Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recession

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Spain built more houses last year than Britain in total since the laste 70's.

That's one of the reasons why they have cheap housing and we have the most expensive in the world.
Thats because the brits have moved to spain and the spanish won't move here,meaning the poles can't afford houses here:lolol:

Buttinhams

Be seeing you!
Apr 24, 2008

That's one of the reasons why they have cheap housing and we have the most expensive in the world.

Nothing to do with Spain being twice the size of Britain then?
Spain 505992 km2
Britain 234411 km2

And have you seen how they build? Everything has a concrete shell.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

i would be interested to see some figures(proof) on spanish housebuilding mate , the spanish property market has collapsed over the past 3-4 years and i find it difficult to believe that they built the amount of houses last year that you claim.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Not to mention we have over 15 million more people:shrug:

Then do what Australia (who have the f***ing room!!!) have done and virtually close the borders. Kick out the illegal immigrants, stop giving every 16 yr old who gets pregnant everything they want so they think twice and SORT THIS COUNTRY OUT :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Then do what Australia (who have the f***ing room!!!) have done and virtually close the borders. Kick out the illegal immigrants, stop giving every 16 yr old who gets pregnant everything they want so they think twice and SORT THIS COUNTRY OUT :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Of course we could start by kicking out all the Antipodeans who are working here on their two and four year working Visas for a start then. We could then chuck out all the South Africans and Zimbabweans who've also moved 'home' as the grass in Africa is not so green now.

Still, we'd still have to allow a lot of people to stay here who although legally entitled to be here can't actually speak English, there's even people who were born here that you can say that of.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Of course we could start by kicking out all the Antipodeans who are working here on their two and four year working Visas for a start then. We could then chuck out all the South Africans and Zimbabweans who've also moved 'home' as the grass in Africa is not so green now.

Still, we'd still have to allow a lot of people to stay here who although legally entitled to be here can't actually speak English, there's even people who were born here that you can say that of.
change the laws that allow them to be here legally then .

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

I said the illegals!!!!!!!!!!! Whils we are sending them back Cut back on the visas for the antipodeans

i would be interested to see some figures(proof) on spanish housebuilding mate , the spanish property market has collapsed over the past 3-4 years and i find it difficult to believe that they built the amount of houses last year that you claim.

I WILL HAVE A LOOK OUT AGAIN, BUT THE POINT BEING THAT THE STATE THERE ( THE GOVERNMENT, REGIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT) ARE STILL BUILDING HOUSES, WHILST BASICALLY THE "RIGHT TO BUY" LEGISLATION AND THE 1981 local Goverment and Housing Act ended state house bulding programmes. We are having this farce with the oLympic Housing!?

We now rely on private developers to build. And it is in their interest to maintain high land values. So they build to maintain the highest land value possible and we have huge number of people on Council waiting lists.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I WILL HAVE A LOOK OUT AGAIN, BUT THE POINT BEING THAT THE STATE THERE ( THE GOVERNMENT, REGIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT) ARE STILL BUILDING HOUSES, WHILST BASICALLY THE "RIGHT TO BUY" LEGISLATION AND THE 1981 local Goverment and Housing Act ended state house bulding programmes. We are having this farce with the oLympic Housing!?

We now rely on private developers to build. And it is in their interest to maintain high land values. So they build to maintain the highest land value possible and we have huge number of people on Council waiting lists.
i wasnt arguing about that mate ,i also agree that council, houses should never have been sold off, and the ones that are available should be allocated far differently than they are now.There should certainly be a proviso that you are a native born briton before you are even considered.

Dear Bushy,

I can't find the stats now, I believe I must have got it from the BBC and in the run up to the Spainish election, earlier this year.

I have found the following

"During the peak of the construction frenzy two years ago, economists described the Spanish economy as a “monoculture” of bricks and mortar and worried that there was nothing to take its place if the building boom came to an end. Construction employed 13 per cent of the workforce. The banking system channelled 60 per cent of all credit to housing-related activities.

Spain was building more homes than France, Germany and the Benelux countries combined. It was consuming half of all the cement in the Europe and it was borrowing massively abroad. Economists agreed that Spain’s credit-fuelled property boom accounted for most of the country’s growth differential with the EU"

Which have some indication of what the Spaniards were up to,

Basically the aim being to build as much housing as possible. Also this is one of the major ways Spanish Local Authorities get new revenue.

We need to get the housing supply balance right. And in areas in Brighton, there will always be limited supply of public housing or any new housing unless we build upon the Downs.

LC

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Dear Bushy,

I can't find the stats now, I believe I must have got it from the BBC and in the run up to the Spainish election, earlier this year.

I have found the following

"During the peak of the construction frenzy two years ago, economists described the Spanish economy as a “monoculture” of bricks and mortar and worried that there was nothing to take its place if the building boom came to an end. Construction employed 13 per cent of the workforce. The banking system channelled 60 per cent of all credit to housing-related activities.

Spain was building more homes than France, Germany and the Benelux countries combined. It was consuming half of all the cement in the Europe and it was borrowing massively abroad. Economists agreed that Spain’s credit-fuelled property boom accounted for most of the country’s growth differential with the EU"

Which have some indication of what the Spaniards were up to,

Basically the aim being to build as much housing as possible. Also this is one of the major ways Spanish Local Authorities get new revenue.

We need to get the housing supply balance right. And in areas in Brighton, there will always be limited supply of public housing or any new housing unless we build upon the Downs.

LC
i can see that, and i am really not trying to be pedantic , but werent a large proportion of these holiday homes ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This recession is gonna hit HARD

House prices in America have fallen 60% in some parts of the country and an average of 35% across the country.

Sell up now and rent for a year then make a small fortune

......at least firstt timers will be able to afford to get on the property ladder again.

Why do people rejoice when the price of a house goes up...and lament when the price of petrol does the same?

i can see that, and i am really not trying to be pedantic , but werent a large proportion of these holiday homes ?

Probably, I was reading a story of a town inland from Resortville, where the number of English had increased to the point, that it now had Spain's first English Mayor.

There has certtainly been over building in the Costa's but from my own knowledge their had been a complete lack of new housing between 1945 to 1980's.
So they are making up for lost time.

Perhaps Spain isn't the best comparison.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Probably, I was reading a story of a town inland from Resortville, where the number of English had increased to the point, that it now had Spain's first English Mayor.

There has certtainly been over building in the Costa's but from my own knowledge their had been a complete lack of new housing between 1945 to 1980's.
So they are making up for lost time.

Perhaps Spain isn't the best comparison.
i had relatives that lived in a place called la marina on the costa blanca, it was like living in england for the lack of spanish voices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is also worth pointing out that the wrinkly old Brits on the Spanish costas are a huge financial drain on local health care. Next time anyone moans about immigrants on the take in this country, just point them to the leather skinned Brits over in Spain.

Give me a Pole over a 'self-made' ex-pat Brit any day.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It is also worth pointing out that the wrinkly old Brits on the Spanish costas are a huge financial drain on local health care. Next time anyone moans about immigrants on the take in this country, just point them to the leather skinned Brits over in Spain.

what is your background mate ? im interwested because from the tone of your posts you seem to have a deep loathing of anything british.from your dislike of " self made" ex pats id take a guess that your fairly intelligent but youve probably failed at most things youve attempted in life ? you probably work in a fairly low level clerical job and are bitter about your lack of status or meaning in life ?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost

With respect, you are talking complete bollocks

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I feel sorry for the honest hard working day to day people who get laid off, and people with large mortgages. However I don't feel any sympathy for

1) Property Developers
2) Solicitors
3) Estate Agents
4) People that own streets of houses

Sorry to be a bastard, but they are one of the reasons we are in the mess. Lets be honest they have had it bloody good, time to take the rough with the smooth.

I'm 33 years of age and still living at home and for me a recession is good news, if it brings the properties down to a reasonable price. Like so many other people in there 30's, I'm not looking to make money from any property, all I want is a roof at a sensible price.

And bringing the discussion back to the original thread ....

As a property developer I object to your inference that I don't work hard or am the cause of the current difficulties. I'm not sure how buying run down properties and developing them into homes people want to buy makes you hate me so much.

It's a living, I'm not minted and I risk my own money on the development. The current down turn has so far cost me over £100k but I'm not complaining - that's the risk I choose to take. In the same way that you choose to work for someone else - you've taken the less risky route through life - nothing wrong with that but don't tar me with some evil brush just because I make my living myself.

I also own some ( not a street ) flats - had it occured to you that without any property landlords there would be no property for rent ? Some people want to rent.

I suggest you think about your arguement before making such ridiculous and incorrect statements. That's not to say there aren't bad developers and landlords out there in the same way there are bad teachers and bad nurses but we're not all bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here