Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a new album for Beatles fans

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Absolutely bizarre thread. :rolleyes:

No one is disputing the fact that they were probably the most influetial pop band ever. but there does seem to be a reluctance to give credit to anything else amongst Beatles fans.

This thread is about fantastic new bands that Beatles fans might like to try out to show them that there is some staggeringly good new music as well.

Not saying it's better - or worse - just new!

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
New acts which seem great but I haven't got around to buying the album yet
- Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes album the best of 2008 imo

Perfect example of 'americana', folk and alt counrty rolled into one. For fans of my morning jacket (old stuff) , band of horses, with a 60s/70s folk feel to it.

unmissable !!

(they were great down audio last month too!)

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Perfect example of 'americana', folk and alt counrty rolled into one. For fans of my morning jacket (old stuff) , band of horses, with a 60s/70s folk feel to it.

unmissable !!

If you lean towards folk, then of course there is the incomparable Yorkshire lass - Kate Rusby. New album is Awkward Annie

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Silver Jews

Johnny Cash fans may well like him to as the singer has a very similar voice in most songs

[yt]UVwamE7t_YQ[/yt]

[yt]vLl7c6hNkNA&feature[/yt]

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

unmissable !!

I had a listen to that on Itunes store last week and I very nearly downloaded it, but went for Silver Jews instead. Might give it another go as it is definitely the type of music I like, I'm a sucker for country rock though and was trying not to buy even more :thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
OK - time to be brave all you Beatles fans.....you've had some recommendations and some consistent praise for these two.

Get down to your local record shop (or download from the interweb if that's your thing) and buy these two albums and sample a bit of quality modern music. You might not like them, but you might LOVE them:

Fleet Foxes - by Fleet Foxes
Seldom Seen Kid - by Elbow

Let us know what you think.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Exotic_Creatures_Of_The_Deep_-_

Exotic Creatures Of The Deep by Sparks (2008)

21 albums in (complete with a 21-night London residency playing every one of those albums), it seems that Sparks are defying the odds and delivering their finest works to date. As with previous albums Lil' Beethoven, and Hello Young Lovers, this is pop music, but it's fun, accessible, demented, clever and unlike anything else being made--everything good pop music should be. The narrative approach of the last two albums appears to have been ditched in favour of proper songs (relatively speaking), and a thankful return for Russell Mael's patent falsetto. Thus, "Good Morning" bursts forth, riding on a catchy synth-bass riff that Scissor Sisters would sell their wardrobes for, and "Let the Monkey Drive" builds up into a thrilling, disturbed crescendo. The layered harmonies and multi-part song structures are still in place, but toned down, which makes the material more accessible. And even the hilarious song titles such as "(She Got Me) Pregnant" and the indie-boy baiting of "Lighten Up Morrissey" belie the fact that underneath all the drama and clever lyrics, Ron and Russell Mael are making the best pop music in the world today. --Thom Allott

'Exotic Creatures Of The Deep' is the 21st studio album by the seminal genre-defying duo Sparks. With a career spanningover forty years and renowned for their witty pop songs andconstant music re-invention, brothers Ron and Russell Mael deliver a unique record. Mind-bending and humorous lyrics recall Cole Porter and their musical versatility shines throughout.

was at the first few of the the 21 gigs (halfnelson/Woofer/indiscreet) also seen
Lil' Beethoven and HYL performed live. kin luv em

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here