Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recession Consessions - what have you given up?

Michael Bolton

Jan 7, 2009
Singing lessons.

Couldn't afford it anymore so I now work night shifts chipping chewing gum off the streets for 10p a pop.

Ronan Keating

Jan 7, 2009
Buying my weekly comb. Such a shame because I'd grown my hair specially, now it's a mess. Any one have any product recommendations, to keep it in place?

Michael Bolton

Jan 7, 2009
Brylcreem.

Lots of brylcreem.

Alternatively (and this is for real bad hair days) a vat or two of industry grade PVA. Sure to attain the sleek look you're going for, Ronan.

Ronan Keating

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks Mike. Also, if you're looking for cheap singing tuition, Ronan Keating's sing-a-long is affordable, informative, and just great fun!

Glad I could help ;)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Harleys pizza after football - approx cost: ten quid plus home delivery tip

Instead, buy one of Dr Zoetykzehanrahanrahans's out of Mr Shah's.

Even allowing for outrageous mark-up, you'll be quids in :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Season ticket at the Albion this year - saw this recession coming, coupled with rising fuel costs. Fact we're having a shit season's a bonus in some respects! (if you get my meaning)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Gonna scrap Sky HD+ which is costing us £48 a month. :ohmy:

Will get FreeSat, and buy/rent cheapo DVDs - with the "extras", most DVD movies give pretty good value in hours per £.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Season ticket at the Albion this year - saw this recession coming, coupled with rising fuel costs. Fact we're having a shit season's a bonus in some respects! (if you get my meaning)

Reckon the way forward on that score might be to buy tickets for individual games for the first half of the season, then buy/not buy half-season tickets for the, er, second half of the season, depending on how up-for-it the team looks. Might just focus them a bit.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gonna scrap Sky HD+ which is costing us £48 a month. :ohmy:

Will get FreeSat, and buy/rent cheapo DVDs - with the "extras", most DVD movies give pretty good value in hours per £.

Your Sky box will work as a freesatfromsky box once the subs end, no need for a freesat box.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are loads of other things you can do; if you buy full fat milk, water it down 2/3 milk and 1/3 water. Makes it go further and you won't notice it

Buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook longer

My mother has done the milk one for ages and tastes like it is watered down milk, awful. In fact on Corrie the other day a woman wanted semi skimmed and Dev didnt have any so he suggested a pint of full fat and a pint of skimmed mixed would be the same. We used to get people in the pub buying a 1/2 of Kaliber and mixing it with 1/2 of Fosters and drink it all night and think that they would be still under the limit

The cheap cuts of meat and cook longer has been advocated by most of the chefs on TV especially for cheap mince.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I got a 15% rate cut so:
We've canned Sky Sports
I bring my own food into work
We shop around for pretty much *everything* now

But funnily enough, we're actually managing better and are happier than we were before!

Oh and it's nice to see you back, Zef :thumbsup:

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
I've switched to interfering with dolphins. Here's a tip for keeping your post coital ciggie dry. A pack of ten bennies fits snug in the blow hole. You'll have to be quick though, as we all know, the price of "swimming" with dolphins is rocketing.

CoCoa

Dec 18, 2007
credit crunch

Told my cat it’s time she fended for herself, but after a dismal attempt to hunt and kill she’s wormed her way into the affections of mad old Betty over the road and now gets fed there.

Away games, car share instead of going by (much more fun) train.

take lunch to work instead of buying rip off sandwiches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here