Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a mid range road bicycle??

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I bought a new bike at the new Giant Shop in Shoreham yesterday.

It’s on the round-a-bout in the High Street by the bridge on the junction of the A283 to Steyning.

Big sale on as like the others say, they’re clearing the 2011 stock.

I bought a Giant TCR0 should have been £1500 but paid £1200.

There was a good choice of Giant bikes and there were a number £700 and under.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My wife mentioned they had a sale on this am so will have to have a look aroud this Sat.

I bought a new bike at the new Giant Shop in Shoreham yesterday.

It’s on the round-a-bout in the High Street by the bridge on the junction of the A283 to Steyning.

Big sale on as like the others say, they’re clearing the 2011 stock.

I bought a Giant TCR0 should have been £1500 but paid £1200.

There was a good choice of Giant bikes and there were a number £700 and under.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Brought mail order from Cyclelane in Scotland as it was on offer and feel confident about the whole bike setup/service. Think Southwaterbikes is the closet shop stocking Felts around Brighton area.

I bought a Felt F5 from Merlin cycles last year for about half price and I have been very pleased with it. The service I received from the store was excellent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's great , cheers. Am checking out the options over the next few weeks and should treat myself mid November. Will let you know how I get on.
Good stuff, definitely let us know how you get on.
I do love the bike threads.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think those Giant bikes are quite expensive even in the sale, been happy with my Kona from day 1 but not a road bike as such.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I couldn't wait and have just bought a Giant Defy 1 2011 model in the sale in Shoreham this morning for £740. Compact version which suits me but had trouble not to grin too much when I was test riding it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Should get it in the next few days after its been checked etc but need some advice as to how to tell my wife.

Defy 1 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | UK / Ireland

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Giant (Shoreham) have some good catalogues for accessories under the counter. The right staff are helpful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should get it in the next few days after its been checked etc but need some advice as to how to tell my wife.
That's easy, just quickly buy a few other bikes, then you should be able to sneak another one in, without much trouble.

Well done, enjoy your purchase, if we see each other on the road, remember it's the tiniest hand flick or head nod for recognition, but only to fellow roadies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I couldn't wait and have just bought a Giant Defy 1 2011 model in the sale in Shoreham this morning for £740. Compact version which suits me but had trouble not to grin too much when I was test riding it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Should get it in the next few days after its been checked etc but need some advice as to how to tell my wife.

You could be in serious trouble if she was not expecting £740 to go missing from the bank account

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That's easy, just quickly buy a few other bikes, then you should be able to sneak another one in, without much trouble.

Well done, enjoy your purchase, if we see each other on the road, remember it's the tiniest hand flick or head nod for recognition, but only to fellow roadies.

Snob. These days I am so slow I've started giving recognition to anyone I see on a bike. :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Good choice, my bottom of the range Giant only £240, six years ago has served me well and is probably my favourite bike due to sentimental reasons.

Said bike may have had it's components upgraded several times though but that is more due to working in a bike shop and being a tinkerman than any necessity. Look after it properly and it will last a lifetime.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Snob. These days I am so slow I've started giving recognition to anyone I see on a bike. :lol:
Tell me your surprised :lol:

One newbie I took under my wing was so embarrassing.
I think he was so pleased to be out and about, he all but rode across the road to shake hands with ANY other cyclists.

A few bollocking later, he finally got the message and now is able to look down on most other road users :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Said bike may have had it's components upgraded several times though but that is more due to working in a bike shop and being a tinkerman than any necessity.
What's it had, 3 group sets, 2 new sets of wheels, and a frame change!.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What's it had, 3 group sets, 2 new sets of wheels, and a frame change!.

Actually at the moment it is back to all it's original components, as I am putting the 105 stuff on to a old Peugeot steel frame, mainly because I do not want to see yet another classic racing bike frame turn in to f***ing fixie. Those haircuts on bikes certainly do not get a nod from me as I pass, wankers. The only thing worse than a fixie rider is one of those idiots who do not have the balls to make the bike fixed wheel but instead cruise around with a single speed instead, these people are the lowest of all cyclists to me.

How is that for snobbery?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top top rantage, to which I agree.
Although not being quite as cosmopolitan as yourself, it's less of a problem here, in god's waiting room.

I've been scouring ebay for another do-er-uper-er, to make some money on, to no avail.

My 'winter hack' starts officially earning it's keep, as of tomorrow morning.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here