Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a new album for Beatles fans

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Prompted by another thread, I'm putting out a call to all fans of contemporary music.

Contemporary Music Fans - Please post the name of what you consider to be a great album from the last 12 months or so. Explain why if you like - but no need to justify. Please avoid suggesting predictable AOR like Coldplay - we are trying to get a little wider than that.

Beatles fans - be brave, stop buying old albums and re-mastered copies of 60's stuff and buy a new album from a new band. Use the list below from your fellow NSC'ers to help you.

Take a risk - just choose one and buy it (use the Amazon link on NSC if you like). You may find that you discover something you like and you will certainly widen your experience of music.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid: Under achieving Snow Patrol wannabe's get it right with a superb album. Nods to prog rock and Led Zepp but all their own style.

Jamie Scott and the Town - Park Bench Theories: Light and hummable, but totally likeable band. Still doing live gigs in pubs in London, but has been discovered. Get this before the inevitably disappointing follow-up album comes along.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - SUPERB album

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend - BRILLIO

The Whip - X Marks Destination - less so but i really enjoy it, still.

Buttinhams

Be seeing you!
Apr 24, 2008
Exotic_Creatures_Of_The_Deep_-_

Exotic Creatures Of The Deep by Sparks (2008)

21 albums in (complete with a 21-night London residency playing every one of those albums), it seems that Sparks are defying the odds and delivering their finest works to date. As with previous albums Lil' Beethoven, and Hello Young Lovers, this is pop music, but it's fun, accessible, demented, clever and unlike anything else being made--everything good pop music should be. The narrative approach of the last two albums appears to have been ditched in favour of proper songs (relatively speaking), and a thankful return for Russell Mael's patent falsetto. Thus, "Good Morning" bursts forth, riding on a catchy synth-bass riff that Scissor Sisters would sell their wardrobes for, and "Let the Monkey Drive" builds up into a thrilling, disturbed crescendo. The layered harmonies and multi-part song structures are still in place, but toned down, which makes the material more accessible. And even the hilarious song titles such as "(She Got Me) Pregnant" and the indie-boy baiting of "Lighten Up Morrissey" belie the fact that underneath all the drama and clever lyrics, Ron and Russell Mael are making the best pop music in the world today. --Thom Allott

'Exotic Creatures Of The Deep' is the 21st studio album by the seminal genre-defying duo Sparks. With a career spanningover forty years and renowned for their witty pop songs andconstant music re-invention, brothers Ron and Russell Mael deliver a unique record. Mind-bending and humorous lyrics recall Cole Porter and their musical versatility shines throughout.

Last edited:

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Bright Eyes - Casadega

Ditto the comments re Seldom Seen Kind. A very good album.

For a bit of fun you can't go wrong with the Alphabeat album too. (credibility, assuming I had any, ruined!).

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Prompted by another thread, I'm putting out a call to all fans of contemporary music.

Contemporary Music Fans - Please post the name of what you consider to be a great album from the last 12 months or so. Explain why if you like - but no need to justify. Please avoid suggesting predictable AOR like Coldplay - we are trying to get a little wider than that.

Beatles fans - be brave, stop buying old albums and re-mastered copies of 60's stuff and buy a new album from a new band. Use the list below from your fellow NSC'ers to help you.

Take a risk - just choose one and buy it (use the Amazon link on NSC if you like). You may find that you discover something you like and you will certainly widen your experience of music.

Absolutely bizarre thread. :rolleyes:

I happen to think that The Beatles are the single most influential act ever in what can broadly be called pop music (encompassing everything from crooning, Frank Sinatra say, to roots blues, Robert Johnson, to the amorphously lumped world music; Tinariwen anyone). This is reinforced by the sheer number of what could be described as scholarly works on the band; I think only Dylan comes anywhere near, in terms of such works. As far as I know, no other act has had a work like Revolution In The Head by Ian McDonald about them. Perhaps NSC posters could advise as I would like to read them if there are others.

However, my musical tastes did not end in 1970 with Let It Be. Last night I saw Gnarls Barkley at the Astoria 2; on Sunday I went to Hop Farm to see Neil Young.

2008 great albums:
- Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp
- Rockferry - Duffy
- The Odd Couple - Gnarls Barkley

2008 OK albums
- 22 Dreams - Weller
- Monofuku - Costello
- Viva La Vida - Coldplay

New acts which seem great but I haven't got around to buying the album yet
- Fleet Foxes
- Glasvegas

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - SUPERB album

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend - BRILLIO

The Whip - X Marks Destination - less so but i really enjoy it, still.

totally agree on the first two , will have to check the third one out :cool:

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The only album I play in the car from the last 12 months is Rock Ferry by Duffy other than that it all Quo or Beatles.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
you couldn't give us some details could you? going on a road trip round france and belgium next month:)

Welcome :: Pukkelpop 2008 :thumbsup:

although I just checked and i appear to be talking bollocks about Vampire Weekend.

The other two are definitely there though, and the rest of the line-up is looking good too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here