Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend me a decent book

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Anything by Lee Child, ditto Robert Crais, ditto Michael Connelly.

Best take one of each, and extend your holiday.

Enjoy !

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I also really enjoyed Canal Dreams and Whit, but found The Bridge hard going and slightly baffling, I'd stick it very much in the Kafka section of easy reading that one!

Oooh I was going to give Whit a go next. I'm currently finishing Stonemouth, which is ok, but nothing to write home about.

I downloaded a sample of The Bridge but it didn't grab me so I've left that one for the time being.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I love the Roy Grace series but if you want something in the same mold but with more grit and some heart stopping moments, read the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo. Bloody brilliant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oooh I was going to give Whit a go next. I'm currently finishing Stonemouth, which is ok, but nothing to write home about.

I downloaded a sample of The Bridge but it didn't grab me so I've left that one for the time being.

Whit is a real page turner, great characters and narrative which you easily warm to, funny, witty and engaging. The Bridge, one of the few books I actually put down and didn't bother finishing - and believe me I normally persevere to the bitter end.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What I meant was that sometimes seeing a film prior to reading the book can make you less inclined to read it - e.g. I'm glad I read it before I've seen Craig's portrayal of Blomkvist. I fully intend to see the movies now I've finished the series.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Berniers is perhaps my favourite book ever. The film could never live up to it.....and it didn't, an opinion De Berniers shared quite strongly

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
257149.jpg

My absolute favourite trilogy. Amazing read!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The best novel I have read is John Lanchester's 'A Debt To Pleasure'. A wicked, dark tale with some great characters and great menu ideas too. Mostly set in the French countryside, which seems pretty apt.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared" by Jonas Johanson - odd title, fantastic holiday read, you won't regret it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
Anything by Terry Pratchett
John Grisham's always very readable - am saving up one of his for a long train journey next week :thumbsup:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Just finishing 'The true history of the Kelly gang' by peter carey, at the moment, bloody amazing, if you're into a bit of history...

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
"The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared" by Jonas Johanson - odd title, fantastic holiday read, you won't regret it.

Agree - top read that. Also Gone Girl is an unusual book, and enjoyed that.

The Bourne Series is worth a go, as is the Jack Reacher series (Lee Child) - good solid holiday fare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here