to Man Utd for about 30 million which would make Ritchie around 15 million........peanuts!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When Francis signed for Forest he became the first million pound transfer to a British club, the first ever million pound player was a few years before. The British record at the moment I think is Ferdinand to Man Utd for about 30 million which would make Ritchie around 15 million........peanuts!

That can't be right. Man Utd don't buy players, not like Chelsea or Man City. They only use youngsters who grew up within a 2 mile radius of Old Trafford and were taught to play by United's academy.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Wasn't Andy Carroll £35million, Newcastle to Liverpool

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Ferdinand was the most expensive defender in the world at the time, I think it might be Luke Shaw now

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have had that discussion a hundred times with manc fans who have never been within a hundred miles of Old Trafford.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Andy Carroll for £35m

Your right, I forgot all about himor probably still dont believe anyone would pay that for him

Dec 29, 2011
Ferdinand was the most expensive defender in the world at the time, I think it might be Luke Shaw now
Luiz went for £50m didn't he? If you can call him a defender.
That can't be right. Man Utd don't buy players, not like Chelsea or Man City. They only use youngsters who grew up within a 2 mile radius of Old Trafford and were taught to play by United's academy.
To be fair, it's worked out nicely for them. He was there for 12 years which is about £3m a year, not a lot when you consider the revenue he brought to the club by helping them win 6 Premier League titles, 1 FA cup, 2 league cups and the Champions League.
Wasn't Ulloa 2 million euros, which is something closer to £1.5m?
Was more expensive than that, at least £2m, but rumours that it was even more expensive than that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here