Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommndation Chinese Restaurant in Theatreland

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Hi

Going to see The Jersey Boys and then have a meal after. Have a hankering for a decent (not hoi palloy - hi fallutin -nouvelle cuisine places) Chinese meal.

Any tried and tested recommendations?

Thanks

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cant speak for the Chinese eatery.

But as for the Jersey Boys you really, really are in for a treat!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In my experience, avoid the one on the corner of Gerrard Street and Wardour Street unless you are feeling very flush, it is expensive.

Also, avoide the 2 or 3 that have super glitzy entrances, I know one I went to was very poor and overprices, the other we sat watching the rats running along the skirting board towards the kitchen, yuk.

The smaller ones on the north side of Gerrard Street are the ones I have found great. The Dragon Inn is one I remember.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And for God's sake avoid Wong Kei. Filthy and bad food.

But you get what you pay for!!

To be honest I've found most of the restaurants in China Town to be pretty ordinary and tourist hell holes. The best one I've had is the one opposite De Hems on Macclesfield Street. No idea what it is called though.

My advice walk back up Shaftsbury Ave towards Holborn and go to Shanghai Blues. Not the cheapest of places but amazing grub.

Mellors Long Legs

Jul 22, 2009
jersey boys

have been twice to see this brillant musical .Try the italian piccolo diavolo a few doors down from the theatre!!!!!!!!!!!mention brighton the waiters love a wined up !!:thumbsup:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
But you get what you pay for!!

To be honest I've found most of the restaurants in China Town to be pretty ordinary and tourist hell holes. The best one I've had is the one opposite De Hems on Macclesfield Street. No idea what it is called though.

My advice walk back up Shaftsbury Ave towards Holborn and go to Shanghai Blues. Not the cheapest of places but amazing grub.

Sad thing is I've only decided I never want to go there after eating there four or five times! You do get a HELL of a lot of food for your money.

Dandyman

In London village.
Hakkasan, 8 Hanway Place, W1 if you want to get her knickers off.

Yming, 35-36 Greek Street, W1 if you just want some top notch grub.

Dandyman

In London village.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sad thing is I've only decided I never want to go there after eating there four or five times! You do get a HELL of a lot of food for your money.

HAHAHA, as long as you are drunk and everyone with you is drunk I don't see any difference between there or McDonalds/KFC/BK or a Kebab to be honest.

That said I haven't been in there for years to be honest. Do they still have the huge tables that they plonk you at with other people all ready eating?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
In my experience, avoid the one on the corner of Gerrard Street and Wardour Street unless you are feeling very flush, it is expensive.

Also, avoide the 2 or 3 that have super glitzy entrances, I know one I went to was very poor and overprices, the other we sat watching the rats running along the skirting board towards the kitchen, yuk.

The smaller ones on the north side of Gerrard Street are the ones I have found great. The Dragon Inn is one I remember.

Went to a place which from the name (Gerrard's Corner) I suspect you are referring to a couple of years ago and I don't remember it being particularly extortionate.

Having said that it wasn't enormously memorable either, the best Chinese I've been to is in Hickstead of all places.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
New World - opposite the fire station.....

Lived in London for 20 years - and never a bad meal in there...
pricey of course compared with most - but spaceous and good service...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I once ended up pissed in a chinese in China Town, was proper ropey food and selling us cans of beer out of their fridge, got the bill they were charging us £5 PER CAN, and when we disputed it got a rather nasty looking knife out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here