Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recession Consessions - what have you given up?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Given up takeaways and we have cut our costs with telephone bills and Sky plus taken a fixed price for electricity, got a better deal from our car and home insurance and plan to cut conspicuous consumption to zero, also culled my books and sold them on Amazon. have you got any handy hints or tips to deal with the credit crunch?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Given up takeaways and we have cut our costs with telephone bills and Sky plus taken a fixed price for electricity, got a better deal from our car and home insurance and plan to cut conspicuous consumption to zero, also culled my books and sold them on Amazon. have you got any handy hints or tips to deal with the credit crunch?

Most major buildings have a service area for boilers and air conditioning equipment. If you can locate the exhaust grill it makes a nice warm location to sleep.:thumbsup:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Most major buildings have a service area for boilers and air conditioning equipment. If you can locate the exhaust grill it makes a nice warm location to sleep.:thumbsup:
There is enough hot air on NSC to keep me warm :D

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I now earn in a week what I used to earn for a couple of hours work, so I've had to make some quite drastic cuts!

Smoking - used to smoke 20 a day. Now buy in packets of 10, and only smoke when I REALLY crave one. No longer smoke out of habit. I've bought 10 since Sunday. I've found I don't really need to smoke the whole cigarette to curb the cravings so make each one last 3 smokes. Not keeping a stash in the flat stops me just smoking the packet out of habit!

There are loads of other things you can do; if you buy full fat milk, water it down 2/3 milk and 1/3 water. Makes it go further and you won't notice it

Branded food items; buy cheaper/value brands and mix the 2 together to save money. Store it in the branded box/bottle and psychologically it will feel as good as the branded version

Buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook longer

To satify occasional takeaway cravings, I buy those take aways in a box from Sainos. £6.99 for 2 main courses with rice and side dishes. You get a huge amount of food and it would cost closer to £20 from a takeaway!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've given up loads of food, It's got nothing to do with the recession It's just that I've become a fat bastard.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Given up gym membership, negotiated a better deal on my mobile phone, reduced my Sky TV subscription, look for better deals on groceries etc. not been to any away or cup matches this season.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Doing overtime at work means I miss some Saturday games

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not much but we tend to pay for everything on the debit card as oppossed to the credit card and owe neigh on nil to credit card companies - caution I suppose

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
nothing because I have always lived within my means and not lived on credit, but I don't have a mortgage so what do i know

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Got rid of stuff I absolutely never used/needed - Setanta, mobile insurance. Figured out I was paying €220 a year to reduce my health insurance's GP cover excess by €220 - which I rarely even got to, so pulled that.

I've started taking lunch to work the odd time also.

Not really doing it because of 'the credit crunch', doing it more to release cash for other stuff, mostly travel.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've given up hoping The Albion will get out of this sodding division for another season. :(

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Next years season ticket is very possible, especially after the shit that has been served for the first half of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here